Saje Natural Wellness

Saje Natural Wellness Employee Reviews

United States17 reviews
I worked there 3 consecutive summers from 2016-2018 and I loved my Saje fam while I was working there and learned so much! The culture is great, I felt very comfortable and welcomed when I first joined the team. The company culture is really integrated into the workday and there was so much support between the various teams. My managers and supervisors were caring and friendly, they were not just my superiors but my friends and I felt encouraged and supported by them.

My favourite things to do in the production area were packaging products into the boxes or ones that require sticker labelling. However, my favourite role was definitely in ecommerce. I especially loved working in the ecommerce area helping pick and pack for online orders because I got to see new orders every day! I also loved helping restock the shelves and receive stock for the shelves to organize and see everything all neat and ready to go for the next day.

Although management did change the second and third times I returned, I still enjoyed working there. There was quite a lot more change in management during my third summer and it felt a little disorganized; the culture wasn't as good then but the teammembers and work were still enjoyable. I still keep in touch with many of my previous colleagues and my love for my Saje fam continues!
This is a nice place for a temporary part-time job. They pay above minimum wage and have some employee perks like discounts and free products. However, for a part-time retail job, they really expect you to have full-time availability and full-time enthusiasm. There are nice people that work at the company, but corporate and upper management expect you to be sold out for Saje and super enthusiastic for everything about the company. They think they prioritize employee care and wellness, but as soon as things get stressful, culture is the first thing to go out the window and it's all about the dollars. The products are good but it comes down to culture, it's feels fake and the high turnover means culture changes a lot and the inconsistencies show gaps in the company priorities.
Pros
Product discounts
Cons
High turnover, management expectations
I have never experienced a company with more compassion for their employees than Saje. they are incredibly focused on the health and wellness of their employees and customers alike.
The Pasadena store has great employees. They are very inviting and help build you up. Even with projects outside of the workplace they are supportive.
Once they determined I was not going to live by their personality test results they require for employment (enneagram), they started to promote me with no training, until I resigned. Once I reached all of my sales goals with my team, they harassed me about getting them aligned with CULTure, which was the personality test and seven spiritual laws. The SADDEST PART, I expressed to them that I suffered from severe anxiety and felt the need to be trained
Job seekers rely on your experience.
After not being properly trained, personal relationships were put in front of management. You are expected to be extremely touchy with employees which leaves no room to work. And if you don’t adhere you are just randomly terminated. It’s fit around a clique culture that if someone doesn’t like you they just fire you.
No complaints at all with SAJE. They are a wonderful company that cares about their employees. I was team lead at the SoHo location and it was indeed lovely.
Worst management I've ever had the displeasure of working with. They are all about enneagram. They dont care about training you. Theyre all about wellness but dont teach you about your job. Then demand an explanation.
When I began working for Saje it was a dream job! Great culture, awesome employee discounts, room for self-growth, amazing products, great vision, etc. I loved working at Saje. It remained that way for quite some time until there was a large shift in authenticity and expectations. I always did say that Saje was not for anyone looking to work part-time. It is most defiantly a FULL-time commitment.

A typical day at Saje can be quite exhausting... lots of talking (great for upbeat, people persons), If you are sensitive to smell I do NOT recommend this job (I have experienced dizziness, headaches, and nausea from this work). I found that there is a lot expected from you in this job. Of course an interest in wellness, a healthy lifestyle, a positive mindset, etc. which can feel pressurizing at times. I have also noticed ALOT of favoritism within the Saje community.

After about a year working for Saje, it was apparent that things were drastically changing within the company. Team members were expected to be pushy and un-authentic toward customers. After working for the company for a year and a half (and having a close bond with my store manager) I was fired at random one day without any reason. It was honestly extremely disappointing and really went against what Saje stands for as a company. And for this, I must address the poor management.

Overall Saje WAS an amazing place to work and I cherish the time I had spent there before things changed. Now I do not think I would recommend this job to anyone... and it truly saddens me to say that.
Firstly, I was wrongfully "terminated". After announcing that I was putting in my two weeks for my manager consistantly scheduling me outside my availability, she refused to accept my letter of resignation, and marked me as terminated within the system to corporate. No surprise she was later fired. This company plays favorites according to your personality with in the enneagram test. They even hire based on how you score on this test. Even when taking on extra responsibilities as their "lead merchandiser" I was refused a raise after being with the company for over a year. I
Pros
Discount, amazing product, usually great team building atmosphere
Cons
High expectations of customers, some practically expect you, to heal their cancer, founding family, they are sneaky, and practically fires someone for not trying to test product on her when he knew who she was, constantly utilizing secret shoppers, and changing necessary sales tactics, to pass them, people have lost jobs over secret shoppers
I really enjoyed helping customers learn about the natural products. I felt comfortable recommending the products that really helped me feel balanced, relaxed and healthy.
Pros
Is a culture about natural wellness and well being
Cons
Seasonal
The products are absolutely phenomenal, and as long as you truly believe in them, it is very easy to sell. I was able to learn all about essential oils and their benefits which have actually helped me in my regular day-to-day life. The culture that the company encourages/enforces isn't bad, as long as you can get behind them. They do shift check-ins and just see where everyone is at in terms of health/happiness/etc. The people I worked with, for the most part, were excellent. You could tell that, again, for the most part, everyone cared about what they were doing. HOWEVER, the management was extremely poor. They never let anyone know what was going on, in terms of day-to-day things (ex: Moved the whole store around and said nothing). Scheduling could be a mess sometimes as well. On the busiest days, there would be one person set to close and on our slowest days, there would be like 3 people on. Also, I personally was started at lesser pay than what is their normal starting pay. Their normal is $14/hour (even their seasonal) and I was started at $13 for some reason (they never explained why). But, for retail, $13 is still pretty good so I never complained. And as someone else mentioned, the owners do spy on you and don't take into account the whole picture, just what they see. My advice to Saje: Get better people to run your stores as managers. Saje has a LOT of different products with many essential oils in them, and they never really did a proper training on them. It was expected for you to learn them on their own. And for managers of stores: clue your team members into what - more...
Pros
50% Discount on products, Shift Check-ins, The pay is very good for retail
Cons
Management!, Scheduling was a mess sometimes, "first come first serve" basis on advancement
Saje had its day for me but became allergic to the oils.
Plus no career advancement for me. Helping people feel better was a great opportunity and I love to help.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
- Work/life balance is odd, wants Saje to be the basis of existence and sole reasonfor being a healthy individual.

- Uses “cultural” tools (Seven Spiritual Laws/Ennegram) as discriminatory tools for hiring/promoting within company.

- Upper management = BAISED ; definitely some ethical issues within this company and especially when thinking in terms of driving business.

- Fake facade of “wellness” and “not your average retail company” THEY ARE DEFINITELY AN AVERAGE RETAIL COMPANY. Goals, KPIs, Yada-yada definitely high presence but portays an image of not focusing on sales or seeing community members as just a sale/$$.

- Founding family ridiculously distracted and intense; will spy on you within your retail store to see if you’re actually working + not understanding there’s so many selling points being missed to drive business.

- Not big on sustainability. Wastes ridiculous amounts of paper/cardboard/plastic etc in MASS AMOUNTS. Over production of products with low sell through rates. Seriously need to check the business model. Will not last in the USA with this sad ideal of a business model. NOT SUSTAINABLE. STOP WASTING PRODUCT/TIME/PACKAGAIN/MONEY.
Pros
Met amazing beautiful souls as coworkers, teaching community about wellness.
Cons
Everything else, especially the CULT feeling and saying “not average retail” but definitely average retail.
I am the store Manager at a Saje in America. It is different than other management positions I have had in that the company is new to the US so you are consistently introducing the brand to new community members. This is both fun and challenging! I feel very empowered to grow the business in my location and share the amazing products with new community members. There is tons of potential and I love being part of a business that is growing. My location is a little calmer than others so I have lots of time to focus on team development, brand awareness, and culture. Compared to other management positions I have had the operational side is pretty negligible (as in there is not much to do). You should expect to be on the floor leading your team by example. We have weekly calls and one admin day a week. During holiday time I just squeeze in admin time when ever I can so I can be on the floor.

My district manager is great and does not micro manage which I really appreciate. She visits our store regularly and helps out on the sales floor.

Culture is a huge part of Saje. You should be an open minded individual and expect some introspection as part of your job.

The hardest part of my job is spreading brand awareness. The company works hard to so and it gets better everyday. We do in store events which are great catalysts for that and lots of fun.

My favorite part of Saje besides the products being 100% natural, and the impact of the wellness OF THE WORLD, is helping the people on my team and elevating their wellness and lives.

If you are wellness minded, like to work
 - more...
Pros
Wellness focus, good pay, great culture
Cons
No 401k, No mat leave
The environment within saje was 'much different and exciting than any other retail store , they made it a priority to make sure we was our best mentally and emotionally .
Pros
mental check ins
Cons
short breaks
It was a great pleasure working with such energetic and out-going people that constantly rubbed off good vibes on each other. There was never a dull day at work. The best thing is that everyone also shared a mutual belief - connecting the people with the healing power of plants.
Pros
Great Colleagues