Sam Ash Music Employee Reviews

Great workplace, pay sucks
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJAugust 22, 2018
I worked there for 2 years partime busting my balls to get 8.44 cents an hour 4 hours a day. About 140$ a week. Definitely not worth it. But if your a musician and need Equipment at around 15% off go for it. Great deals and great people.
Pros
Free water, 15% discount
Cons
Partime sucks
Worth the experience
Sales (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAAugust 20, 2018
Not the best location for training, since it's in the mall. I think it's a great environment for young musicians to learn more about the industry and professionalism, however the pay wasn't that great and there's no commission. I left to pursue other musical opportunities.
Pros
Learning the music industry, discounts on gear, laid back sales environment, benefits
Cons
No training, poor pay, lack of advancement
Not worth it
DRUM DEPARTMENT SALES ASSOCIATE/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaAugust 16, 2018
While I gained knowledge and experience in retail sales, the pay was not nearly enough to live on and the culture from the powers that be was that of apathy and ignorance. No benefits package, bad 401k, and horrible work environment. If it weren't for a few immediate supervisors and my coworkers, I would have quit long before I did. Little to no career advancement, low commission, and no work life balance.

If you need a job to break into the music instrument retail industry, go to a boutique store and network. Big box retail is dying.
Pros
Employee Discounts
Cons
Lack of work life balance, apathetic management, no career advancement, low wages
Fun Environment Where you can Learn and Grow
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYAugust 9, 2018
When I left Guitar Center in 2013, I was unsure of what to do next. Guitar was a company built by musicians for musicians, but after allowing themselves to be bought by Bain Capital, and expanding beyond it's means, it became a very negative place. It was hard to sales people to make any money. Morale was low. It was a very negative environment and I knew after 15 years, it was time to move on. I came to Sam Ash through a friend and got the gig. Very different vibe. It's still a small family run business, and they still are a fun place to work.
Minimum wage and smile about it.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  FloridaAugust 2, 2018
The whole pay structure of this company is to essentially pay them back what they pay you. This is referred to as your base. So, if you make $300 a week, you are expected to make $300 a week in sales. Otherwise, they pay you minimum wage. Anything made over that is your commission. The problem is that the company refuses to use modern advertising as they think its a waste of money. So your entire customer base is founded on word of mouth networking. At this point, you are fighting against the tide since Sam Ash has a fairly poor reputation due to constantly rotating through employees, and having a very low bar for employment.

A typical day consisted of stocking items, making sure price tags were correct, playing on instruments, and then fighting through other sales associates when a customer walked through the door. Heaven forbid the customer asks another person something while you are grabbing something for them because then you are expected to split your profits with the other person. Making an already impossible job even harder.

