Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital Employee Reviews

4.2
Ratings breakdown
The hospital gives the emplyees the exampl es that they care about their staff but when they need to show it, it comes off as just lip service.
RN (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIFebruary 26, 2018
They are like most hospitals they talk a good game, but their actions aren't supportive. They do offer some supportive activities for employees benifits.
Pros
fair pay with fair benifits
Cons
don't always back up their words with actions
I worked on the Mother/Baby unit
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 21, 2017
I loved my job very much and the people I worked with. I assisted nurses and doctors to help care for Mothers and newborn babies. I woud help Mothers after surgery, teach them how to nurse their babies, and preform tests on newborns, answer call lights ect..
Pros
flexible
Cons
stressful
Great at first, downhill from there
Specialized Pharmacy Technician Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIDecember 8, 2017
It loses the shimmer after about 6 months. Toxic work environment unless you keep your head down and do your work. Management does nothing about the catiness and there are no repercussions for people not working.
whatever
Patient Service Representative II contingent (Former Employee) –  Sonoma, MINovember 22, 2017
poor work life balance didnt care about your child being sick didnt pay much crazy hours poor management didnt want feedback even though they asked for it
Great Hospital
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 18, 2017
Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital Ann Arbor is a great hospital to work at, very friendly staff and always willing to help each other. As an RN I go in confident that even on a bad day people are there to help you.
Very fast-paced and challenging work environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Main HospitalSeptember 22, 2017
A typical day could range anywhere from relaxing and easy-flow work day with plenty of time to provide exceptional patient care, to spending significant amount of time on 1 or 2 patients that are tanking and barely having time to see your other 2 or 3 patients. Lots of learning opportunities which is very beneficial in building your confidence. Co-workers are exceptionally team-oriented and supportive.
Helpful and very patient centered workplace
Certified Nurse Assistant (Current Employee) –  Chelsea, MIMay 1, 2017
I really enjoy the team atmosphere at St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea. I have a lot of support from the staff and management every time I work. I have learned that working in a patient centered workplace has turned into very good patient feedback and patient satisfaction. I think the hardest part of the job is that I am contingent, so it is hard to build relationships with the other employees. The most enjoyable part of my job is the gratitude and appreciation I receive from patients when I work with them.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Very short lunches, if any
Great Benefits
Environmental Aide (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIAugust 7, 2016
The employee benefits are amazing! Good people to work with but the overall pay in every department is lower then other local hospitals.
St Joseph Mercy Hospital had a solid reputation in the community
RN Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, Guyana, South AmericaNovember 12, 2015
I was a clinic nurse at the hospital. The location was in Georgetown Guyana in a third world country in SA.They were good to their employees and compensated them fairly.The hardest part of the job was when we had to leave. I was a volunteer and feel the people did more for me than i could ever give back.
Productive and very organized
Claims processing Rep. (Current Employee) –  Ann ArborOctober 8, 2015
Process claims, I call the insurance companies to status claims, balance pt's acct's, update patients acct's with updated insurance information, rebill patients acct's due to dx updated. Answer Insurance calls.
I enjoy my coworkers we all get along very well, we help each other out whenever we get stuck on how to bill something, we share new information with eachother.
My hardest part of my job is leaving work with work still waiting to be done, I try my best to leave work with every thing clear and clean for the next day, but sometimes that doesn't happen due to forces out of my control.
The most enjoyable part of my day is working with my family I have grown to know here at work, and also the enjoyment comes from knowing I am doing my best to make a difference, which would be in getting claims paid for my patients..
Pros
free coffee
Cons
to much work, not enough workers
On the phone all day with insurance co
Medical Biller (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 30, 2015
I loved working here but once I had my baby, I stayed home with him. I loved the people I worked with and dealing with the insurance companies.
Pros
Learned alot about billing
Cons
There werent any
great staff
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  ann arborSeptember 25, 2015
great staff, friendly environment. wish we had better tuition reimbursement. beautiful building and grounds. management is so so.
Cons
Next to no retirement benefits. $1200/yr for tuition reimbursement.
PATHOLOGY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MISeptember 18, 2015
This was a great place to work for...The group of people were fun and worked awesome as a team not just an individual. Miss working for this company.
Pros
everything
Cons
Na
This hospital foster and promotes healing physically, mentally and spiritually, and they provide the services to do so.
Health Unit Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 29, 2015
This company is a great place to work, for those seeking advancement in their medical career. A typical workday is like none other, their is a constant environment of learning that takes place daily. The co workers become like family, and you grow to love those with whom you work with.
Healthcare Business Professional
Radiology Imaging Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ann ArborJune 28, 2015
The management loved my work ethic, and my skills. There is never a typical day in the position I held. Once you walk through the door your day started. This position is a Above high stress level position, so you have to be quick on your feet, and no medical software. This position is healthcare at all levels, clerical, administration, business, business law, nursing, medical coding, IT professional, and social skills. I respected all of them, and management. I loved this job because. I became great at it,and I learn so much.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
short staffed
Great Benefits
assist nurses in ordering procedures (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor MichiganFebruary 9, 2015
If you are looking for benefits and not so much a higher salary this is the place to work. Great patients and great co-workers.
over all good
RN (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJanuary 12, 2015
I think SJMHS overall is a great company to work for. I work twelve hour nights in the MICU. My coworkers are amazing; the support we have and the flow when we work together under unusual or acute situations is like "a well oiled machine". I have gained many skills and used evidence based practice in my care of my patients. The hardest part of the job is the level of sickness that our patients have. You have to be a strong person with strong convictions. Losing a patient is something that happens often and something that I have learned to be the strength for the family at those difficult times. The best part of the job is when I actually make a difference in the life of my patient or their family.
Pros
great co-workers, experience, training
Cons
no real breaks, midnight shift is tough
Very busy hospital with a lot of compassionate staff
Patient Care Technician (PCT) (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIOctober 27, 2014
I worked in the Oncology and Hospice and that can be a very sad stressful place. The staff was great at helping one another and the patients to deal with their diagnosis. It was hard to lose patients on a daily basis. Management was supportive and as flexible as can be expected in a hospital setting.
Pros
The hospital benefits were great
Cons
very stressful and short staffed
Productive Work Environment
Pharmacy Tech II (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIJuly 8, 2014
There is no typical day at work in the Pharmacy Department! Every day is a different adventure.

The most enjoyable part of my night at Saint Joseph Mercy Hospital Inpatient Pharmacy was knowing that I was providing excellent patient care by providing them with the medications necessary in their recovery process.
Very professional atmosphere focused on patient care.
Radiographic Technologist (Current Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MIMarch 20, 2014
I enjoy being an employee here. It really is a great company to work for. The only reason I am looking to leave is because there are no part time/full time positions at this time so I'm looking to relocate out of state for a better job opportunity.