Salt Lake City Corporation Employee Reviews

Unfriendly and Dishonest (at least in the Finance Division)
Senior Financial Analyst Auditor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 16, 2019
This was the most unfriendly office environment I've ever encountered. There was a puzzle for people to work on in the back room when they needed breaks but people were so skittish to work on the puzzles that I got the impression they weren't really supposed to spend any time there, like it was some sort of trap.

Even still, the puzzles were probably the best part, since the job itself was so extremely boring. No training was offered. Questions were discouraged. Discipline was administered even though the expectations were never clearly defined. It was also difficult being constantly ignored by supervisors and coworkers alike.
Pros
Salary is high compared to many other municipalities
Cons
Terrible leadership, supervisory inexperience/cowardice
Fantastic coworkers in a high paced setting
911 Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 30, 2018
911 is an amazing experience but requires a lot of teamwork, quick reacting and willingness to take abuse. Many calls are civil complaints and people get upset when advised of that (or the length of time waiting for officers). Emergency callers range from calm to distraught to hysterical. Operators must be able to gain information and provide instructions without bias. You may hear very disturbing calls of domestic violence or suicide. 911 is not for the faint of heart but its one of the most amazing jobs you will have.
Ok Place to work if you want to coast
General Ledger/Financial Reporting Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 19, 2018
Management is awful and only cares about themselves. There is no room to grow. They always hire outside instead of promoting from within. Disparity among the departments with some departments paying way more than others.
A great place to work.
water distrobution operator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake CitySeptember 15, 2018
Salt Lake City Corporation is a great place to start out in a career and advance in skills. Move your way up and change jobs into other sectors if not satisfied with the one you are currently working in. It is a stable work environment with lots of great managers and co-workers to be around. The pay however needs a bit of improvement to keep up with the cost of living.
Pros
Excellent benefits, vacation, personnel leave, steady employment, etc.
Cons
Hourly wages need to increase to meet cost of living.
my time with salt lake city
Groundskeeper (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 3, 2018
I love salt lake city corporation
I would not want to work anywhere else
people and so friendly it has grate benefits
the upper management are helpful and treat you like people
Great people
Permit Processor II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 6, 2018
I currently work with a great group of people. We have a diverse group of people from all back rounds in this building who bring a lot of different but great ideas to the table.
n/a
SEASONAL SPECIAL EVENTS AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 28, 2018
Salt Lake City is a great place to work if you have a great manager. I have nothing else I want to elaborate on right now. A lot of great people work for the city.
fun place to work,chalenged me offten.
golf course assistant superintendent (Former Employee) –  salt lake city, mountain dell golf courseMarch 8, 2018
start work at 5;00 am assinged jobs for the crew.went out mowed greens, did irrigation repar,worked untill about 3;30 pm. iliked working outside. the hardest part was getting up to work at 5;00 am 7 days a week
Pros
working outside.
Cons
some days it was cold and rainy.
Salt Lake City Mayors Office
Trainee and Sustainabilaty Coordinator Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 26, 2018
Good work to life balance. It is rewarding to see project be implemented so quickly which in turn excites employees. Some bureaucracy exists but it is expected from a city government.
What to say
Pariking Enforcement (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 18, 2018
For me Salt Lake City was not a good fit. The have good benefits, good people. I was just in a situation that was very confusion for me and things didn't go well
Pros
Loved working outside and ridding a bike
Cons
Hated it when it snowed
Good Pay and Benefits Odd Work Culture
Compliance Program Director (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 17, 2018
The decision making was collaborative. Many great people working there. It is a city government so the pluses and minuses that come with a political environment are present.

Most employees are dedicated to providing excellent service to the citizens working or living there. There is a positive environment fostered and an appreciation for individual and team effort.

Personnel policies and guidelines are broad and somewhat ambiguous which from a management perspective allowed flexibility but from an employee perspective left too little guidance.

Although I was treated well, I often felt out of place. Culturally I felt like a fish out of water.
Pros
Pay and Benefits
productive and stressful
Parking Enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 29, 2017
 Responsible enforcing parking code.
 Responsible for resolving parking disputes.
 One year on city snowfighter program
Responsible for patrolling assigned area
stay busy
groundskeeper (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake, UTDecember 20, 2017
you stay busy and always have something to do you meet all kinds of different people working at the city parks and you get the satisfaction of knowing that you are part of why the parks lawns and trees etc. look nice
Pros
meet nice people
Cons
seasonal
Productive and Friendly Co-workers.
Executive Assistant to Mayor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTDecember 5, 2017
Lovely offices. Friendly staff. Interesting work.
Mayor at the time of my employment was very difficult to get along with. He wouldn't take the time to tell anyone what was required; it was mostly a guessing game.
I did love the calls from citizens and I was most anxious to always provide assistance.
I enjoyed meeting not only the staff in the Mayor's office but also the other departments who would schedule meetings with the Mayor, i.e. Police Department, Head of Mormon Church, Firemen, etc.
Pros
Lunch and Coffee breaks could be taken in cafeteria
High stress with great rewards
Daily Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 24, 2017
Working for the public sector is difficult to explain unless you've been a part of it. Holding a position as the Fleet director a lot of responsibilities fall on this individuals shoulders. I enjoyed this job extremely it maximized all of my abilities from working with employees supervising employees and maximizing the strength of my department wish I was still there. I fulfilled all responsibilities as a director and improve the Department's morale and productivity in a very short time frame.
Pros
Working in the private sector provided stability, and benefits that are not seen in the private sector
Cons
Appointed position approved by the mayor's office and city council
Relaxed yet very goal oriented.
After School Program Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTOctober 4, 2017
We had a very clear mission to improve the lives of our students, who were predominantly lower income families. Management gave us all the tools we need to make that happen.
Stressful but very rewarding.
Dispatcher II (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 20, 2017
It’s the craziest, most stressful job you’ll love. The crucial link between those needing help and those that can help. It’s not a it’s b for the weak of heart but if you can make it, you’ll never do anything else.
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Slat lake cityAugust 2, 2017
Is a great place to work managers and directors and all personal are great to work with started out as an equipment operator and advanced to supervisor
Pros
Able to advance
Cons
Work in different shifts
mundane work for average pay
Grounds & Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTApril 24, 2017
Tasks included lawnmowing, maintenance of plaza water features, and other opportunities to get your hands dirty for city money. Not a bad gig for the pay, but not exactly a career move.
Pros
good work for unskilled labor
Cons
modest pay, no other benefits
I loved working for the Salt Lake City Police Department
Office Technician II (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 10, 2017
I loved my job. The city changed the insurance that we had. That is the only reason I left the City. I wish I was still there!
Pros
Working in Law Enforcement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salt Lake City Corporation. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

2.8Personal Development

4.0Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Salt Lake City Corporation Reviews by Location