Salmon Companies Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
very poor managered
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 2, 2018
lack of communication with drivers and management there are drivers hired in from other mail hauling companies that went out business that can do what they want too do , area manager and asst. manager lets them do whatever they want too do pick @ choose which truck they want to use and nothing is said too them, in closing corporate needs too come to Cincinnati terminal.
Pros
pay decent
Cons
high insurance, poorly managed, ohio terminal
Comfortable Place to Work, Team-Oriented
Employee Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 27, 2018
I really enjoy working at Salmon Companies terminal in Harrisburg. Being in the trucking industry at various other companies, I felt that this location carried itself very well compared to many others. The terminal manager, operations manager, and drivers have wonderful interpersonal relationships. I am blown away by the good-nature, respect, and loyalty displayed by these individuals. I experienced the same professionalism and respect from members at the corporate office in Little Rock, Arkansas, as well. I would highly recommend joining this team.
Pros
Great coworkers, benefits, relaxed
Cons
Drivers get upset about mandated insurance
If you enjoy being Micromanaged - this place is for you!
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 16, 2018
Never truthful about the position when interviewed - As mush as I love the industry this place isn't for advancement as they have their cliche and micromanaging ways. The position itself would be intriguing if they had updated software and systems in the trucks for you to track and trace and updated Electronic Logs.

Also this place believes HIPPAA is only for medical field as they tell it all from drivers health issues to a family member being in jail. This place would be prosperous with the right management as its an Awesome Contract they have with the post office.
Pros
insurance and location, they bought lunch often.
Cons
micromanaged from the time you walk in till the time you hit your car

Comment – April 18, 2018

I believe it. a friend of mine worked there for a minute in the office they have and was told by the drivers don't go buying anything new as the one lady that is in office never keeps anyone and you'll be out of a job within 89 days. true story.

Not a place for a career
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 16, 2018
The management is highly disorganized with a high turnover ratio and the insurance cost is unreasonably high for the benefits. A normal day is dealing with a lack of resources and having management blame you for the lack.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Low pay and very high cost of insurance
No review summary
Processor (Current Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARAugust 27, 2017
This is a laid back company. Good to work for but hard to advance. Tried to move to another position but a employees daughter with no experience was placed in it.
Pros
Non
Cons
Non
Ever growing company with great work force
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 15, 2017
Salmon Companies is a large, ever growing company that is contracted with the US postal service. They haul mail all over the country for the USPS and are constantly obtaining new contracts with them.
Fun place to work, laid back environment, lots of work but always interesting.
hostile work enviroment
dispatch administrator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 13, 2017
manager is all military in a civilian business and wants to write meaningless letters on employees. company suffers not being able to compete for road drivers due to burdensome insurance plan and weak benefits. Very depressed atmosphere leading to employee turnover
Cons
gotta work every holiday, way too much meaningless paperwork. Too complicated to remeber everything
safe house with showers available
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 1, 2017
Having merged into a fixed schedule as full-time employee after 2 mos. of phone usage. Could then mange a life-style for work / home. The full-benefits was amazing.
Pros
Tax exempt vacation check
Cons
plenty of work space
You are a piece of meat
Driver (Former Employee) –  DesMarch 26, 2017
Dispatchers gave incorrect information or had no idea what was going on, communication was horrible from the company and it was. Dangerous vehicles and idiot dispatchers
Pros
Money
Cons
Management and equipment
Nice people to work with
Safety Director (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 2, 2017
Assist with development and implementation of policies, guidelines, and procedures to ensure effective and economical support for manufacturing or servicing of products, equipment, and systems. Control the efficient flow of goods, services, and information between point of origin through customer placement in order to meet customer requirements. Analyze shipment rates using computer optimization. Assess software for accuracy and maintain all documentation to include routing, customer data, scheduling and transit requirements
Not a professional place to be if you have plans on moving up or learning.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2017
After working years in a professional environment, this was culture shock. I don't feel they have employee moral as a result of management have the ability to come together against the drivers that actually work so that they can have a job.

They are not overly concerned with the safety of their drivers as they should be. I don't think the owner knows exactly what truly happens and if they do, all I can say is karma is dangerous.

