Salmon Companies Employee Reviews

Bad
Shop Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 5, 2019
Life at pat salmon was very frustrating. You never knew where you stood or what they really wanted. Summers were hot and winters were cold working in the shop. My job title was shop clerk, but really a gopher. Most of the time I was picking up parts and running for the shop foreman. Don't really know if I was fired are layed off. I know one thing is I will never work their again. Pat salmon would buy the cheapest equipment humanely possible for the shop including trucks so the shop foreman could get his big fat bonus at year's end. Raises were obsolete for all the shop personnel including me. Like other reviews, the company did not care about their employees. Like I was told when I hired on, do not expect a raise, and they mean it. 1 more thing everybody worked on holidays except Christmas
Pros
Saturday and Sunday off
Cons
Salary and no benefits
Unsafe equipment
Teuck driver (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLTampa FloridaJanuary 6, 2019
Good place if you need a job for a short period
But the EQUIPMENT is very unsafe and very old nobody fixes nothing patch work only. You work 6 to 7 days a week mostly nights and you average from 28 to 37 and a half hour a a week or if you lucky you will get a rout with 40 hours and maybe one day off on the weekend but you would have to be working there for 15 to 20 years before you get a weekend off they is no such thing as family time or me time if you work here, insurance is about 300 or 400 a week if you have a family other than that you will never move up and you will always drive unsafe EQUIPMENT that would f up your CSA so the call is all yours.
Pros
Decient money
Cons
Poor management
This is NOT a good company to work for.
Truck Driver Class A (Former Employee) –  Austin TXOctober 21, 2018
I worked this actual job in Austin. Paid 8 hours for a 14 hour day. 5+ hours UNPAID lay-over 5 days a week in Dallas. 7AM - 9PM Saturday - Wednesday. Very high cost, low quality, health insurance. Stupid propane trucks. United Health insurance is $500+ Monthly. No sick pay. 40 hours vac 10 paid holidays. No O.T Pay. Dirty facilities. Nasty bunkhouse. Stuck there on holidays.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, expensive healthcare
If you enjoy being Micromanaged - this place is for you!
Transportation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAApril 16, 2018
Never truthful about the position when interviewed - As mush as I love the industry this place isn't for advancement as they have their cliche and micromanaging ways. The position itself would be intriguing if they had updated software and systems in the trucks for you to track and trace and updated Electronic Logs.

Also this place believes HIPPAA is only for medical field as they tell it all from drivers health issues to a family member being in jail. This place would be prosperous with the right management as its an Awesome Contract they have with the post office.
Pros
insurance and location, they bought lunch often.
Cons
micromanaged from the time you walk in till the time you hit your car

Comment – April 18, 2018

I believe it. a friend of mine worked there for a minute in the office they have and was told by the drivers don't go buying anything new as the one lady that is in office never keeps anyone and you'll be out of a job within 89 days. true story.

Not a place where your passion can thrive!
Operations Supervisor/Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 1, 2018
Great work schedule/conductive for a working mom with children. The work ethic among other employees is very poor-makes for an uncomfortable and depressing work environment. Management is weak and not educated on our industry. Would like an opportunity where I can grow more.
Pros
Great work schedule
Cons
Healthcare
Comfortable Place to Work, Team-Oriented
Employee Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAJune 27, 2018
I really enjoy working at Salmon Companies terminal in Harrisburg. Being in the trucking industry at various other companies, I felt that this location carried itself very well compared to many others. The terminal manager, operations manager, and drivers have wonderful interpersonal relationships. I am blown away by the good-nature, respect, and loyalty displayed by these individuals. I experienced the same professionalism and respect from members at the corporate office in Little Rock, Arkansas, as well. I would highly recommend joining this team.
Pros
Great coworkers, benefits, relaxed
Cons
Drivers get upset about mandated insurance
Management improvements could greatly improve work conditions
U.S. Postal Service Contractor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 11, 2018
Management is not great and doesn't address that some drivers milk the system to get overage pay. Believe they should market the "Health & Wellness" pay as free healthcare not extra pay since you are REQUIRED to have their (very pricey) insurance even if you already have insurance with your spouse.
Stable Company
Terminal Clerk (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNSeptember 16, 2018
You can make a home there.
Peak months are during Christmas time
Good company to work for
Good home time
Good pay every week
Good management and office people
very poor managered
Driver (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJuly 2, 2018
lack of communication with drivers and management there are drivers hired in from other mail hauling companies that went out business that can do what they want too do , area manager and asst. manager lets them do whatever they want too do pick @ choose which truck they want to use and nothing is said too them, in closing corporate needs too come to Cincinnati terminal.
Pros
pay decent
Cons
high insurance, poorly managed, ohio terminal
Not a place for a career
Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 16, 2018
The management is highly disorganized with a high turnover ratio and the insurance cost is unreasonably high for the benefits. A normal day is dealing with a lack of resources and having management blame you for the lack.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
Low pay and very high cost of insurance
Not a professional place to be if you have plans on moving up or learning.
Administrative Support (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2017
After working years in a professional environment, this was culture shock. I don't feel they have employee moral as a result of management have the ability to come together against the drivers that actually work so that they can have a job.

They are not overly concerned with the safety of their drivers as they should be. I don't think the owner knows exactly what truly happens and if they do, all I can say is karma is dangerous.

