Salt Lake County Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Lifeguard
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Sandy, UTJuly 27, 2018
well our typical day at work we would go out and help our clients to be safe while having a good time in the pool. You would get assigned to about a minimum of 3 hours you would have time up on stand and then a break to do homework.
Pros
friends
Cons
High School Job
Great place to work!
HR Specialist (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJuly 2, 2018
The culture at Salt Lake County is all about inclusion and fairness. All voices are valid and heard. Teamwork is encouraged and everyone is willing to help each other out.
Pros
Benefits, pension, work/life balance
Good
Probation Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 29, 2018
I work 5 days a week and I love that it's flexible as long it gets approve by your supervisor. I have learned how to work with defendants and that I love going to court and work with different people.
It's a temporary county job
Lifeguard/Swim Instructor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 21, 2018
Good first job. That's about it. It's a low-paying county job with minimal career options. The people can either be great or straight awful, with not a lot in the middle. If you enjoy staring at water or cleaning a pool deck, I would recommend it. Otherwise, do it to pay a bill or two, or if you just can't find another option.
Pros
Flexible hours, not too difficult
Cons
Can be incredibly stressful with very little compensation
Fun job to have with a lot of great people and great management.
Ice Operations (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 21, 2018
Great management and easy laid back job for those going to school or a laid back part time job. Low pay and limited to 40 hours or less every week. Flexible and easy to work with for any schedule.
Negative place to work
Officer (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UT 84119May 19, 2018
Negative environment and long work hours. Dealt with the most negative people and that was not just the prisoners. There are some good people that made it tolerable but not enough.
Pros
Cons
Negative Environment, Long Work hours
Seasonal, Temporary, Part Time
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMay 18, 2018
Worked well with my school schedule most of the time. Pay was minimal. No opportunity for advancement. Full time positions rarely available, and lots of favorite-ism between management and certain employees. If you were not a "favorite", you never got anywhere. There were almost never any raises, not even cost of living, and no benefits of any kind. If they didn't like you, they would cut your hours down so low that you would eventually just quit. Therefore, you can't ever qualilfy for unemployment compensation.
Pros
usually worked around school schedule
Cons
no benefits, low wages
Nice pay/benefits - tough work environment
Registered Nurse, Corrections Nurse (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTMay 9, 2018
Great job but not for everyone. Kind of a depressing environment with inmates that are constantly trying to figure out how to manipulate employees in an attempt to get them to break rules.
Pros
Pay, reitrement
Cons
Some employees worse than inmates
Relaxed work place with great people
Lifeguard (Former Employee) –  Riverton, UTMay 3, 2018
You arrive and change into your uniform. In my case I would check in with the staff lead, headguard, and they would tell you which spot in the rotation you would start at. Stay in each spot for about 15 minutes and rotate to the next spot. About 3 spots per rotation. After all 3 spots you are on break for 15. Repeat until shift ends.
Pros
Good time to get to know coworkers and enough time to let the stress off
Cons
CAn be very hectic on busy days
Enjoy what I do
Referee (Current Employee) –  Taylorsville, UTApril 23, 2018
I enjoy my job. Let’s me stay active and help the youth out there playing sports. Another way to teach basketball. Something I love to do. And plan on doing for awhile.
good work place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 26, 2018
Was supervised in a laid back fashion but when work needed to be done there was never any slacking. I learned how to be productive in a tedious job, as well as always do your best work
Best place to work
Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 15, 2018
I Loved all my co-worker in Human Resource department , everyone is friendly and employees are treated with respect, career advancement within.

