Sally Beauty Employee Reviews

Found 2,658 reviews matching the search See all 2,891 reviews
Poor management
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Salem, ORFebruary 14, 2019
I really loved working with the products and the people but the management is unprofessional, put in hours for herself that she didnt work, was passive aggressive towards her employees.
Pros
Discounts.
Cons
Poor pay, management, hours
Pretty legit
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Kaneohe, HIFebruary 12, 2019
Pretty cool atmosphere. Management is kind of wonky. Lots of training to prepare you. Does not transfer very well, if at all. Hours can be long. Great advancement
very productive and fun work place
Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Denton, TXFebruary 12, 2019
It was always so busy at work with a lot of calls but the most enjoyable part about my job was my team member, they made it fun to wake up in the morning to attend work.
Beauty Consultant (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAFebruary 12, 2019
Managers and coworkers were great to work with. They worked well with my schedule. Great training. Great customer service. Well organized with management.
Great Employees, Fantastic Managers, Horrible District Management.
Sales Associate/Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hyannis, MA 02601February 12, 2019
Enjoyed supplying everyday customers with help selecting products best fit for their needs. Upkeep of store was relatively easy, chemical spills were the most difficult to handle especially with customers in store. Shipments were moslty difficult, especially with larger shipments. Starting out, expectations for shipment were unrealistic. Higher-ups later were more relaxed and flexible when it came to bringing out shipments.
When starting, management was resourceful, supportive, organized. Higher-ups were also supportive, well organized, and willing to work with stores to optimize sales.
When leaving company, management went downhill. Store Management was still supportive, organized, and perfect. However, Higher-ups had no regard for employee safety/comfort. Did not supply workers with enough hours for sufficient living. Insisted managers employ more workers while not supplying current employees with enough hours. Higher-ups also now giving out unrealistic sales goals. Would not go back, even for higher pay.
Overall good employees. Always helpful, working with you and supporting you. Fantastic with helping customers to find products they need. Would go back just for other employees and the support they give.
Pros
Wonderful Store Managers and other Employees.
Cons
Unrealistic expectations for sales, terrible district management. Disregard for employee safety/well being.
productive and fun
BEAUTY CONSULTANT (Former Employee) –  Smyrna, GAFebruary 12, 2019
Loved it! Its a chance to learn while getting paid, meet diffrent people who likes diffrent colors for the hair. I also gained alot of knowledge the cosmotologist way like dye for your hsir
Good retailer
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYFebruary 11, 2019
Sally Beauty is a great opportunity for a fun work experience surrounded by beauty products. It is very team oriented and sales driven. Full time employees receive great benefits, part time is very flexible.
Not worth it
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHFebruary 9, 2019
If you like learning/teaching about beauty products you might like working here BUT it’s a very competitive environment. Management expects a lot from their employees for little pay, and unless you are someone’s favorite you wont go far working here.
Pros
Discounts, customers
Cons
Drama, No training, Low pay
Not a good place for me too much drama
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alamogordo, NMFebruary 7, 2019
When I got hired no one was nice didn’t know anything about ther products. I put filled out my application form and my employer gave me a call but then later said she couldn’t work with my schedule. I kept to myself my employer was upset when I was quiet so I started to talk to the other coworkers more and more but they would just tell all my business every time we would talk so I wasn’t really comfortable at work because I couldn’t talk to anyone nor was I showing appreciation for my job. I was there on time I was even there two hours early when I was called in and still perform my job.
Pros
Grateful do you have a job
Cons
Manager and others authority over me wasn’t very welcoming or respectful of me
Fun place to work, Management can make or break it for you
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Glendale, AZFebruary 7, 2019
If you love the beauty world and are seeking something part time, this would be great for you. However, it usually take time to gain more hours. But if you work hard and express a desire to learn and get promoted it can usually happen for you. Be prepared to never call out as it is very hard to get a shift covered with a very small staff. I recommend negotiating pay if you have previous experience in retail/sales/cosmetology, if not you will most likely just get minimum wage. I have loved every manager I've had while working there for years which definitely makes you want to stay as well as a discount on products. Must be able to multitask and be very aware of your surroundings as there tends to be quite a bit of theft. Overall fun job.
Pros
Management, discounts, employee samples, fun if you love beauty
Cons
few hours usually given, healthcare only offered for 30+ hours
Retail job
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Grove City, OHFebruary 7, 2019
This has all of the same problems that a retail job will have. You really have to work for the perks and there are not any guarantees that you will get them even if you put the work in.
Fun work place
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COFebruary 7, 2019
I was with the company for 9 years. I enjoyed working with the crew I had and the customers were great. It was a million dollar store that I ran. Started off as a sales associate and moved up to Store Manager
Pros
They won't over work you as a sales associate
Cons
Short breaks
some days very busy
Store manager (Former Employee) –  Clinton, MSFebruary 6, 2019
I go in at 8:30. deactivate there alarm. count the registers. get the deposit together. put the deposit in. take the deposit to the bank. set the new ads for the store. get on a conference call for an hour. help customers find what they need. continue to reset the store. complete the ad. clock out at 6:00
Pros
no set time for lunch
Cons
less hours for associates
A place to work and learn
Beauty Advisor (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Sally's beauty supply main focus is about costumer services. On a daily base, you are designed to do a daily task and sign a paper to finish your activity. However, if a costumer walks in , you have to top your daily task and approach them with a welcoming gesture and engage with what brought him or her to the store.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
two shifts and long shifts on the weekends
good
merchandising and daily operating store (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 4, 2019
i liked working at salley especially if your in to hair and makeup , you really leaarn alot i liked working there i got to learn about hair products, and hair in genral
Terrible.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Enfield, CTFebruary 3, 2019
Worked here for six months. Taught me a lot as it was my first retail job, but management is VERY sketchy. They are like a high school clique, whispering amongst themselves about others, sabotaging employee success. Huge lack of disregared for personal life, managers have a power trip. Very unfortunate, as I greatly enjoy beauty/hair but it is not worth it to stay in this TOXIC environment! Save yourself the grief.
Pros
free samples
Cons
management
Fun place to work
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Lansing, ILFebruary 2, 2019
Customer Service is number one
Love helping customers
Excellent teamwork
Very knowledgeable about product s
Paid Holidays
401k
Paid sick days
Wonderful Staff
Loved this job , loved painting smiles on customers who come and go
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  Shelby, NCFebruary 1, 2019
I absolutely loved this job. I was able to fit right in and I was so thankful I did! I enjoyed painting smiles on peoples faces that made my day knowing that I was able to make others day brighter!
Pros
10 min paid breaks
Cons
Front face and forward, moving all products up and making sure they were presentable every night
Going thru many much needed changes.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilmington, NCFebruary 1, 2019
Many much needed changes, Upper field management in my area were not competent and did not hold everyone to the same standards. Payroll hours have been cut 3 times in the last 2 years, leaving people to work and close alone to be in compliance.
Pros
Free employee samples
Cons
pay, expectation of closing alone, inadequate payroll hours.
Fun place to work
Beauty Advisor (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 1, 2019
Organization lacked infrastructure but was very strongly assumed towards its mission. Very easy to get along with coworkers and great knowledge that ward learned on the job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sally Beauty. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.4Personal Development

3.2Career Opportunities

2.5Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight