Saint Joseph Mercy Health System

Saint Joseph Mercy Health System Employee Reviews

United States84 reviews
The people you work with are great, management doesn't have a clue.
St. Joe's is a decent place to work, pay is fair. The hours are ok, but working every other weekend and the oncall's are ridiculous. The work is ok, what you would expext in the ER.
See below
St. Joe's is a mission-driven organization. I have enjoyed leading the Marketing/Design team and being part of a strong leadership team for the past two decades. Creative branding/design and commercial production work fuels my energy and working with smart, fun colleagues is the cherry on top of the sundae!
Pros
Great working environment with advancement opportunities.
Cons
Regional vs. local work was challenging.
Good workplace and good people
This wasn't a bad place to work. I left for more personal reasons. Upsides; free parking, no management on weekends, and (usually) good patient ratios. Downsides; no union, small raises, difficult to get into management.
Fun workplace
I love working in the healthcare industry and Mercy Health St. Joseph Warren allows me to work close to home. They have flexible hours and the staff is friendly.
This company sucks
I was there for two years and in that time i was in track to get married and had a honeymoon. I was always on time and never missed work. they decided to punish my vacation by telling me it was my fault for things being misplaced and orders not being fulfilled after i worked 10 straight days before my wedding and vacation this leaded to me find other opportunities through which i found a company willing to pay and listen to my recommendations and other problems. In this company there is no employee loyalty or compassion as my former coworkers mother had passed and my manager decided to give her a hard time about her taking off time to go to therapy for herself. So in other words stay away from this hospital you should rather look into University of Michigan.
Would you rate your company five stars?
Rate your employer to help people make better career decisions.
Team player coworkers
The employees recognize that we represent one another and work well together as a team. I've learned that respect goes a long way in a leader ship role.
Pros
respectfule coworkers
Cons
Need more support from management
Difficult floor
I worked on 5 North was just an all around difficult floor to work on as a new nurse. We had many inappropriate admissions for a med surg floor where the patient to nurse ratio was 5-1 and sometimes 6-1 or 7-1. We had many confused elderly patients that were high fall risk and because the nurses needed an even amount of the confused elderly patients, sometimes my assignment was spread from one end of the hall to the other. Management was not very supportive when I had issues and that made the job much more difficult. At St. Joe's, they had what was called a VOICE report and it was a place where you could place complaints either anonymously or not. One time I placed a complaint about my assignment being spread out from one end of the hallway to the other and management was upset with me because it reflected poorly on the floor, but had no care for me as their individual nurse. This is not to say that the entire hospital was terrible, because I do not know about how the other floors are. But I know that 5N was not a friendly environment for a new nurse to work.
Productive and very well-kept medical facility.
Strong cohesiveness amongst team members. Approachable, friendly site manager, as well as, the staff physicians. I like how the staff acknowledges everyone's birthday.
Pros
Close proximity to residence.
Cons
Susceptible to minor viruses; Pediatrics office.
Clinical Laboratory Specimen Processing
I have previously worked for Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital in two other departments. My experience with the Clinical Laboratory was very poor. The management was poorly fitted for the position with no experience or interest in the laboratory. I love laboratory science and have a passion for advancement with education and experience. This position was just a placeholder to people to come in do little work and get paid. Very poorly run laboratory with little emphasis on safety and regulations.
Insensitive to employees with emotional health challenges
Was constantly humiliated by a boss who thinks it's a good idea to blurt out your mistakes in the presence of the rest of the staff which only increased my anxiety. Despite the company's "core values", rudeness was tolerated widely.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Company not sensitive to ppl with emotional health challenges
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System?
Medical Receptionist
The people I worked with where great the manager at the time was horrible, rude and mean, when I put my two weeks in she treated me even worse after. Worse manager ever
Work as usual
Nothing too glamorous. Just what you would expect from a hospital. Everybody is busy everywhere doing their things. Some days can be stressful more than others and some arent.
Not all departments are the same...
However, working in the call center routing switchboard calls was a terrible experience. I would suggest applying to any other department. The CCR positions are fairly easy but, those who work in the department make the job unbearable. Apply with caution.
i wanna come back
I left thinking that i would be happy doing something different with a new atmosphere. I left there and was off for the summer until i started at the UOFM. I wanna come back to St. joes
Poor Management
Very Poor Management. Scheduling is horrible and required Holiday, Weekend and on calls interfere with associate personal life with absolutely no consideration or compassion for associate.
I felt as though I was making a difference
I always enjoyed coming to work. The office was a fulfilling place to work and I got along with our patients. I knew many of our patients by first name or their face. They knew mine as well. I saw them when they first came in and as they left, got to know them over time and enjoyed being part of that journey.
Don’t make the same mistake I did
The manager is not honest or up front about the expectations of his department when you accept a position or in the interview. He will never help his staff when they are drowning in work and uses the schedule as a form of punishment to show his authority. He talks to his staff in a unprofessional manner and does not care how they feel about issues. It’s his way or NO way. if you try to address concerns you get a target on your back. He mandates extra weekends, on call weekday shifts and on call weekend shifts if you ask for a day off he deliberately schedules that day or weekend and tells you “ o well, find coverage or trade the day”. Don’t make the same mistake as I did. This was one of the worst respiratory jobs I have ever had. Love being a respiratory therapist again now that I am at a place with a manager who listen, respects, and cares about her staff and does not try to intentionally treat their staff in a derogatory way!
Pros
Nonr
Nice place to work
The best thing about Mercy is the fact that they offer 32 hour as well as 40 hour positions. They have great benefits. Worked with great people in my department and other departments as well. Worked as a nurse so work-life balance is challenging, especially when you can be mandated to take off for low staffing, but have to be on call in case it gets busy. The benefits are good, the salary was fair and comparable to other places. Overall a good place to work.
Pros
Benefits, salary
Cons
Work-life balance
Would Not Recommend to New Nurses
Management is condescending and believes what they want to hear and see. The new nurse orientation is an absolute joke. It is disorganized and new orientees are left to figure most things out on their own. When things are brought to management's attention, they basically call you a liar, as if there is any motive to make up how the training program is being handled. Any new nurse wants support and for their orientation to go as smooth as possible, but that is not how it works there. If a new nurse asks questions regarding the preceptorship, the department manager will throw in your face that you have a nursing license, right? You've given medications before, right? This atmosphere does not support new grads in any aspect. They also never give any positive feedback. A little support and encouragement goes along way!

They preach how supportive the agency is during orientation but when an issue arises, management is the LAST place an employee should seek out for help and support. They are quick to turn a blind eye to the truth and believe one side of the story. This is an unsafe place to work and quickly became a place I was not willing to lose my license at. They treat their new graduate nurses as if they've all been nurses for 5+ years. It is a sink or swim training environment.

This is not the place for anyone new that expects a solid foundation as a nurse. God forbid a new nurse actually wants to be trained and have the ability to ask questions and trust that management is on their side. That does not happen at St. Joe's Pontiac. You are left to stand alone and figure
 - more...
Pros
Cons
Management, Lack of Training, Bullying
18 years and going
I consider myself fortunate to have worked at SJMO for the past 18 years. Obviously there's been some stressful periods related to changes in workflow and workload;however I have always had great support form my management and coworkers. Workdays are challenging but interesting and gratifying.
Pros
Schedule, Pto, support from managment
Excellent company to work for
I'm currently employed for St Joe's and I have no intention on leaving. The hospital as a whole is a very nice place to work and I feel really cares about their employees. The pay for a pharmacy technician is very competitive, if not, a lot better than most places.
Pros
Good pay
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
3.8Personal Development
4.1Career Opportunities
4.1Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight