Salem Health

Salem Health Employee Reviews

Extremely Poor Management
First of all, let me just say that Salem Health does not have a union to protect it's employees. They will do just about anything to keep the union out of their organization so that they can continue to run their organization exactly the way they want and treat their employees however they want. Stay away from this place. They will work like a dog and not give a second thought about it.
Good employee culture, terrible HR
The HR is very disappointing here and not much for helping you. Aside from that, most of the employees and doctors and very friendly. A lot of employees have worked there for decades and are friendly and helpful
Pros
Great insurance
Cons
Bad management.
Great Place to Work
Wonderful place to Work for. It takes a while to get through the hiring process but it is worth it. Just keep bugging the HR people on how it is going and you will get through the process.
Cool PLace to work
Great Place to work. Good advancement, little light on pay in some areas. Great leadership training. Rewarded with advancement for dedicated work.. That's enough
Cons
Fmla
Great Staff
Great professional team to work with. Worked as a student clinician, unpaid. Had direct supervision, fantastic supervisor who was supportive and knowledgeable.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Loved the ICU
I loved working with the staff and patients at Salem Health. The work environment is collaborative, exceptional for learning and worked as a team to provide the best patient care
I spent 25 years on the 3north, and 1 year working in emergengcy room,
I have enjoyed working at salem health was in amazing experience, the satisfaction of caring for patients making sure i could meet there needs to the best of my ability, and working with a lot of wonderful nurses
Constant change in the IS department
Hospital has good core values and work on a Kaizen Lean platform. IS has a lot of restructuring and constant change. Tend to run short on capacity which creates a poor work life balance. Lots of potential at this organization.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Salem Health?
Internship at Salem Health
I only worked at the Community Health Education Center for a summer as an intern, so I cannot speak to benefits/pay/long term scenarios. A family member I know has worked there for over 25 years and has told me the benefits are really great if you stay past 5/10/15/20 years (they're tiered)

The culture seems unsurprisingly bureaucratic at times. Cross departmental inquiries can be received well or pawned off to another department who claims the first department is the one you really need. Tough to get your foot in the door; like many organizations, if you can't beat the ATS, you're not getting through to the Hiring Manager.
Great managers and experience
I was only a volunteer but I loved my managers and learned a lot about the medical field and basic job skills like communicating with people in a work environment, filing, organization skills, and working under pressure.
High Quality Employer
While no workplace is perfect, Salem Health is one of the best. While patient care is the main focus of clinical positions, leaders take time to get to know the people they supervise. There is very good access to bonuses, scholarships, and other benefits. Pay is competitive with Portland-area organizations of similar size. Worked in several departments; there are very few that are not well-run.
Pros
Magnet Hospital
Cons
Advancement may be difficult for employees not in the "in" group
Excellent work environment
I have worked at this hospital for many years now. The employees and management strive to provide excellent customer service skills, as well as creates a culture with employees allowing them to feel very appreciated.
Pros
Free holiday and birthday meals
Cons
Busy work place
Fast pace environment
Very active workplace, since this is the largest employer in the city, there is a lot going on at all times. The mission is to improve the health of the community.
Patient Access Services
The management I had was good and attentive, but there were so many underlying issues going on that never got dealt with which ultimately led me to quitting. There are moms and grandmas bickering non stop about drama at all times. It's a very negative space to work in and I've heard it had gone on before me and is still going on after I left. I was excited to work for Salem Health in the beginning, but now I wouldn't recommend it. You also don't get paid nearly what you should. When I accepted the job offer I took a $3 pay cut from my prior position.
Exceptional work environment, leadership, and staff
Highly professional and structured environment that emphasizes care for the patient and support for the staff. Leadership is engaged with the staff and will develop your leadership skills. Work pace can be very demanding, but if you give it your best you will have the support of your coworkers and leadership. Excellent benefits. Exceptional Lab staff.
managment
its a great place to work. great benefits and the staff and managment have been delightful. the pay is well established with experience and the staffing is appropritate.
fun work place
Job culture is decent, depending on the shift and unit worked on and that also proves true for management. Hardest part of the job is being pulled to different units. Most enjoyable part of the job is the friendly and encouraging moments with patients...the little heart to heart moments.
Fabulous team of people in the ER
The work culture and people here are really amazing. My team's management is honestly the best management I've ever had. I feel supported yet challenged every day. The team have high expectations, which makes sense given the minimal room for error in an emergency setting, but my coworkers have always supported me, taught me, and answered questions. I never feel like I'm working alone when I'm in the ER. Once you're part of the team, you're family. The hardest part of the job is interfacing with people who are upset or angry, which happens often in a stressful setting like the ER. I feel like that will happen in most ERs though. It's also difficult to get coverage for shifts, in part because we're understaffed because the position isn't very competitive salary wise. Still, there's flexibility from the management about scheduling.
Pros
Fabulous benefits, great people, team environment, supportive management, doing important work, benefits with part time position, lots of holiday stuff/treats/events
Cons
Food on campus is expensive & mediocre, salary is not very competitive, some organizational politics come into play, there can be a high learning curve when just starting out
Great enviorment
I looked forward to going each week, the staff was very welcoming and helpful. I learned new skill that helped me move on to another career that used.
Was a great place to work....
It was amazing in the beginning. I was happy and excited to come to work. I felt appreciated and valued. I felt like I was part of a team. Salem hospital is an incredibly clean place
Pros
Steady paycheck
Cons
Biological hazards exposure, less than pleasant nursing staff
Its Healthcare
Working at Salem health has been an amazing experience and I am so thankful for the time of being there. The management team I have does not care about you and they do not want you to succeed which is sad and frustrating.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salem Health. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
3.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight