Saint Joseph Mercy Health System

Saint Joseph Mercy Health System Employee Reviews

It’s a good place to work and you can learn a lot about the medical field. It is a very professional environment. Great benefits, competitive pay. The company makes sure staff are provided proper PPE equipment to do our jobs effectively while feeling safe.
Pros
Flexible with school schedule.
Cons
It is sometimes hard to get time off especially on weekends.
I no longer work at this hospital , had to quit due to an injury. I miss the staff , the patients , the whole atmosphere . It was a very good place to work.😬
Pros
Flexible, friendly atmosphere.
Evidence-based patient-centered care TEAM. Best hospital I have ever worked at! No matter your role, you are a respected & important part of the team.
I have loved my time as a Perfusionist at St Joe's Ann Arbor. The entire team is wonderful to work with, especially the surgeons. They are the nicest group I've ever worked with, always focused on the needs of the patient, fast and very talented. The work life/balance is great and the salary and benefits are very competitive with 28 days of vacation. We have 5 Perfusionist doing around 700 cases per year so the work load is busy but not overwhelming, especially since most cases are pretty quick.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, lots of vacation time, good salary and benefits
Cons
A member of Trinity Health so the wheels turn slowly when you need something done
The work is easy, most of my coworkers are pleasant and easy to talk to. Benefits are great. The amount of we work we do from other departments on top of our own workload is ridiculous. Pay is extremely low, fast food restaurants and other retailers make more money. Schedule is nice enough that you're not working past 5 or 6 but the schedule does fluctuate of when you come in and leave, which makes it hard to to schedule things or go back to school if that's what you wanted.
Pros
Good benefits, easy work, good work environment
Cons
Low pay, inconsistent schedule
Share your experience
Let job seekers know what it's like to work at your company.
The Unit Manager on 11 East needs to go!! She is horrendously rude and severely incompetent. We have lost several amazing nurses because of how she upholds the attendance point system. If this situation doesn’t change up here there will be severe consequences across the entire hospital. I’ve garnered dozens of signatures to bring in a Union. It’s a real shame that things have to be like this. I love my patients and my job but there needs to be more leniency when it comes to this attendance point system.
Pros
Decent Pay, Pto, Overtime if you want it
Cons
See Review
Can’t imagine working for another company. The unit I have worked on has been flexible with school and kid schedules. For the most part it is a team effort and my work is appreciated
Pro’s: St Joes is an over all great place to work. I’ve worked at three different locations in the area and (mostly) loved every single person I’ve encountered. Company has been extremely giving during this COVID-19 pandemic. Great benefits. Can swipe employee badge to pay for prescriptions, food at the cafeteria or coffee shop. Flexible scheduling. Cons: Pay isn’t the best, I know local food chains and retail stores that get similar or more, which is unfortunate given the amount of work that’s expected and the nature of the work. Processes are constantly changing with the new system. Managers in other departments don’t make sure their employees know their role or how to do it, therefore making work load heavier for the other departments having to pick up the slack.
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
Poor pay
Dont do it please its literally like working with elementary school children. One minute everything is fine next minute everything get messed up. If you other Avenue's of work take that route.
St. Joe's is a mission-driven organization. I have enjoyed leading the Marketing/Design team and being part of a strong leadership team for the past two decades. Creative branding/design and commercial production work fuels my energy and working with smart, fun colleagues is the cherry on top of the sundae!
Pros
Great working environment with advancement opportunities.
Cons
Regional vs. local work was challenging.
This wasn't a bad place to work. I left for more personal reasons. Upsides; free parking, no management on weekends, and (usually) good patient ratios. Downsides; no union, small raises, difficult to get into management.
I love working in the healthcare industry and Mercy Health St. Joseph Warren allows me to work close to home. They have flexible hours and the staff is friendly.
I was there for two years and in that time i was in track to get married and had a honeymoon. I was always on time and never missed work. they decided to punish my vacation by telling me it was my fault for things being misplaced and orders not being fulfilled after i worked 10 straight days before my wedding and vacation this leaded to me find other opportunities through which i found a company willing to pay and listen to my recommendations and other problems. In this company there is no employee loyalty or compassion as my former coworkers mother had passed and my manager decided to give her a hard time about her taking off time to go to therapy for herself. So in other words stay away from this hospital you should rather look into University of Michigan.
St. Joe's is a decent place to work, pay is fair. The hours are ok, but working every other weekend and the oncall's are ridiculous. The work is ok, what you would expext in the ER.
The employees recognize that we represent one another and work well together as a team. I've learned that respect goes a long way in a leader ship role.
Pros
respectfule coworkers
Cons
Need more support from management
I worked on 5 North was just an all around difficult floor to work on as a new nurse. We had many inappropriate admissions for a med surg floor where the patient to nurse ratio was 5-1 and sometimes 6-1 or 7-1. We had many confused elderly patients that were high fall risk and because the nurses needed an even amount of the confused elderly patients, sometimes my assignment was spread from one end of the hall to the other. Management was not very supportive when I had issues and that made the job much more difficult. At St. Joe's, they had what was called a VOICE report and it was a place where you could place complaints either anonymously or not. One time I placed a complaint about my assignment being spread out from one end of the hallway to the other and management was upset with me because it reflected poorly on the floor, but had no care for me as their individual nurse. This is not to say that the entire hospital was terrible, because I do not know about how the other floors are. But I know that 5N was not a friendly environment for a new nurse to work.
Strong cohesiveness amongst team members. Approachable, friendly site manager, as well as, the staff physicians. I like how the staff acknowledges everyone's birthday.
Pros
Close proximity to residence.
Cons
Susceptible to minor viruses; Pediatrics office.
I have previously worked for Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital in two other departments. My experience with the Clinical Laboratory was very poor. The management was poorly fitted for the position with no experience or interest in the laboratory. I love laboratory science and have a passion for advancement with education and experience. This position was just a placeholder to people to come in do little work and get paid. Very poorly run laboratory with little emphasis on safety and regulations.
Was constantly humiliated by a boss who thinks it's a good idea to blurt out your mistakes in the presence of the rest of the staff which only increased my anxiety. Despite the company's "core values", rudeness was tolerated widely.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Company not sensitive to ppl with emotional health challenges
The people I worked with where great the manager at the time was horrible, rude and mean, when I put my two weeks in she treated me even worse after. Worse manager ever
Nothing too glamorous. Just what you would expect from a hospital. Everybody is busy everywhere doing their things. Some days can be stressful more than others and some arent.