The best part, was that I got to play on instruments I love every day. Didn't do much to put food on the table, but I got a lot of practice time in.
Pros
Unlimited practice time
Cons
Poor pay, poor management, no support from corporate
Amazing atmosphere and great coworkers
Lessons Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Clearwater, FLJuly 16, 2018
Working at Sam Ash has been the most fun Ove had working at a job. The atmosphere was relaxed, organized, friendly, and I really enjoyed the culture. I made a lot of friends at Sam Ash and am sad that I have to leave.
Pros
Atmosphere, culture, customers.
Cons
Pay, hours
A Workplace of Great Lessons and Networking
Department Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Canoga Park, CAJuly 7, 2018
Time management, collaborating with teammates, building relationships with fellow musicians, the joy of competition, and the ups & downs of sales, are all part of working at Sam Ash. It is a great dojo for learning what you're made of in the face of adversity. Here I learned, quite unexpectedly, that I am a great salesman and I enjoy and care a lot about people.
Pros
Great discounts on music gear, close-knit care for musicians' schedules
Productive progressive work enviornment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ontario, CAJuly 3, 2018
My time at Sam Ash was good. I was in charge of helping customers understand what they wanted. My love for music and making music benefited me in this position.
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYJune 4, 2018
Decent company and a good atmosphere. But little room for advancement. Brick and morder store in a competitive online industry. Decent benefits package.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Poor pay scale
Great job if you are willing to work and not play around.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 29, 2018
Great company to work for, the staff is fun and energetic and management really cares about your success. It IS a sales job, so anyone thinking they are gonna come in and play with music gear all the time will not last long.
nice jobb
Costumer Service (Current Employee) –  Hialeah, FLMay 3, 2018
it was nice work for sam ash you work and at the same time your not working because every one treats you like family and every one it's friendly I will work again in Sam ash it really fun
Culture was great
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 2, 2018
I loved working there. The corporate culture was restrictive and does not work with the individual stores to help get customers in the store. Things could be SO great there and I wish them all the best and to fight the good fight.
A lot of fun if you love music
Drum Department Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJApril 5, 2018
Being able to share my love of my instruments and music with the customers was an amazing experience. The working environment was competitive because it was commission sales but everyone played fair.
Where experts get paid minimum wage
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Lyndhurst, OHFebruary 22, 2018
Aside from getting to be around cool music gear and the occasion fun and interesting musician customer, the commission structure is all but non-existent at this company now. Their outdated website, advertising, location, and in-store culture make foot traffic and new customer basis extremely difficult to actually earn money as to how it was years ago. Their is no real team attitude and communication on company policies and it is difficult to obtain unless one is already in-the-know. You are not even provided with an E-mail address as an employee for 90 days, which upper (off-site) management uses to make important chain-wide announcements. An air of negativity and exclusivity among veteran employees, combined with the aforementioned problems of this company, make this not a very pleasant job experience.
Pros
One hour lunch, get to be around cool music gear
Cons
Poor wages for long hours, outdated company practices
Relaxed atmosphere but a troubled corporate culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Hicksville, NYFebruary 5, 2018
The Sam Ash corporate office features a relaxed atmosphere, but perhaps too relaxed. A very casual dress code and hands-off management style does not make up for the absence of a formal review/raise process and a frustrating culture of limited communication and leadership. Earning a pay increase, even a cost of living increase, is laborious at best. Add one star if you're a musician. The benefits in that area are solid - working with and around music gear, plus decent discounts.
Pros
Very casual/no dress code. Hands-off managment style across the board.
Cons
No formal review or raise process. Poor corporate culture with limited communication and vision.
Slow and cut-throat
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 29, 2018
Hardly any traffic, especially with a competitor located directly behind Sam Ash. Harsh commission rates that leave employees seeking secondary employment.
Sucks
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 24, 2018
If you are innovative or at all into bringing things into the future, this is not the company for you. Constant pressure to beat sales with ZERO advertising (unless you're in NYC) and constant shut down of good and new ideas.
Great environment
Pro Audio/Tech Sales (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHJanuary 17, 2018
The management and coworkers are easy to get along with. Very competitive, but fun and driven environment. Learning about new products and sharing with the customers as the choose what to buy was a rewarding experience.
Difficult to compare one store to HQ...
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  NJJanuary 8, 2018
"Management" and "Job Culture" weren't rated because this may vary in stores, even within the same state. The management and culture at my store is great, but I've been to other stores and it looked like it was operated by a completely different entity. In my store I have a supportive, competent management and I think highly of all my coworkers in the various departments. Hours are very flexible. At my store level, it was all 5-stars.

As for the company... that is a separate matter. In the span of my several years, I have had only one chance for a promotion. Due to school-work complications, this opportunity came and went. More recently, when I asked for a raise in my hourly base (which is weighed against commission earned; it is not base plus commission pay) I was told "[The regional manager] says he does not have enough ammunition to seek approval for you." Being that my whole experience in the workforce has been dedicated to this company, I was deeply disturbed and profoundly insulted by this. My established customer rapport and diligent work meant nothing because sales numbers are everything to the corporate office. Working in a comparatively less-busy store weighs these odds of advancement incredibly against your favor. Furthermore, If your store isn't selling as much as another, you are held accountable for it. The attitude roughly goes: "No customers? No foot traffic? Well, we aren't going to pay for advertising, or for relocating your store to the newly vacant shopping center on the major highway 5 minutes from here while your decrepit building still stands, your
  more... staff just isn't turning over the garden enough."

All in all, at the store level, employment at a Sam Ash store can be rewarding. If you are a college student looking for a part time job, or a musician needing a job, it isn't all bad. It can be an insightful experience in the world of music business. Maybe I'm too pessimistic, and I just work in a great store with a poor location. If I were a professional audio associate in the Manhattan or Hollywood store I would have more positive notes. As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary."
Sales job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Huntington, NYJanuary 8, 2018
It's a competitive and sometimes harsh place to work with the focus always being on money. Management can be aggressive. And the pay does not counter balance the harsh attitudes.