Saint Mary's Home of Erie

Working at Saint Mary's Home of Erie: 25 Reviews

United States25 reviews

managementworkresidentstaffgoodgreatdaycare

Management in the building was a joke

The kitchen staff are awesome. Admissistration was a joke only cared about nusring staff. We were not appricated at all. Worried about appearances, bad wages for kitchen staff

January 16, 2023
Saint Mary's East (East side) was sold Jun 1, 2021. We have no affiliation with this facility.

Sorry to have to leave them!

As a former RN, the work environment at Saint Mary's at Asbury Ridge is wonderful. Everyone works as a team and residents are put first. The Unit Supervisors and the DON work to accommodate your schedule. The benefits are really good with PTO accruing every pay period and new sick time hours every month. There is a generous 403b program with Lincoln Financial and they have a 4% match. The health insurance is very good with a choice of either Blue Cross or UPMC. The employee contribution is only $25 per pay for single coverage. Eight months ago they gave all RNs a $6 pay increase and then there was a general wage adjustment this past February. The 3-11 shift differential is fantastic and there is also a weekend shift diff. There is no shift rotating and nurses get every other weekend off. I was sorry to leave but had to resign because my family moved out of town!

Pros

Paid lunch break

Cons

n/a

Saint Mary's Home of Erie insights

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

Sense of belonging, good work/life balance

SMHE is an amazing place to work. I feel like I can talk openly with other employees and everyone is very welcoming. The CEO is very hands on and cares for the company. There is a sense of community and inclusiveness.

Pros

Great benefits, compensations and work/life balance

Great place to work!

I love working at Saint Mary's Home of Erie. I love working with the residents and I have a great team of coworkers who help me out. Some days are hectic, but it is makes it all worth while when the resident smiles at you and thanks you for taking care of them. Management is great and has really made the employees feel appreciated - especially during the pandemic. Staff received generous wage increases and incentives recently. The benefits are excellent also.

Horrible work place

Management is horrible, no matter how good you try to satisfy your co-workers or managers as In taking others shifts, staying longer, and doing as much as you can, you’re never good enough for them.

Production

Very good company they trest the employees best way possible. They have the best insurance and s matching 401k. They have a dtrong future. I wasn’t hesitate any further about ending my career here

No incentives, poor management

There were no incentives to working extra or overtime. Definitely did not get paid enough. The management doesn't care about their employees or residents.

Substantial pay adjustments were made for all employees in June 2021

Caring staff that works together as a team. Engaging and challenging work. Great leadership and co-workers. Good work/life balance. I enjoy going to work every day.

Baby sitting

The people are nice but management is awful. I offered to help out due to I'll have a few days off during the week now with new job and they refused. It's like a kick to the guy. Also felt like I was babysitting the guys at work because all they wanted to do was good around and never serious.

Pros

Nice guys to work with when they work

Cons

Rate is awful

Not a good place to work

This job is so unorganized .. D.O.N is rude and has a smart mouth management sucks No one gets treated with respect the pay sucks.. I feel bad for the residents!!! Speak your mind and they start looking at you side ways... racistism is another thing that I see around here

February 21, 2022
This was at the former Saint Mary's East, it was sold 6/1/2021. This is no longer a part of Saint Mary's Home of Erie.

Will never work there again wasted years of my life

Horrible place to work. Nurses supervisors and D.O.N treats u like ur scum of the earth. Never try to work with you. Even the scheduler doesnt know what she's doing and has a very rude attitude and smart mouth. They are just now increasing pay by a darn dollar for all the work u do

February 21, 2022
This was at Saint Mary's East. It was sold 6/1/2021 and is no longer part of Saint Mary's Home of Erie.

Questionable

From the ceo, administration and team leaders , management is very poor. The director of support services and the team leader in a department under him are very maniacal, self serving individuals. Favoritism is ferocious. Upper management turns a blind eye to the actual problems.

Love this job!

