Saint Paul Public Schools Employee Reviews

Great big city school
Teachers Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNDecember 2, 2018
From a TA to now substitute teacher, St Paul Public schools is a diverse, vibrant and critical pice of this cities livability. Highly recommend this if you're looking to teach.
Depends on what team you are
Data Security Admin (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNOctober 16, 2018
I work in the Tech as always it is crazy busy. Compensation and benefits are good. Management is good and people around you will help you if you need something. The most enjoyable part is that you get good vacation hours and snow days in winter.
Pros
Good health innsurance, vacation hours
Cons
work load
pretty good job
GROUNDS SERVICE WORKER (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNOctober 8, 2018
honestly its a nice job. a lot of the job is drive time traveling from school to school all 67 of them. the bosses are cool and there is never a huge rush
St.paul School district is a wonderful workplace
FACILITY SERVICE WORKER/BOILER ENGINEER (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNSeptember 18, 2018
St.paul schools is a wonderful place to work with lots of fun staff and families. I learned how to do many tasks while at this job from basic vacuuming to waxing/stripping floors and extracting rugs. The best part about working here is being able to help keep school buildings clean and presentable for the kids that come learn. We want the best experience to be for them as they are our future leaders. The hardest part about this job could be labor but it always paid off with many thank you notes from students and staff.
Pros
Awesome people
Cons
Company politics
A challenging position
Day Engineer (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 18, 2018
Is a employer that expects a lot but does not always support
the people involved. The lack of commutation can be a
challenge. The job can be physical and stressful at times.
The wage and benefits are better than most employers.
Challenging, but rewarding
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNSeptember 8, 2018
Again, because I'm a Special Education teacher, the day is always stressful especially at the school I taught at. This was a Level 5 school meaning that these students had severe behavior problems. This was the last school setting before they go to juvenile detention, so some of the students were pretty hard core.

I've learned, working with these types of students, that if I respect them, they will respect me too. So, as hard core and rude as they were, I would never disrespect or talk down to them. I exercised a lot of patience and I know that helped them a lot.

The hardest part of the job was managing these students and having to deal with their behaviors when they totally lose control of their behaviors.

The most enjoyable part of the job, is seeing some of these hard core students make some progress in becoming a little more controlled, and serious student, or just make some kind of minor improvement from when school started.
Pros
Had great teacher aides who were trained well
Cons
Dishonest superiors who didn't even know you.
position placement was very strong in communication.
Match Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 27, 2018
Postion with SPPS was very rewarding and productive.
Throughout interning with SPPS I was abel to work with mentors and mentee. I participated with arrange meetings with students and staff.
Very fast pace work place
Greeter/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNAugust 14, 2018
Very slow morning, then a rush around 8am or 9am
Adult interaction with students are very important
Very nice staff members ranging from college students to older adults
Pros
Lots of socialization
Cons
A lot of students
Learning Experience
Special Education Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 20, 2018
Good days and bad days like any other job. I acted unprofessional at times because it was my first professional position, and I could've done a better job at being a professional. I learned how to be a better person and family man because of some of the situations that came upon me. The hardest part was being let go because I did not make it past my six month internship. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a wide variety of children from different backgrounds and ethnicity. I most enjoyed the storied the kids told, and the characters they were. The most enjoyable part was the acceptance I got from everyone at the school. I ride in a wheelchair but they saw me for the person I was and not for the obvious reason.
Pros
After school program
Cons
did not work a full calendar school year
Certainly hectic, but makes up with the team of people.
Behavior Success Coach (Current Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 15, 2018
I love working for SPPS, I am actually looking for something different so that I can have a variety of things under my belt for my social work degree and not just education.
Pros
summers, weekends, holidays off
Cons
there is such a high turn around in students.
A stressful work place
Educational Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJuly 14, 2018
It is a stressful working environment, dealing with students, administrators, and parents. It must be well prepared and patient to deal with student behaviors from different backgrounds.
Pros
shorter work time, make friends, and a place to learn about different cultures
Cons
low pay job, not good benefit, and constantly dealing with student disciplines
Great place to start
Behavior Intervention Specialist (EA) (Former Employee) –  St. Paul, MNJuly 11, 2018
If you are new to Education, St. Paul Public Schools (SPPS) is a great start. It is important to be personable with students and transparent with all that you learn on a day to day basis. The culture in each school is different yet everyone is on the same level. Most enjoyable part of my role was building relationships with the kids and their families. It felt like a second home.
Pros
Staff culture was AWESOME
Cons
Not many.
stressful
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 27, 2018
it was stressful on most days going in to work. Kids behavior was tough. Did not get the support I needed. The hours were nice and worked well for my situation.
Pros
summers off
Very professional environment, mission driven
Public Relations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 22, 2018
The pace was fast but I worked with a great team and we did lots of award-winning work. The salaries were competitive there, unlike at the State of Minnesota. I was able to work flexible hours to help with work-life balance when I had three young kids.
Pros
Fair compensation, flexible hours
Cons
Target for criticism by media and elected officials
Supportive environment and diverse in culture
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 22, 2018
Rich in professional development. A fun and supportive culture to work in. Hardest part of the job is trying to get parent involvement and student achievement. Most enjoyable part is creating lasting relationship and fostering students/kids social and academic self.
Pros
learning something new everyday
Cons
Not enough time
Communication lacking
Paraprofessional/Teacher's Aide (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 20, 2018
Repeat offenders did not get punished for their crimes and were sent back to continue disrupting classrooms over and over. And over. Expectations were not communicated to staff. Teachers could do or say whatever they wanted to, but aides were held to a much higher standard. Aides were often blamed for the teachers' inabilities to control overcrowded classrooms.
Pros
Workday was over early
Cons
Communication and respect were lacking from administrators
HeadSpecialist
Head Specialist (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 11, 2018
Assisted in developing student-led after-school tutoring program to teach under- privileged students. Organized recruitment meetings and programs with overflow registration. Documented student attendance and progress against goals. Corresponded with clients through email, telephone or postal mail.
The work place
Teacher Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 8, 2018
They nice work place and very friendly workers. It felt more like family than co workers. I wish I could go back and work for St. Paul School System. Also Saint Paul Public schools is one of Minnesota's largest school districts with more than 37,000 students. Highly trained and deeply dedicated staff, cutting-edge academic programs, and strong community support are among the district’s hallmarks.
xiong
Interpreter/Translator (Current Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 7, 2018
on calls, quarterly only, not good pay job. poor manage on payroll. It took many months to process and staff could not find the application. No return calls when have question to ask.
Pros
flexible
Cons
wasting times
Great Place to Work!
AVID Tutor (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJune 4, 2018
A caring school district with plenty of room for job advancement, great teachers are easy to come by, and the workplace culture is team-oriented, progressive, and inspired.