Sally Beauty

Found 4,280 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,784 reviews

Sally Beauty insights

Based on 1,700 survey responses
What people like
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

I loved the people I worked with

Featured review

Sally Beauty selected this as a representative review
The people I worked with were great and energetic. The management team were not on the same page some what of the time. They were a family type atmosphere but it seemed to change like the wind at times.

No complaints about the work, but terrible customers.

Working here is so easy, but they don’t offer any training. Anything you want to tell a customer about on a product, you have to research on your own time. Customers are way too needy and get upset quickly if you don’t give them your attention immediately. I’ve worked food industry before this retail job, and I honestly prefer food over this job. At least the customers don’t bombard you with a million questions and then ask for a manager if you tell them “no.”Management is spotty and plays favorites sometimes causing work drama, but that aside, the work is easy. Also they are really flexible with hours which is awesome.

Pros

easy work, straight forward, flexible with hours.

Cons

stupid customers, iffy management, and work drama

Hard work pays off

If you’re a hard worker there’s always room for advancement. The pay could be better and as a Store Manager it does take over your life a bit. I think things are a little tough right now due to COVID but I am holding onto faith that things like pay & product availability will improve soon.

Pros

Free products monthly, killer employee discount, Pto, benefits.

Cons

Low staffing nationwide, low product availability, low pay rates

Don’t waste your time.

My immediate boss (district manager) was great. She was attentive, worked along side us when she was in the store, she wasn’t the type to sit in the back like most would. Upper management though? Left a lot to be desired. They didn’t respect their store employees at all. They didn’t seem to realize (or did and they didn’t care) that their store employees are the reason they make money. The pay for staff was laughable enough, but was even worse for store managers, especially for the amount of hours they wanted you to work. Most customers were great, there were a few nasty ones, but that comes with any retail job.

Cons

Upper management belittles store employees

Constantly changing.

Upper Management will change their mind and have you redo what you have already done. Constantly redirected in what seems like circles. No response from HR if you have an issue with upper management.

Pros

Free product if in stock

Cons

Slave labor, unorganized, no support

Job seekers rely on your experience.

Fun place to work

I had a good time while I worked there didn’t have problems. Only left to go back to school and seek better opportunities. Lots of room for growth with sallys

Worst place ever

Horrible management treats it like its a high school party and their all best friends and leave you to do all the work while they sit in the back room and you take all the customers even when your new.

horrible work environment

One of the worst jobs I have ever had. Management is extremely rude and constantly lie ro their employees about how many house they will be working each week, which is around 60. Mandatory overtime every day/week but you're not allowed to use sick days when there's mandatory overtime. management lies about how productivity works. hard work is not rewarded or even acknowledged. inconsistent training. other workers have no concept of teamwork and are super rude and will try to throw you under the bus or will yell at you for no reason, particularly if you are new. management uses negative reinforcement, instead of taking the time to teach you. they also come by and accuse you of doing things wrong when you're not. swing shift is favored over day shift, they make more money but and are not forced to work as much overtime and and are spoiled daily with donuts and pizza and other stuff while half their shift doesn't even show up. then day shift has to work twice as hard to meet their goals and pick up swing shift's slack. super obvious when looking at productivity and attendance charts and talking to swing shift workers. payroll messed up my paychecks every single pay period during the 5 months I worked there until I couldn't take it anymore and found a new job.go somewhere else.

Pros

benefits are decent. pay is ok.

Cons

verbally abusive managent, toxic work environment, negative reinforcement, excessive mandatory overtime hours.

Fun place to work

it was a fun place to work and coworkers were great and helpful. definitely helpful to have knowledge of all hair types prior to working there. great starting job for a young adult or someone needing a job through college to get by.

Pros

free samples, fun work environment

Cons

didn’t pay livable wage

This is an incredible family to work for. Not a full income though.

This is an incredible family to work for. There is no fear of losing your job for irrational reasons. Great communication and respect. It's just not enough money to live on solely so it often requires a second job.

Pros

Tons of teaching and experience from this job! Very flexible hours. Cultivates good relationships.

Cons

Often requires a second income for full support.

