Saint Joseph Mercy Health System Employee Reviews

Poor management and incompetent staff.
Prefer not to say (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 14, 2019
Poor management. Conflicts of interest within the department. Poor training. Unorganized schedule.(Never knew where I'd be from day to day). My manager was unprofessional and when I brought it up to her boss I was told to deal with it because she was leaving soon and she is that way with everybody. I would not recommend getting a job here.
Pros
Cons
Poor management
worst decision you will ever make
Respiratory Therapist (Current Employee) –  st joes oaklandMarch 6, 2019
The respiratory Manager is one of the worst I have ever worked for. He is very negative, condescending, and never has anything nice to say about his staff. The department is ran on a skeleton crew and he does not care. the staff is very overworked and frowned upon for taking a lunch or break. Worst mistake I ever made was leaving my current job and coming to St Joes respiratory department.
Pros
always have work
Cons
short staffed, poor manager, no support.
Excellent Work Culture
Patient Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MIFebruary 21, 2019
Great company to work for, the work atmosphere is very team oriented. Excellent training for current and new employees. Management is understanding and flexible.
Lab Assistant/Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Warren, OHFebruary 14, 2019
Typical day at work consists of dealing with various situations involving patients needs. At times it can be challenging to get their cooperation. This has taught me patience. I learn a little more each concerning dealing with people. This is the most challenging part of my job.
Pros
Set schedule and consitent work evironment
Cons
Difficult patients
Good experience
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 19, 2019
I enjoyed my time with St Joe. I left because I needed full time employment. It was also hard to move to other departments. I applied for a position in another department. My application was in review status for 2 weeks before being turned down.
Pros
Co-workers, some of the doctors and nurses were friendly, work schedule
Cons
Full time not available, not able to advance to other departments
short days
Janitorial (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIJanuary 15, 2019
was not enough hours to maintain a living. started off with as many hours as i wanted but slowly went down to less than 20 hours per week. was required to get a flu shot
A good place to work
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 8, 2019
I worked there for almost eight years,it was a good place to work,the management was pretty good and easy to get along with and always willing to help,the staff was decent,i enjoyed m time there.
Pros
Job security
Cons
low pay
A great teaching hospital. I learned so much!
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Dunwoody, GAJanuary 7, 2019
From entry level to the CEO very professional. Well organized. Very willing to encourage the staff in skills and education. Great group of nurses they work as a team. The mission of compassion and to show mercy.
Pros
Very rewarding and satisfying
Cons
Very little it was very positive
Poor management
Case Management (Former Employee) –  livoniaDecember 10, 2018
Management including Human Resources, offers ZERO support it's nurses/employees should problems arise they do nothing to intervene with inexperienced managers.
Pros
Hours
Cons
poor leadership
Could be a great place
CSPD (Former Employee) –  Pontiac MichNovember 28, 2018
SJMH is not loyal to their employees. always short staffed and no proper training for new employees, No room for advancement. no team engagement, Nepotism. Manager has a my way or no way attitude, never available and untruthful, poor to no follow up. .Non supportive. Afternoon Supervisor has a bad attitude unapproachable, .
Pros
Fair pay and benefits
Cons
understaffed. mandatory overtime. no team engagement
Good place, good people
SUPPLY CHAIN INVENTORY TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 22, 2018
Like any other job, can be stressful at times but the work isn't hard, a little challenging but not hard. Avenge hours with a little over time here and there.
Middle management unknowledgable (some-certainly not all), immediate crew and pamazing
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 3, 2018
Love the team-from reception staff to physicians and everyone in between. But middle management isn’t very knowledgeable, which in turn causes much unnecessary difficulty, making everyone jobs harder. Suggestions and constructive feedback is NOT welcomed.
Pros
Insurance mid range, various extras available if wanting to pay for them, nonprofit
Cons
Fair to poor match 403B, minimal education opportunities unless directly required for job (ACLS for ex)
very busy
Telemetry Technician (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 28, 2018
Saint Joseph mercy hospital is a good place to work. It can be very busy and stressful. I have learned a lot from working here. I do like that they help with tuition reimbursement.
Clinical rotation/student
Student Jan (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 24, 2018
Great environment for students to learn in, friendly hospital with comfortable private rooms for patients. All of the technology was up to date. Environment was easy-going.
Review
REGISTERED NURSE (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 13, 2018
I love working for St Joes in Ann Arbor. The facility is beautiful, senior nursing management is inspiring. Tuition reimbursement is lower than I would like. Benefits are not as good as I would like. Despite 13 years of experience, being certified, belonging to a nursing organization and chairing my unit based council and sitting on 3 other leadership councils I am having a tough time advancing my career. I'm looking outside of the organization at this point.
My favorite place to work so far!
Lead Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 8, 2018
St.Joseph is a great place to work. They offer excellent patient care and really try to find the root of the problem. They treat everyone with great respect.
Pros
Awesome doctors!
Awful Management
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 4, 2018
I was hired as a social worker, but would "talked to" when trying to help patients access community resources. After a few months I went to HR regarding my supervisor and within 2 days I was let go. You couldn't pay me to go back.
Pros
Cons
Management, no support
Great place to work and grow my career
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 27, 2018
Love the mission-driven compelling work that I do! So thankful for an inspiring leader who helps me to get resources needed, removes barriers and encourages me. Supports continued education - the tuition reimbursement benefits is so much better than any of my previous hospital employers! Since joining SJMHS I am so happy. My career has taken off, I love the work I do and the people that I work with and know that we are making the difference in the lives of patients and the community.
Pros
Benefits, culture, pay, atmosphere, career advancement
My standard for how to run a radiology department
1st Year Student Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 23, 2018
Being a first year student not knowing what to do and not wanted to screw anything up, i was really stressed out because of how much i beat myself up. I am thankful that the techs were patient with me as i tried to learn as much as i could in the one year i was working there. the manager was efficient and would jump into the department and help when needed. the radiologists are also patient with students which is a plus.
Pros
Location next to my school, Techs know how to teach, dedicated OR techs
Cons
large size
Endoscopy
Endoscopy Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 18, 2018
With any position there are pros and cons. The patients are great to care for. The staff is great to work with. The management has positives and negatives.
Pros
staff
Cons
hours