Saint Paul Public Schools Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Communication lacking
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 20, 2018
Repeat offenders did not get punished for their crimes and were sent back to continue disrupting classrooms over and over. And over. Expectations were not communicated to staff. Teachers could do or say whatever they wanted to, but aides were held to a much higher standard. Aides were often blamed for the teachers' inabilities to control overcrowded classrooms.
Pros
Workday was over early
Cons
Communication and respect were lacking from administrators
The work place
Teacher Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 8, 2018
They nice work place and very friendly workers. It felt more like family than co workers. I wish I could go back and work for St. Paul School System. Also Saint Paul Public schools is one of Minnesota's largest school districts with more than 37,000 students. Highly trained and deeply dedicated staff, cutting-edge academic programs, and strong community support are among the district’s hallmarks.
Great Place to Work!
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 4, 2018
A caring school district with plenty of room for job advancement, great teachers are easy to come by, and the workplace culture is team-oriented, progressive, and inspired.
Productive and team orientated workplace.
Special Education Paraprofessional (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 4, 2018
I enjoyed working with the students and the staff. It was great to witness the students growth from the start to the end of the school year. I learned a great deal of knowledge working with the school district. The workplace culture was respectful and team orientated. Staff always worked cohesively for the benefit of the students.
Fun and supportive work environment
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 23, 2018
In a typical day you can expect to have support to become successful. I learned that there are many ways they try to support you to become successful. They have good management and the work culture is very supportive. The hardest part of the job is having to deal with students with challenging behaviors and not taking it personally. The greatest enjoyment is seeing how your support helps students become successful.
Pros
Strong supportive union
Cons
Legislature is not supportive of public education
Saint Paul Public School
Substitute Teacher/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMarch 6, 2018
I been working with Saint Paul Public School and other school in the Metro. I been a substitute teacher and also teacher aid and early childhood teacher. I love working and helping kids and staffs.
Peter Principle Incarnate
Assistant Principal/Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 25, 2018
Archaic
Toxic
Male Dominated

Focus is on preservation of status quo rather than what is best for children.

Money is wasted in big initiatives that have little to do with enhanced services for community and family, more to do with what is "PC" at the time.

Reactive rather than proactive
Pros
children
Cons
central administrators and principals
not attentive, poor management, no accountablity
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNFebruary 6, 2018
If you are new to the workplace or experienced this is a good place to work or get your foot in the door. Make sure you have good attendance since this is a must there. Alot of people are over worked and under paid. This can cost you your job if you do not pay attention to this.
Pros
free lunch, field trips, off when kids off, advancement
Cons
long days, rude employees, expensive benefits
Welcoming and engaging environment
Group Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 6, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job is the kids. They are all terrific, fun, and bright. As an intern, they were very kind to me and treated me with respect.
great workplace
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 28, 2017
a typical day at ,y location included riding the school bus with a child from my case load making sure that they are safe and well behaved, followed by heading to my first classroom a first grade classroom making sure my student is eating breakfast before we start reading which i assist the child in and through out the day i assist the child and or children in multiple subjects and follow their schedule accordingly. dealt with behaviors.
Pros
being able to improvise lessons
Cons
n/a
Job security
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 17, 2017
You job is depending on the budget. If you get the job, you will be safe for the school year. Otherwise, you will be cut and you will know by May.

Love serving parents and staff!
High Stress
Special Education Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 22, 2017
The job roles were all very rewarding. But the jobs were also very stressful. Some schools were very easy to work at. And some were very hard. I would only recommend a position to someone who is very good at managing stress.
Pros
Extremely rewarding
Cons
Extremely stressful
Lack of direction and civil communication from manager.
Accountant 2 (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNAugust 31, 2017
Job description became very broad as "whatever I was told to do". Poor communication from management. Lack of direction. Union salary was determined by the job title not what the actual responsibilities were. OT was unpaid.
Benefits
Cons
New supervisor
Job security
Custodial Worker (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul MinnesotaAugust 27, 2017
The same Paul School District was laying people off I was the lowest man on the totem pole and it's seasonal want mind going back would recommend it for other workers
Pros
Funworks
Cons
Cutthroat job position
Great environment and very rewarding
Educator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 4, 2017
I work there with a group of people that are willing to make a change and put their all into it. Management is great and care about the staff. An environment that is fast paced and fun to work at.
Sped
Special Education Coach & Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 4, 2017
The bulk of my career has been in SPPS and would highly recommend it to others. I truly am thankful for what I have learned in SPPS.

I would love the opportunity to have a Director/Supervisor position in SPPS and leverage my experience and licensure area.
Overall Good Place To Work
Education Assistant/Academic Support (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 29, 2017
I have enjoyed my time at SPPS. The student's are the best part of my job. Administrators can build up a school or destroy it. It is great to be a part of a union. The as an EA having someone looking out for your pay, and benefits and making sure that you are treated well is wonderful.
non-profit schools
Multiple Positions (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 10, 2017
Saint Paul Schools like many urban school districts face many challenges to educating students primarily living in poverty. Teachers and staff are very dedicated.
enjoyed making new relationships with the scholars
Teachers Assistant 2 (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNMay 1, 2017
Everyday was something new
very over whelming
sometimes you get attached with feelings
you feel like a slave working and not getting anywhere
you do way more work than you get payed for
all the work gets done because of you while the staffing above you does nothing
benefits
Cons
short breaks not enough pay
Great company
Paraprofessional/ Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNApril 10, 2017
I love working for this company. You do get excellent benefit's and all of your co workers are nice and willing to help you. I do like how the students are welcoming and the environment is wonderful to be in.