Don’t work here

I haven’t worked for such a horrible and toxic management team in my whole life. They do not prioritize your safety against covid, they do not prioritize a work-life balance. They expect you to be on-call 24/7 to the point where you can hardly have a social life and get angry with you for being friends with your coworkers. They openly talk about employees behind their backs and threaten to fire them for really minuscule reasons. Don’t work there. It’s not worth it

Pros

Employee discount

Cons

Short breaks, not a lot of benefits, toxic management

It’s cool for the first few months…

The job was amazing for the first 6 months and then it started to become a drag. Having to fight for hours, coworkers talking behind your back, your coworkers taking credit for your work. I’m going to be leaving soon God willing, not gonna put up with it anymore.

Pros

Decent pay, 30% employee discount

Cons

Inconsistent hours, lazy coworkers, staff aren’t team players

Just NO! Sally's not it!

Pure drama from customers to coworkers , UNORGANIZED . Customers would shoplift daily, not a safe place to work at but also (depending the area), no security, some Sally's doesn't even have working cameras for your protection. Careful with managers they like to call you their "Assistant manager" with no actual paperwork of your new "position", no differential pay as promised. Managers have you bust your **s and for a low pay smh!

Pros

employee discount

Greedy Company.

This company underpays us, things weren't as bad until we got a new manager who shows obvious favoritism. Our hours have been cut, if someone closes a few minutes later the manager will cut someone else's hours. We received a "generous" raise of fifty cents a few months ago, we're already underpaid. Customer service does not side with the employee, they give into horrible entitled customers. They make us sign people up for credit cards and we get yelled at if our sales average is low. There is a lot of competition between some coworkers due to this, we act like we have commission but we do not get compensated well enough. If it weren't for the two awesome coworkers that I am friendly with I would quit (also waiting for my other applications to go through).

Pros

Friendly Coworker. 30% Discount

Cons

Low pay Drama, Stress, No Security, Bad Hours, Blamed for everything

Company itself is okay, the manager was awful

I worked at the Sangamon location and I only worked here for a short time, as I had just moved and was in limbo when it came to employment. The manager at the location I worked at was probably the worst I’ve ever been around. As someone who has worked retail management for years I was disappointed in their lack of leadership skills. Was very lazy, hypocritical and rude to some of the associates. I could go on and on but that pretty much sums it up.

Pros

Slow traffic meant I was able to learn about products on my down time.

Cons

Poor pay. Bad store management

My all time favorite company

This has by far been my favorite company to work for. My upper management was fantastic up until we realigned districts which is why I left. They truly care about your well being and they offer great employee perks such as buying programs and monthly discounts on certain things.

Not the best

Overworked, manager barely hired any new employees, only had four employees max and two every shift. Had to do basically everything while tha manager sat in the back gossiping about whoever and whatever.

Free Product Good Perk

Your store manager will dictate the vibe of your store. If they’re good/flexible/understanding/hardworking, you’ll have a fine time. If they’re not... get out. you’ll do all the work and get no recognition

Pros

Free product 1/month

Cons

Upper management disconnect, janky computer system

Don't work here lmao

Associates get LITTLE TO NO TRAINING, and you're left to figure out mostly everything yourself. If co-workers have been there longer and willing to help, which is rare, you're in luck. Some customers are rude and pompous and expect you to be a professional when aforementioned, you get almost no training on products. Management is a JOKE and the company itself only cares about the numbers. Literally the only good thing about this job was the employee discount and free samples. Please don't work here...

Pros

employee discount, free samples

Cons

No training, inconsistent management

Little pay and little hours.

I mean the upper management is not the best and they don’t pay very well. My raise was .10 after working for over a year. And I didn’t really feel appreciated by upper management there.

Pros

Free products

Cons

No benefits and little Pay

Great part time job

The team I have is amazing, the location is amazing, the inclusivity is amazing, and the job is fun and relaxed. It’s great part time job. The only complaint I have is in regard to upper management not doing a great job at listening to, and inspiring employees.

Pros

Easy tasks, fun team, great clients

Cons

Upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sally Beauty. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.1K
1.2K
1.1K

Women's ratings

3.0Fairygodboss Score

50%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

0%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by  Fairygodboss