I think I finally found the job I will retire from with Saint Mary's Home of Erie. I've worked in many industries around Erie, as my job skills are highly transferable, and Saint Mary's is a keeper. Full Time employee health insurance is 100% company paid with lots of supplemental benefits available for purchase at great group rates. Paid holidays that are flexible, vacation, personal AND sick days, inexpensive lunch options available on site, and very accommodating scheduling. This is a customer-service orientated environment serving our residents and each other, which isn't for everyone. I enjoy knowing that we SERVE Erie and provide an asset to the community. While I'm not a caregiver, I use my talents to streamline the business end of the organization. Every job here is important and that is apparent in the appreciation departments have for each other. I am glad to be here!

What a disappointment

There is no training! There is no limit to the amount of hours expected to work. Not a friendly or stable environment. Nothing I was told upon hire was true. The residents are wonderful and I feel horrible that this is their home.

Certified nursing assistant

I liked working there nice atmosphere an great staff . I fell in love with my residents. They are the reason I came to work everyday. I stayed there for 3 years before leaving to go back to school.

Horrible place to work, absolutely horrible

Where do I start? The management is completely incompetent. They treat their staff as disposable, if youre not part of the management clique you better watch your back because you will be the fall guy. They create unsafe conditions and put you to work in them, and if anything bad happens its your fault. Severe Nursing staff shortages, the residents arent being taken care of because they dont have enough people. Nursing staff dosent get legally mandated breaks because there is no one there to cover for you. REPEAT: SEVERE NURSING STAFF SHORTAGE. Its no wonder no one wants to work here, they treat you like a slave and abuse you. Insurance isnt good, it has a 7500 deductible. This place is operating highly illegally breaking many laws. IF you like to be abused daily, risk your license, be treated as a bottom feeder, constantly harassed by your dimwitted supervisor, worked like a slave this is the place for you.

Pros

1.50 meals

Cons

no breaks, management treats employees as bottom feeders, supervisors dont have a clue

One month

I only lasted one month. And I was out. Horrible management. Cliques. Felt like high school. Don’t want to train new employees. Here’s the keys, there’s your cart. Good luck.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Everything else

Fair pay, excellent insurance but, dismal work environment

At first, I was very excited to be hired there. Then, I quickly learned that this job wasn't what I expected. Within two weeks, I realized that I made a big mistake accepting this job over the other two offers that I had at the time. I, like many others, was fired for an invalid reason t. This happened because, a co-worker reported me for something that he had no proof of but, since he had been there for 12 years and I was new. They automatically took his word over mine. The admins in this place didn't even want to hear my side of the story. This organization is your typical religious based organization that is governed by lies and hypocrisy. Its about as phony as the nun that is the CEO of these frauds. Make one tiny little mistake there and you will be fired. There website's home page clearly states that "St. Mary's home of Erie is steeped deep in Catholic traditions" I guess that they forgot about that forgiveness thing that they're always preaching. Also, you are not allowed to go outside of the building for regular breaks and lunch breaks.They will fire you for that too. The maintenance department has 7 employees at full staff. They had gone through 9 people (not including myself) in the 7 months prior to my first day of work there. The maintenance manager at St. Mary's East is cocky and arrogant and needs a lesson in professionalism. The director of buildings and grounds is about as spineless a person as you can possibly be. The H.R. director is also a two-faced, arrogant backstabber as well. Bottom line: The employees of this fraudulent religious organization are treated -

Pros

Free health insurance

Cons

Too many things to list here.

No support from management, too many chiefs

This place is horrible to work for, if you're not part of the management clique then you are treated like a outcast and will get thrown under the bus by them. Nothing is confidential and if you express new ideas then you become a target to be fired. No room for advancing and your not allowed outside on your break for fresh air. Very controlling environment

Pros

Free insurance

Cons

Poor managemt, no team work, too many cliques.

Always nitpicking

Looked for reasons to get rid of me. No one there to protect your job. No job security. The Human Resource Director is biased and the company gets away with things like nursing shortages.

In Need Of New Management

The management is terrible. They are not fair. A lot of respect given to nurses while nurse aides are treated as bottom feeders. They do not listen to the staff nor take any suggestions.

benefits

Cons

Very Poor Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saint Mary's Home of Erie. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about Saint Mary's Home of Erie in popular locations

• Saint Mary's Home of Erie
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?