I hope they understand the value of their drivers one day or the company will loose in the end.
Pros
Possible overtime.
Cons
No sick time or personal time. No real holidays. You don't work, you don't get paid period
Decent Company To Work For
Driver (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 3, 2016
I'm not one to make compliance about a job, I actually the company & the people, the only problem is the insurance is too expensive & you can't opt out of it to find your own insurance. I love the fact that you get to pick a run you like depending on senority, but again it just feels like your working to pay the insurance. Outside of that the company is great to me.
Pros
The Job Is Great, Decent Pay, I Have A Steady Dedicated Run, Home Every Day, Great Family Environment.
Cons
Health Care Benefits Are Way Too Expensive That Take A lot Out Of My Paycheck.
productive and excellent company
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCApril 14, 2016
Great company. They're very understanding when it comes to family and personal emergencies. Good benefits, workers are very caring, Hours were pretty steady.
Benefits
Cons
Dont really have none
bad bad bad
driver (Former Employee) –  Shreveport laMarch 17, 2015
Bad horrible dont go, shoulnt even gotten the one star. Dont go look else were im warning u, everything is bad bad bad. Theyre trucks are horrible piece of junk, management is terrible, be 5min late they writing u up
Pros
nun
Cons
all
Being ex-military and used to the dicipline needed to manage huge numbers of personnel, I rate the job that my company did as "superb".
Tractor-Trailer Delivery Driver. (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2015
a. A typical day at work--. This simply meant showing up at work in
time to check in with Dispatch; pre-trip your assigned vehicle
and get to the postal facility on time.
b. What I learned--. I learned, among other things, "time manage-
ment" is everything. (The volume of U.S. Mail is so large that a
driver has to always understand that for the pick-up and delivery
process to work for the U.S.P.S., it's crucial for schedules to be
maintained,--but not at the expense of sacrificing safety of
course).
c. Management--. Excellent.
d. Co-Workers--. Excellent.
e. Hardest part of the job--.Dealing with attitudes of some Postal
Facilities managers when I'd be late due to weather or traffic.
f. Most enjoyable part of the job--. Being employed in the Trans-
portation Industry as a professional driver delivering the U.S.
mail that millions depended on.
Pros
It was a very good paying job.
Cons
Healthcare benefits were minimal; also, no sick leave provisions.
A nice office job
Terminal Assistant (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 6, 2015
A typical day is calm and not too much paperwork. I enjoy working with my co-workers. The management team is friendly and easy going. We have fun while during work.This job is not hard at all. I have learned a lot about trucks, logistics, and the business environment.
horrible place to work
class c mechanic whatever that means (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioSeptember 7, 2014
The worst place I have ever worked. Management is a complete mess. Area manager eric dilly never around and doesn't manage the people under him terminal manager is completely unsure of how to do her job and maintenance manager is a spineless coward and liar. He jumps when they tell him to and has no control over the peo
ple under him . Do not apply in Cincinnati. Huge mistake if you do. Drivers are cry babies they sit in a truck for 25 an hour and act like its hard
work. The big shots from little rock need to show up announced sometime and see for themselves. Shut this terminal down save some money you would be surprised how much of your money is being wasted
Pros
do whatever you want show up when you want
Cons
no overtime pay no appreciation and drivers are the only important people in company
No go its gotten bad...REAL BAD!
FULL TIME CURRENT DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GaJune 12, 2014
Unless you are just at rock bottom and have no where else to turn go somewhere else. This company used to be good to work for but now it just keeps getting worse and the Salmons just don't seem to care the management don't care about employees and have had several deaths due to unsafe/unhealthy conditions.
Pros
decent compensation
Cons
Mold in Terminals, Run down unsafe trucks, Poor management, drivers pay everyones ins
no good
driver (Former Employee) –  Greensboro nvMay 16, 2014
6 yrs and then tells u with 3 days notice sorry we lost the contracts...very high insurance very old run down trucks...to of a risk.management doesn.t have ur back
Pros
good pay
Cons
to many
Would not recommended my worst enemy
CDL VEHICLE DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 22, 2014
Very prejudice management. .lie about everything..they think drivers are ignorant/unintelligent. .rip you off on pay day..if you dont mind driving junk trucks or being disrepected by management they would love to have you. WARNING:they promise you the world in orientation but when you start work it wont take long to figure out they are full of it....my advise-just keep it moving..these people crawled out of a land field.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
wrong people in management