Saint Joseph Mercy Health System Employee Reviews

My favorite place to work so far!
Lead Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 8, 2018
St.Joseph is a great place to work. They offer excellent patient care and really try to find the root of the problem. They treat everyone with great respect.
Pros
Awesome doctors!
Awful Management
Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MISeptember 4, 2018
I was hired as a social worker, but would "talked to" when trying to help patients access community resources. After a few months I went to HR regarding my supervisor and within 2 days I was let go. You couldn't pay me to go back.
Pros
Cons
Management, no support
Great place to work and grow my career
Manager (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 27, 2018
Love the mission-driven compelling work that I do! So thankful for an inspiring leader who helps me to get resources needed, removes barriers and encourages me. Supports continued education - the tuition reimbursement benefits is so much better than any of my previous hospital employers! Since joining SJMHS I am so happy. My career has taken off, I love the work I do and the people that I work with and know that we are making the difference in the lives of patients and the community.
Pros
Benefits, culture, pay, atmosphere, career advancement
My standard for how to run a radiology department
1st Year Student Radiographer (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 23, 2018
Being a first year student not knowing what to do and not wanted to screw anything up, i was really stressed out because of how much i beat myself up. I am thankful that the techs were patient with me as i tried to learn as much as i could in the one year i was working there. the manager was efficient and would jump into the department and help when needed. the radiologists are also patient with students which is a plus.
Pros
Location next to my school, Techs know how to teach, dedicated OR techs
Cons
large size
Endoscopy
Endoscopy Nurse (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIAugust 18, 2018
With any position there are pros and cons. The patients are great to care for. The staff is great to work with. The management has positives and negatives.
Pros
staff
Cons
hours
Awesome caring hospital that I miss!
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Chelsea, MIAugust 16, 2018
A job I looked forward to going to. I worked with an incredible group of dedicated and caring Nurses. Every day focus was "The Patient and family" What we could do to help and make them as comfortable as possible Team Leaders that would work along side you and listen to new ideas. I like staying busy so I never liked to stand around. I would go back help make beds, stock, assist in any way I could to help the patient.
I left only because I moved out of State to be near my daughter
Great place to work for
Leave of Absence Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJuly 16, 2018
Great place to work. The people there are great but management is not the best. A lot of favoritism within the department. Need more advancement opportunities and need to hire a more professional and experienced department supervisor.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No work / life balance
I enjoyed working here
Radiologic Technologist (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, INJuly 9, 2018
I really liked this job. I enjoyed the overall atmosphere of the hospital. My co-workers were great. Everyone really tried to get along and work together.
Fun environment
Admin Assistant to the Director of Construction (Former Employee) –  La Palma, CAJune 25, 2018
I had an opportunity to grow and be exposed to confidential documents, upcoming future sites not known to the the public. Very organized staff in a fun environment.
Pros
Flexible schedule, Pto
Cons
Stressful
provides on the job training
Hospital Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMay 29, 2018
supports staff training and development. provided on the job training that allowed me to advance. PTO based on years of service and accrued by hours worked.

Want to know more about Saint Joseph Mercy Health System?

Ask a question
Practice Manager
Office Manager & Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Bloomfield Hills, MIDecember 20, 2017
Recruited and managed four physicians and twelve staff members
Managed full cycle medical billing for the practice
Handled payroll, bookkeeping, and inventory of office and medical supplies (immunizations, injections)
Credentialed all physicians with insurance companies
Work ethics different between my generation and today
RN Floor Nurse, Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHDecember 16, 2017
Very fast paced med-surg. floor.I learned who I could trust to work along side me to meet the daily care needs of patients.I worked very hard to meet the care needs of patient so when I left at end of my shift I know I did my best. Hardest part was that not all my patients got the same attention as others because care needs. Best part of the job that I made a difference in someone's life
Pros
I was able to get along with the people I worked with
Cons
Very fast paced sometimes no breaks or meals
Home Care division-overworked, no respect, poor management
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  UndisclosedNovember 6, 2017
I left my job as a field staff nurse with this company after several years, due to a change in leadership, ownership and protocol for handling patient care.
There is NO work/life balance.
Field staff are sent large distances and productivity requirements are set with no regard or concession for travel time or visit acuity.
Management is unresponsive and when they do respond to emails and calls, there is a complete lack of support or willingness to listen to concerns.
Patients do not receive adequate care, visit frequency is underutilized even following hospitalization and exacerbation, due to both the company protocol that each patient is allowed a very low number of skilled visits, and also due to very short staffing, with the recent mass exodus of employees.
Pay is consistent with the market, however, if one considers the number of hours required to be worked in a day to meet productivity, in a salaried model for field nurses, pay is highly inadequate.
There is a major communication breakdown between office and field staff, causing visits to be missed, important lab work and treatments to be missed, and then when these issues are caught, field staff is sent out on a moment's notice to see patients who are already irate with the substandard handling of their case.
I would not recommend this company to prospective employees or to patients.
Pros
N/a
Cons
See review
Hostile and incompetent supervisor. Numerous patient safety issues .
Perfusionist (Former Employee) –  Cardiac surgeryNovember 6, 2017
Incompetent and hostile supervisor. Management does not care. Nepotism and cliques. Power held by few individuals who will make your work life miserable.
You are working at an institution that does not value you as an employee. If you are not part of the clique, then you have no place to go. Cardiac surgery department is the worst place to work. The work environment is very hostile and unfair. Be careful about bringing patient safety issues to light as you may experience retaliation and extreme hostility. Better look for a job elsewhere.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Poor management. Hostile coworkers and supervisors. Lots of patient safety issues.
Awesome
Unit Secretary (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2017
Great place to grow in your career, competitive salary .it made the top ten best hospital in the country we are a 5 time magnet award winner.we have outstanding team work our motto we're all in this together , outstanding in helping the needy over a hundred years old we merged with Emory health care 5 years ago
Pros
Perks all though the year
Cons
Na
Variety of interesting work
Director, HRIS (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAOctober 2, 2017
St. Joseph's offered a wide variety of challenges and opportunity. I enjoyed working with the progressive technology there and the many interesting projects I was able to lead. I ultimately ended up leaving as I was recruited for a better opportunity.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Bureaucratic governance
Productive and enjoyable
INTAKE ASSESSMENT LVN (Current Employee) –  Anaheim, CA 92805August 1, 2017
The workload is always hard but we have a team that works together to make sure that all patient needs are met and patient/ and family are satisfied. As an intake assessment LVN, we receive at least 30 new referrals per day and we spend 8 hours on the phone communicating with hospital liaisons, MD offices and Skilled Nursing facilities to help coordinate care. We process referrals at a timely and accurate manner to meet patient's needs. We value teamwork at our department which makes the job less stressful for us.
good place to work
Tender Loving Care Partner, Team Leader, P.T. Tech (Former Employee) –  Hot Springs,ArJuly 5, 2017
they help a lot of people. It is a clean and safe place to work. the staff is nice and easy to get a long with. they have many specialty doctors and equipment. But the TLC's no longer exist.
Management ineffective
Regional Manager, Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAJune 12, 2017
Management changing. Recently acquired. Great staff and good place to work, but under resourced with unrealistic expectations for availability of funding.
Excellent learning curve for experience
Lead Collector (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CAMay 23, 2017
Fast paced environment, great learning experience. Even though it was going thru a lot of changes at the time great place to work. Enjoyed interacting with different departments.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
needed better benefits