Thanks,
Great place to work!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTMarch 12, 2018
I really enjoy the people I work with it! I enjoy going to the different libraries with the Salt Lake County and to work different patrons. I love the flexibility I have. As a Customer Service Specialist-SUB, I can choose my own hours to work with and which library that needs me! Everyone is helpful and they want me to succeed! Thank you.
Pros
Able to advance in position at work depending what's available and advertised.
Cons
Need more full time job opportunities.
stressful and difficult as a Lifeguard
Swim Instructor / Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 27, 2018
We are treated and categorized as seasonal employees and we would not be eligible for benefits even if we worked over 40 hours a week. we would work with very short breaks had strict rules on our breaks.
Help Desk Technician (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTFebruary 16, 2018
I enjoyed the autonomy of my job. The workplace culture is great - people are friendly and helpful. I enjoyed going to all the different sites and getting to know people in all kinds of different roles.
Pros
autonomy, freedom
Why work for pennies on the dollar
FIREFIGHTER / EMT UNIFIED FIRE AUTHORITY (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake County, UTDecember 17, 2017
The pay, the benefits, and the lack of true leadership are horrendous.... However, if your golf game is great and your BS skills are polished you'll fit right in..
Pros
Serving your community
Cons
hahahahaha
Back stabbing, full of clicks, disconnected, old school, oppressive
Communications (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTNovember 29, 2017
If you like a slow paced environment, poor career advancement unless you are friends with staff in high places, salary not competitive with private sector, favoritism, zero incentives, employee engagement poor, no or low budgets, filled with policies and redtape, whistle blowers especially if you don't belong to the right party or adapt to their culture
Pros
There are some great organizations but poorly managed
Cons
Old school
Toxic Environment for Case Managers at Criminal Justice Services
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City UTOctober 17, 2017
My typical day is meeting with clients and/or attending court hearings. The administration in place now has no respect for employees, we all walk on eggshells, because they will write you up for the slightest infraction, for example: they will ask for feedback in a meeting, and if you provide it, they write you up. They will not let employees talk to each other in the hall and micromanage everything.

They have their favorite inner circe of friends they want to promote, and they choose who they want to hire before interviews are held. Employees can guess who is getting the next open position, it is always one of their new favorite employees. This is a documented practice. They are systemically targeting employees that have been there 10, 15, 20 or more years. It is deliberate. Salt Lake County has ignored this practice, ignored the 50% staff turnover rate and as a result the morale of CJS is the lowest I have seen in twenty years.

Their second trick is to move people into jobs they want them to have based on 'agency need', this is so they do not have to post a job and so they can put one of their favorite employees into that position.

Current management is targeting people that responded to an employee survey, they have a list of every person that answered the survey (they are not anonymous!) for termination. If you voice an opinion, offer feedback, or voice concerns you will be targeted with harassment.

The management was required to attend a training called Procedural Justice because their practices were so bad and they were unable to follow policy and procedure,
  more... and they came out of that training even more vengeful than before the training. They have zero insight into their own behavior.

The hardest part of the job is there is not enough time to do everything that is required of you. You will work overtime and not be compensated, and the caseloads are high.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the clients.

I do not recommend working as a case manager for Criminal Justice Services.
Pros
Attending court hearings, working with the clients.
Cons
Administration, Management, toxic workspace.
poor management/no clinical orientation
Treatment Specialist (Current Employee) –  Criminal Justice ServicesOctober 8, 2017
There is no clinical director at Criminal Justice Services, so management has no clinical background and makes decisions from a business perspective, not what is therapeutically sound for clients and clinicians. The workplace culture is hostile; if concerns arise the response is to be told to look for other employment. Management is not interested in the opinions or feelings of employees; they consider any expression to be "negative." Decisions are made without consulting the people they impact and new policies are poorly devised and poorly executed. The agency is chronically understaffed and the workload is at times unmanageable. The most enjoyable part of the job is the clientele. Salt Lake County is great to work for, but I would not recommend working for Criminal Justice Services in their Treatment division.
Pros
benefits, working with the clients
Cons
administration, heavy workload, micromanagement
N/a
Fiscal Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTSeptember 27, 2017
Poor management. Stressful environment, no loyalty to employee for there hard work. Getting a raise is a maybe! It might work for some, benefits increase every year.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
N/a

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Salt Lake County. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

4.0InHerSight Score

3.5Personal Development

4.4Career Opportunities

4.4Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight