Salem Media Group

Salem Media Group Employee Reviews

Not a great place to work for
Rarely provided opportunities for growth and advancement

Did not provide opportunities for salary growth

Established an environment of micro-management
May 11, 2018
Thank you for your review. A common misconception about Salem is that there are “rarely opportunities to grow and advance your career”. To address this issue and show that we have promotions all the time here at Salem, we created the Promotion Spotlight series which features interviews of recently promoted employees from all over the country and can be seen on the Salem Media Group Spotlight YouTube channel. As far as salary here at Salem, we strive to provide compensation that meets or exceeds market value and reward our employees based on their performance. We want you to feel comfortable and productive in your working environment and if you have ideas on how to improve your working conditions please feel free to contact our corporate HR department at (805) 233 – 3129.
Good company with Great people
professional, extremely kind, fun and caring staff, low stress, flexibility, established brands and stations, quality services for clients, very positive and encouraging work environment, talented staff and quality clients, room to train, learn and expand skills and talents, dynamic company, fair work space and assets.
It will take time...if you have it
Tough starting salary. Can take a while to ramp up. If you don't 'believe' in the stations, it will be a tough fit. Digital products are nice - but already behind a lot of other media companies.
Day in the life
Come in get your log in sheets

Work on a very outdated software and not reach others

Stay late

Never get paid enough

Management is Uneasy and Constantly changing
Unorganized, low pay/bad benefits, absolute nightmare
I've never been in a company that is so disorganized, has no idea what they're doing and has a more pessimistic culture than Salem. I am in my late 20s and everyone else that worked there was at least 50+, no joke! It was hard to fit in, everyone thought and conducted business as you would expect someone in that age group to do.

From the beginning, when their initial offer to me was lower than I wanted, they acted insulted when I tried to negotiate salary (that should have been my first clue!). Their benefits are EXPENSIVE and they have ridiculous rules and stipulations you have to meet to keep the prices the same for your benefits. I was required to purchase (with my own money) a fitbit so I could report to them how many steps per day I take (this is a desk job, no walking or physical activity required) and if I didn't get enough steps every day, my benefits would go up. That felt so intrusive and I've never been asked to do that at any other job I've had (though it may be common and I don't realize it).

I didn't know one person there that was happy with their salary, enjoyed coming to work, or wasn't in some way looking for a way to get out. Do yourself a favor and stay away!
Pros
No weekends, leaving every day
Cons
pay, benefits, culture, leadership
great place to work
great mission and great place to work
company is evolving as technology changes and affects everything

decent people with integrity and moral values

happy to be of service
Toxic Management = High Sales Turnover
For the sales division, there is a toxic one dimensional management style resulting in a very high turnover which can not be denied. In a period of 24 months, 8 sales people left in a team that is normally at 4 and that turnover is nothing new. The other factor that affects turnover is income. While you may get a small book of business to provide some additional commission because of a very low base salary, your accounts will turnover almost as fast as you close new ones. A typical week will include a majority of time on the phone next to salespeople who are doing the same thing, bring your contacts because that will be your "data base" and you will be competing for the same businesses the other sales people and the management will be calling on as well.
Pros
The content of the stations is great
Cons
In sales you will see low income, high turnover and toxic style of management.
Great place to work. Awesome people to work with. Everyone helps each other (no backstabbing). Bosses want employees to succeed. Fun birthday parties and awards luncheons.
Career Starter
Good place to get your foot in the door.

Typical day included meeting with a team then your supervisor and then to your duties.

Learned many marketable skills.

Management only concerned with quotas and deadlines. No employee performance review. No merit increases.

Micro Management. Low compensation.
Terrible Leadership
The management at Salem Media Group is lackluster at best. Creative ideas are discouraged and you are punished for speaking your mind, even in a respectful manner. The only way to get ahead is to kiss up and sell your soul and I have too much self-respect to do that. The hardest part of the job is realizing that you are a rat on a wheel, every day, 5 days a week. The most enjoyable part of the job was walking to my car when my shift was over. Unless you are looking for a dead end, do not steer toward Salem Media Group.
Pros
free coffee
Cons
dead end job
It's just another corporation..
Everything about the way the company is managed is in direct opposition to the close knit, christian family narrative that is pushed. Disorganization and favoritism play out in the local employee dynamic, and (more intolerably so) between cities. Mixed with poor staffing and retention, below average compensation, and bipolar management that is willing to cut corners, this leads to a stressful, inefficient work place.
Pros
Networking in the industry, cake on birthdays other than yours.
Cons
Everything else.
Not The Best Working Environment
There are some managers around the building that don't know how to manage people and let them get away with everything but they get upset when programs are screwed up on the air. All this creates a hostile work environment. A couple of years ago an employee who's related to another employee belittled another employee while the manager was in the same room and the manager did nothing. Never got on him about their behavior because they're buddies. Management is scared to get on this person for their bad behavior in fear of retaliation and it's really sad and this creates a hostile work environment.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Poor Management, Hostile Work Environment
good company
I am thankful for the opportunity, Salem is a great place to work.They help you progress in the job.Good co-workers.Management visit the facility often, evaluations once a year.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
The People are Great
I wish I had something positive to say about management at this company, but there is nothing positive to say.
They present themselves as a Christian conservative company, yet I was under attack to my beliefs as a Conservative Christian by a favored coworker who did not share those beliefs. She was on the attack when such values came up in conversation.

Management was mean and belittling, I have never seen anyone act like that in my career.
July 9, 2018
Thank you for your review. We want to start by saying that Salem is a publicly traded, for-profit company and does not discriminate based on religious views and does not tolerate that type of discrimination in the workplace. We urge anyone facing these types of issues to speak to their immediate supervisor or to reach out to our corporate HR department at (805) 233 – 3129 so that we can work out a resolution. Please feel free to reach out to us so that we can avoid issues like these moving forward.
Excellent place to work. I really enjoy going to work everyday. Im proud of the work I do. Im held to very high standards in terms of studio production. and media production
July 9, 2018
Thank you for reviewing Salem Media Group. We are happy to hear that you enjoy what you do and where you do it! Keep up the great work.
great place to work
very easy work and was trained well.Good environment to start your career in radio. A lot of radio formats and platforms to learn multi-faceted skills
Pros
experience
Cons
pretentious on-air personalities
April 12, 2018
Thank you for reviewing Salem. Salem prides itself on being a great environment for veterans of the radio and new media industries as well as a welcoming one for those new to the business, and we are happy to hear that you had a positive start to your career with us.
Working at Salem Media Group
Very open to attending workshops and seminars to help increase your overall sales growth, hardest part with any sells job is creating relationships especially in a new market.
Pros
Family atmosphere
Cons
N/a
April 12, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to review Salem Media Group. Here at Salem we want our employees to gain knowledge and grow within our company, but we do understand that building a book of business in sales can be challenging. While creating relationships and learning the local market does take time and effort, our Account Managers have found that the more active they are in this process, the easier it is and the more successful they become in their position.
Peaceful
Salem Media Group offered to every employees a real friendly environment. Salem was a Company where I could enrich my business knowledge, great teamwork that we all enjoyed daily.
Great 3 years to me!
April 12, 2018
Thank you for your review and for your 3 years of service! We love to hear when our employees feel valued and are able to grow within the Salem family. Good luck in your future ventures!
Slow-paced in some ways, but somewhat disorganized and therefore, stressful.
The work environment and culture is relaxed in some ways because there is quite a bit of self-paced independence. However, the management is somewhat disorganized, and this causes stress. Also, employees there tend to work long hours because of being understaffed.
Pros
Company incentives, some independence
Cons
Lack of organization
April 12, 2018
Thank you for your review. Here at Salem we don’t want our employees to feel like they are working under a microscope, but instead we provide an environment of independence and trust that deadlines will be met. Our local managers are always available for questions and concerns and we encourage our employees to contact the corporate HR department at (805) 233 – 3129 with any issues or suggestions on how Salem can improve as a company.
Fun, collaborative workplace
Great workplace culture with coworkers sharing the same vision for a niche-audience talk radio station. Fun, relaxed environment with a typical 8 hour work day.
April 12, 2018
Thank you for taking the time to review Salem. We are happy to hear that you had such a positive experience here at Salem and wish you luck in the future!
Great Place to Work!
Salem is the best place I have worked. There are many opportunities to advance your career. The office atmosphere is great - all of the employees are very close and willing to lend a hand when needed. Low stress environment, great family oriented culture, overall fun atmosphere, work is very challenging but yet rewarding and management shows appreciation for its hard workers. Great vision, team-oriented, strong values. Management truly cares about their employees.
Cons
None to note.. best place I've worked
November 8, 2017
Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear about your positive experience and hope that you continue to advance your career and relationships with Salem. Keep up the good work!