Salamander Resort & SPA Employee Reviews

Fun people
Gynecologist (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAOctober 15, 2018
Great group of people to work with however, poorly managed company. On days where they should have staff they do not. They cannot keep people either, however the good ones leave pretty quickly. The company has been open for five years, but I do not see it getting any better unless they address the situation. It has been like that since day one.
Pros
great way to network
Cons
no free lunches, poor hours, no respect for employees if they work long hours
room to advance
pool cook/Garmajai line cook (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAApril 13, 2018
Salamander valued there employee having meeting, give workers revues and rewarding hard work and team efforts. It is a very fast pace envirment. to work here you must be keen on hospitality.
Fast-paced, competitive, etc.
Female Spa Concierge (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, VAMarch 15, 2018
A typical day at work has a high pace with self entitled coworkers and guests. There isn't a team working environment. If you do anything wrong you get written up. If you get to 8 write ups you get fired. The idle worker must have perfect effectiveness and have the ability to go so far above and beyond in order to be approved to move forward that the advancement is very hard. Management tends to pass issues off to other management and the issues rarely get resolved. The coworkers are obsessed with drama and rarely work well together. The hardest part of the job is being able to make the customers happy as well as the business. There aren't many enjoyments to this job.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Short breaks, must be perfect, low salary, low benefits
September 5, 2018

I am sorry about your experience at Salamander Resort & Spa. Our policy on "write ups" is not as you have indicated. We follow progressive discipline but don't follow any specific order - each situation must be evaluated individually.

There are less than 100 Five Star & 5 Diamond hotels (our goal) in the US, so we are striving for perfect effectiveness. It is a challenge, but there is a big reward.

It is unfortunate your experience with "management" was not good. The entire management team at SRS is very good, and employees find our resort a great place to work, and truly enjoying working with each other. We hold holiday parties, recognition luncheons, "ugly sweater" competitions to name a few which our employees enjoy. Many of our employees have been here since opening and enjoy the push for excellence every day.

Wonderful place to grow your skills in upscale setting
MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, VAJanuary 6, 2018
Training in body wraps, essential oils and other products of excellent quality. Great place to learn and grow. Collaborative culture. Training to meet Forbes standards
guest were very well taken care of.
cook 2 (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VANovember 27, 2017
Working behind the scene at this resort was hectic. at one point management was great,very cooperative with employees. that went a litlle down hill. As a employee you get the opportunity to work with a wide range of fruits vegatables, meats, cheeses, breads ect. as well as learning new methods of prep. and cooking. At salamander hospitality is key to happy guest.
Pros
Room to expand
Cons
better management
Thankless position
Guest Services / Front Desk/ Customer relations (Current Employee) –  Palm Harbor, FLNovember 6, 2017
Too much management and awful hours. The pay is terrible for the amount of work that you are responsible for and you never hear anything good from management.
Great company and people to work with
Sales Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, VAAugust 12, 2017
Only a 3 year company so they are still working out the kinks. The atmosphere and people who work there are easy to be around. The salary is low and you have to work there a full year before any benefits kick in. After one year you receive one week of vacation.
Pros
$3 lunches in the cafeteria
Cons
Not very good benefits
September 5, 2018

Thank you for the compliments. We have changed our vacation/paid time off policy. We now offer 5 days personal leave after 90 days of FT employment, and then, 5 vacation days after 1 year of employment in addition to another 5 days paid time off (10 days total). After two years our service professionals earn 10 day vacation, and 5 day personal leave (total 15 days paid time off).

Fast pace work environment and great benefits
Server/ Honor Bar Attendant (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAJuly 14, 2017
Salamander Resort and Spa is a great place to work if you enjoy a fast pace work environment and communicate well with others. There is always work to be done, plenty of side work, and they are very flexible with scheduling and have great benefits.
Pros
Great buffet style lunch for a reasonable price.
Cons
Little to no breaktime, poor communication system and guidelines are not enforced..
Fun and great place to work
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, VAMay 1, 2017
Very nice, clean, fancy, staff are amazing. Could really make a career of you like hospitality. Very nice resort with so much for the guest to do. Would recommend a stay here anytime.
Luxury Resort still seeking it's identity
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAFebruary 21, 2017
Learned all Forbes/AAA standards of excellence and what guests were expecting when staying at a luxury resort. Company is only 3 years young and is still working out the growing pains.
Better than most but could be better
Banquet Server (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, VADecember 29, 2016
I believe that the general manager and the other corporate individuals care about the success and well being of their workers. The work is hard and requires you to stand for hours at a time. Affordable or free food is provided to workers, but there is a lack of variety for people with special diets. My coworkers are my family and they are the reason I enjoy my job.
Pros
Leftover food
Cons
Short Breaks
Fast pace work environment
Laundry Attendant/Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  VirginiaJuly 30, 2016
Working to achieve individual and team oriented production goals daily.
How to work in an environment where everyone has to work as a team to complete a single goal.
Management and employees work side by side everyday.
Not there yet
Conference Service Manager (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAJune 27, 2016
I would not recommend working at salamander. I would not recommend going to there at this time either.
Poor management. Chronic staffing issues.
Cook II (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAJune 3, 2016
From my first day until my last day it never felt like anyone knew what they were doing. Problems were ignored. Management disconnected from reality.
September 5, 2018

I am sorry about your experience with Salamander Resort & Spa. Since you left, we have hired a new Director of Food and Beverage and a new Executive Chef, and new managers in the kitchen. There is a very clear direction now and, based on our recent engagement survey, employees enjoy working at SRS. We are a new resort, and have grown a lot in the last 3 years.

good overall
Cook (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAMarch 22, 2016
recognized hard word when one gave it. Promoted from within, and flexible on hours. some good management , overall a good company .
Pros
free food
Cons
poor management
Job Duties
Guest Relations Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, VADecember 8, 2015
Oversee the day-to-day operations of the concierge desk.
Compile weekly VIP Report and ensure necessary requirements are met.
Assist with managing the daily schedule and payroll.
Serve as Guest Resolution intermediary.
Poor management
Attendant (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VASeptember 14, 2015
Poor management, very few hours.
They tell you they will pay you $13 / hour but will only give you 3 days. Housekeeping director puts employees down.
Housekeeping department has had plenty of people walk out on them.
Pros
Met wonderful people
Cons
Poor management
September 5, 2018

Since you wrote these comments we have new management (promoted internal candidates) in Housekeeping and employees are very pleased with their employment at SRS.

a worlk exxperience that was intense but the people were awesome
Line cook 1 (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAAugust 22, 2015
the food was anmazing we had a 120 foot garden we used for harrimans it as amazing the level and quality of food we put was amazing as well but management was poor
Elegant New Resort
Conference Service Manager, Task Force (Former Employee) –  Middleburg, VAJuly 8, 2014
Fabulous Staff and great work environment. Everyone has the same goal to serve the guest and each other with respect and care.
Pros
Fantastic place to work
Elegant and Sophisticated workplace
Front Desk Agent/ PBX Operator (Current Employee) –  Middleburg, VAOctober 17, 2013
My position is very fast paced and very rewarding. I have contact with all the guests that walk through our resort and assist with grand tours and i get to meet great people. My co-workers have the same goal as I do which is "In pursuit of an authentic experience, we will trust each other to provide gracious and exceptional service by creating unique memories for our guests".
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salamander Resort & SPA. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about