Saint Joseph Mercy Health System Employee Reviews

Not a good place to work.
Medical Assistant (Current Employee) –  Livonia, MI and Ypsilanti, MIApril 23, 2018
I’ve been with the company for over 3 years. Looking for a new job as we speak. Management is horrible. Problems are never resolved. No bonuses, low pay, raises are a joke.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Overall, a great place to work
Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 14, 2018
Great place to work. Real commitment to excellence! The staff is very caring and committed to service. Very positive environment. I would highly recommend anyone pursuing a health care career to look here first.
Pros
Free parking, great work environment, caring staff
Cons
pay is not the best for certain positions
Progressive, high quality health system
Chief Nursing Officer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIFebruary 11, 2018
Very focused, highly reliable organization, with excellent teamwork. Excellent nursing staff and physicians. Mission-oriented, with strong onsite and system-wide leadership. Strong financial management and continuous process improvement. Many employees spend their whole career at Saint Joseph Mercy Health System.
Pros
Misson oriented with strong, ethical leaders, high expectations for quality
Cons
Fast pace of growth across the health system, keeping appropriate nurse:patient ratios
Great Hospital, Bad Security Management
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MINovember 25, 2017
Chelsea Hospital is a good place to work at. Most all people are professional and very nice, even upper management/administration are all great people.

Problem is: The Security Sergeant/Supervisor is a loud mouth with a hot temper. He is totally unfit to manage which is probably the reason he was released from his past job. This is a person who knows nothing about the hospital he works in, refuses to be of any guidance to his staff and pretty much just sits in his office all day instead of doing anything! I guess if you can get away with getting paid for doing nothing than why not?
Pros
Nice work environment.
Cons
Working for that Security Sergeant/Supervisor.
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 9, 2017
Good place to work if you're going into healthcare. I liked the opportunity to work on all different floors, just wish the people that worked there were actually nice
Home Care division-overworked, no respect, poor management
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedNovember 6, 2017
I left my job as a field staff nurse with this company after several years, due to a change in leadership, ownership and protocol for handling patient care.
There is NO work/life balance.
Field staff are sent large distances and productivity requirements are set with no regard or concession for travel time or visit acuity.
Management is unresponsive and when they do respond to emails and calls, there is a complete lack of support or willingness to listen to concerns.
Patients do not receive adequate care, visit frequency is underutilized even following hospitalization and exacerbation, due to both the company protocol that each patient is allowed a very low number of skilled visits, and also due to very short staffing, with the recent mass exodus of employees.
Pay is consistent with the market, however, if one considers the number of hours required to be worked in a day to meet productivity, in a salaried model for field nurses, pay is highly inadequate.
There is a major communication breakdown between office and field staff, causing visits to be missed, important lab work and treatments to be missed, and then when these issues are caught, field staff is sent out on a moment's notice to see patients who are already irate with the substandard handling of their case.
I would not recommend this company to prospective employees or to patients.
Pros
N/a
Cons
See review
Hostile and incompetent supervisor. Numerous patient safety issues .
Perfusionist (Former Employee) –  Cardiac surgeryNovember 6, 2017
Incompetent and hostile supervisor. Management does not care. Nepotism and cliques. Power held by few individuals who will make your work life miserable.
You are working at an institution that does not value you as an employee. If you are not part of the clique, then you have no place to go. Cardiac surgery department is the worst place to work. The work environment is very hostile and unfair. Be careful about bringing patient safety issues to light as you may experience retaliation and extreme hostility. Better look for a job elsewhere.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Poor management. Hostile coworkers and supervisors. Lots of patient safety issues.
Awesome
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2017
Great place to grow in your career, competitive salary .it made the top ten best hospital in the country we are a 5 time magnet award winner.we have outstanding team work our motto we're all in this together , outstanding in helping the needy over a hundred years old we merged with Emory health care 5 years ago
Pros
Perks all though the year
Cons
Na
it's a great place to work
RN (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 5, 2017
it's a great place to work. the focus is on the patient, yet work-life balance is important to the leaders there. that's one of my favorite things - the leadership model has always been transformational, even before that was 'popular'
Pros
plenty of parking, nice campus, nice people, great doctors
Cons
really can't think of any
Variety of interesting work
Director, HRIS (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 2, 2017
St. Joseph's offered a wide variety of challenges and opportunity. I enjoyed working with the progressive technology there and the many interesting projects I was able to lead. I ultimately ended up leaving as I was recruited for a better opportunity.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Bureaucratic governance
Poor Wages
Procedure Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 29, 2017
I worked here for 8 years and was barely given any raises. Left this role for another local hospital with a very similar position and was offered over $4 more an hour just to start.
Great place to work.
Director of Pharmacy Services (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 21, 2017
Health Care is a dynamic entity and leaders must have an appreciation of that.

It was a great environment to advance ones leadership skill set and their benefits were outstanding.
Pros
Serve the community well and advance relationships
Cons
Long Hours - Short Staff
Good learning experience
Patient Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MI 48106August 7, 2017
Good learning basis for working in a hospital. I has medical experience in working in a physician's office, but no prior hospital experience. There is a lot to learn. There are many opportunities to work in other sections of the hospital.
Productive and caring facility
Building Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MichiganAugust 2, 2017
I have been at SJMH since 1984. I have worked in 3 departments as an aspect of perspective of how it works in healthcare. The last 20 years I have been in Maintenance. The role I have is important even though I don't have direct patient access in this current position. The atmosphere is upbeat and caring with staff. I enjoy my position because everyday is different because the uninspected can and does happen. The most challenging of my day may be serval departments needing my services at the same time. I would prioritize from emergency first to non emergency. Management is comfortable and trust my decision making concerning the facility and my duties.
Pros
challenging experiences to improve skills
Cons
lack of advancement
Productive and enjoyable
INTAKE ASSESSMENT LVN (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CA 92805August 1, 2017
The workload is always hard but we have a team that works together to make sure that all patient needs are met and patient/ and family are satisfied. As an intake assessment LVN, we receive at least 30 new referrals per day and we spend 8 hours on the phone communicating with hospital liaisons, MD offices and Skilled Nursing facilities to help coordinate care. We process referrals at a timely and accurate manner to meet patient's needs. We value teamwork at our department which makes the job less stressful for us.
Management ineffective
Regional Manager, Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 12, 2017
Management changing. Recently acquired. Great staff and good place to work, but under resourced with unrealistic expectations for availability of funding.
Excellent learning curve for experience
Lead Collector (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMay 23, 2017
Fast paced environment, great learning experience. Even though it was going thru a lot of changes at the time great place to work. Enjoyed interacting with different departments.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
needed better benefits
Fun & Educational place to work
Telemetry Technician (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 12, 2017
Everyone is very friendly and you learn a lot while on the job! It is quick paced but everyone helps one another. The staff makes you feel like a part of the family.
It was great when I first started
Patient Services Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIApril 5, 2017
I left because the atmosphere of the department was to young. and was not offering any more money, but wanted to add more job descriptions and the management was not understanding why staff was so angry
Great!
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Bryan, TXMarch 27, 2017
This was my first time exposed to a marketing position and to be the brand ambassador to a major company. St Joseph is a well respected brand int the Brazos Valley area and I enjoyed my time interning with them.