I hope they understand the value of their drivers one day or the company will loose in the end.
Pros
Possible overtime.
Cons
No sick time or personal time. No real holidays. You don't work, you don't get paid period
Being ex-military and used to the dicipline needed to manage huge numbers of personnel, I rate the job that my company did as "superb".
Tractor-Trailer Delivery Driver. (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 22, 2015
a. A typical day at work--. This simply meant showing up at work in
time to check in with Dispatch; pre-trip your assigned vehicle
and get to the postal facility on time.
b. What I learned--. I learned, among other things, "time manage-
ment" is everything. (The volume of U.S. Mail is so large that a
driver has to always understand that for the pick-up and delivery
process to work for the U.S.P.S., it's crucial for schedules to be
maintained,--but not at the expense of sacrificing safety of
course).
c. Management--. Excellent.
d. Co-Workers--. Excellent.
e. Hardest part of the job--.Dealing with attitudes of some Postal
Facilities managers when I'd be late due to weather or traffic.
f. Most enjoyable part of the job--. Being employed in the Trans-
portation Industry as a professional driver delivering the U.S.
mail that millions depended on.
Pros
It was a very good paying job.
Cons
Healthcare benefits were minimal; also, no sick leave provisions.
No go its gotten bad...REAL BAD!
FULL TIME CURRENT DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GaJune 12, 2014
Unless you are just at rock bottom and have no where else to turn go somewhere else. This company used to be good to work for but now it just keeps getting worse and the Salmons just don't seem to care the management don't care about employees and have had several deaths due to unsafe/unhealthy conditions.
Pros
decent compensation
Cons
Mold in Terminals, Run down unsafe trucks, Poor management, drivers pay everyones ins
horrible place to work
class c mechanic whatever that means (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati OhioSeptember 7, 2014
The worst place I have ever worked. Management is a complete mess. Area manager eric dilly never around and doesn't manage the people under him terminal manager is completely unsure of how to do her job and maintenance manager is a spineless coward and liar. He jumps when they tell him to and has no control over the peo
ple under him . Do not apply in Cincinnati. Huge mistake if you do. Drivers are cry babies they sit in a truck for 25 an hour and act like its hard
work. The big shots from little rock need to show up announced sometime and see for themselves. Shut this terminal down save some money you would be surprised how much of your money is being wasted
Pros
do whatever you want show up when you want
Cons
no overtime pay no appreciation and drivers are the only important people in company
hostile work enviroment
dispatch administrator (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 13, 2017
manager is all military in a civilian business and wants to write meaningless letters on employees. company suffers not being able to compete for road drivers due to burdensome insurance plan and weak benefits. Very depressed atmosphere leading to employee turnover
Cons
gotta work every holiday, way too much meaningless paperwork. Too complicated to remeber everything
Not bad if single.
Current driver (Current Employee) –  MemphisAugust 8, 2013
If your single you can work your tail off. The pay could be little better. The ins is ungodly high and it sucks on top of it. Theres no communication in office or management. Highly unorganized, theres people in office who arent qualified for jobs they have. Theyll lie to to you and stab in the back. They change policies in a no notice than not say anything to any of the drivers. Lots of drama. Not all trucks have correct permits or try to help you get them. The shop doesnt hardly fix anything, any yet the office complains loads arent on time.
Pros
Some of people and pay is decent.
Cons
High cost ins and ins sucks. Management highly unorganized.
Decent Company To Work For
Driver (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLAugust 3, 2016
I'm not one to make compliance about a job, I actually the company & the people, the only problem is the insurance is too expensive & you can't opt out of it to find your own insurance. I love the fact that you get to pick a run you like depending on senority, but again it just feels like your working to pay the insurance. Outside of that the company is great to me.
Pros
The Job Is Great, Decent Pay, I Have A Steady Dedicated Run, Home Every Day, Great Family Environment.
Cons
Health Care Benefits Are Way Too Expensive That Take A lot Out Of My Paycheck.
Horrible Company to Work For!!!
OTR Driver (Current Employee) –  FloridaFebruary 16, 2014
Although the company pay is comfortable, the committment to employees is horrible. Drivers at various sites work long hours and are not always paid for them (stranded Atlanta drivers). Reimbursement to employees for various purchases (such as fuel) takes forever. There is no allegiance to seniority when determining routes! Most trucks are old with over 1,000,000 miles. No solid leadership! Incompetent leders. Horrible employee/employer relations.Lack of committment to resolve problems.
Would not recommended my worst enemy
CDL VEHICLE DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLFebruary 22, 2014
Very prejudice management. .lie about everything..they think drivers are ignorant/unintelligent. .rip you off on pay day..if you dont mind driving junk trucks or being disrepected by management they would love to have you. WARNING:they promise you the world in orientation but when you start work it wont take long to figure out they are full of it....my advise-just keep it moving..these people crawled out of a land field.
Pros
good co-workers
Cons
wrong people in management
safe house with showers available
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  ArkansasJuly 1, 2017
Having merged into a fixed schedule as full-time employee after 2 mos. of phone usage. Could then mange a life-style for work / home. The full-benefits was amazing.
Pros
Tax exempt vacation check
Cons
plenty of work space

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salmon Companies. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9