Salt & Straw Employee Reviews

I should have listened to the lower star ratings
Scooper (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORJune 22, 2018
The higher reviews were probably written by corporate. Incredibly stressful environment and the management/ownership is completely out of touch. Everybody is nice and friendly which is the only saving grace, but they use your friendship to guilt you into working more or coming in on days off. Tons of injuries from the amount of scooping and hours spent on your feet.
Pros
Free icecream
Cons
High Stress, short breaks, poor management
Productive and high spirited place to work!
Ice Cream Scooper (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 23, 2018
No one can be mad about ice cream. I loved walking into work everyday and putting a smile on the face of nearly every customer that walked through our doors!
Great work environment
Scooper (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 13, 2018
Everyone is super friendly, manager is great, assistant managers and shift leads are great, very fun place to work, quick paced but not hard to learn the ropes.
Pros
Free ice cream
Cons
Sometimes you burn yourself on the waffle iron
this place sucks
Scooper/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 1, 2018
never work here the managers they are training are completely racist and suck so much. they only are about sales and don't care that their employees are in pain from working on the line so much and for so long.
Pros
ice creams
Cons
everything else
Easy money, with options for benefits. However everyone is spineless
Pint/Prep (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 22, 2017
Truthfully, working in the kitchen was not a bad experience. However the managers are not prepared to be successful in such a place. The workload and pressure that is placed amongst them is beyond unfair. It's truly a scenario of the blind leaving the blind. The management and office team are lovely people, and I'm sure they face their own problems however there is an obvious separation that feels like a class war. The longer you work in the environment you start to see how incredibly unjust things are ran there.
Pros
Relaxed Work Environment, Free Pint of Ice Cream Weekly
Cons
It all boils down to lack of ethics and principles
Great environment, truly a company that cares about their employees!
Shift Leader (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 15, 2017
Currently a shift lead, and I love working at S&S. We have great employees, great management, and awesome customers. If you love working in customer service, definitely look into applying. S&S is huge on customer service, experience, and hospitality. The only con is amount of hours. I do wish I worked 8 hours every day I work.
Pros
Work/Life Balance, Free Ice Cream, Good Management
Cons
Little hours
Fun Part Time Place to Work
Event Lead (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 10, 2017
I love my job at Salt & Straw. My co-workers are amazing and the staff is amazing. The only downfall is that there are only hours when there are events. So it is more of a Part Time position.
Pros
Awesome culture
Cons
Low hours
Fun-loving, happy-going, productive work environment!
Ice Cream Scooper (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 5, 2016
Salt & Straw is a fast-paced, fun-loving work environment where excellent customer service is a must! Hundreds of people move through the shops each day for the best cones around, keeping scoopers on their toes as they serve the never-ending line. Managers make it a priority to keep their staff up-to-date on each new product and are involved with the customers as well, scooping ice cream right alongside their workers. Co-workers move together fluidly as a team, learning to work around each other in tight spaces and switch between rotating shifts with ease. Challenges arise infrequently, and the hardest part of the job only comes from standing consistently for 8+ hours with short breaks. Overall, Salt & Straw helps to bring smiles to the hundreds of faces a day through good food and a fun time, and through that we as workers leave with smiles too.
Pros
1 free scoop per shift and 1 free pint per week
Cons
Long hours, short breaks