Sam Houston State University Employee Reviews

Amazing work environment
Graduate Admissions Analyst I (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 19, 2019
SHSU is an amazing employer. They offer a lot of professional development and there are many opportunities for advancement. Everyone here has been easy to work with and the workplace culture is one of the best I've ever been in.
It real chill
Informal Recreational Staff (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 18, 2019
Its a real chill places to work. The management and coworkers are nice and easy to get long with. The job is fairly easy to do. Dealing with some people can make it stressful. Overall, its an okay job.
Fun place with productive leaders
Campus Caller (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 13, 2019
I worked as a campus caller so I would call alum to update their information and see if they would donate. Some people were very violent and aggressive and would curse you out. It was always best to follow protocol and be kind to them in return. Most would be kind first and help you out because they appreciated all the kind work Sam Houston did for them while they were here.
Student Worker
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 9, 2019
Depending on the job at SHSU, you can have a really great job that allows you to learn and gain experience from a professional environment. The only thing that is disappointing are the lack of hours and the small pay.
Great coworkers at the time, fulfilling work
Computer Technician (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJuly 8, 2019
I only worked at Sam Houston as a student for about four months as a Student Technician but it was extremely fulfilling and enjoyable. My supervisors at the time were incredibly helpful and supportive, and I got along great with all my coworkers.
You are teaching adults that behave like children
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 11, 2019
The age range is anywhere from 18 to 55+ who believe they deserve an A for a C or D quality work. There is not enough pay to deal with these people, but you have to or else you get fired.
Pros
4 hour work days, teaching skills
Cons
rude people, low pay, does not have any benefits
Great Job
Donor Record Specialist (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJune 3, 2019
Great place to work with great benefits regarding health and dental. I enjoyed working here. However, there are certain individuals that try to cause discord. Otherwise, I would recommend working for SHSU.
Good place to work with good supervisors
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 29, 2019
I worked at Sam Houston State University for two years. The supervision was good, and the day to day work life was acceptable. A typical day included assisting students with their math homework, and helping them to understand concepts that were more difficult to understand at first.
Good part-time student job
GEOPHYSICS RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 28, 2019
Working as a teaching assistant and research assistant gives valuable insight on possible career fields, as well as an in-depth look at what the jobs consist of. Teacher's were easy to get along with and helpful when needed.
Offers many opportunities
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMay 27, 2019
The faculty gave a lot of hands on training and prepared us for more advanced work environments. I personally worked under a research professor and got some hands on experience in her research. I may get published under her work.
No Adversity in the department
Custodian/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Lee Drain buildingApril 17, 2019
The management was horrible and very racist towards me as well as rude and disrespectful, i did not want to show up to work because of the racial displacement and disrespectful attitudes from the head boss all the way down. Very poor communication because no one spoke English!!!!
Pros
there was no pros to this job
Cons
Low Pay!!!
Overall fun place to work.
Intramural Sport Officiating Member (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 15, 2019
A typical day in the job included getting the field ready for the players. Informing the players of the rules and proper clothing attire. Each shift usually included a couple of managers and one supervisor. The hardest part of the job was making quick and accurate calls and not getting upset with players criticizing the calls you've made. This job was fun because I got to referee a sport I loved while exercising.
Pros
Exercise during the job, shifts go by quickly
Cons
Short breaks, only get certain rest periods
Learning and teaching
Teaching Assistant and Tutor (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXApril 6, 2019
I loved working at Sam but i knew it was only an option while i was in school. I loved learning and helping other to learn the concepts which would help them model the kind of equations they needed to solve on their homework and exams. I love the challenge that i get with that level of critical thinking.
Pros
The environment, staff, students, Mathematics, learning, ect
Cons
only available while in school.
Great School
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMarch 30, 2019
Sam Houston State University is an outstanding university for many reasons. To name a few: great professors, small classes, face-to-face encounters with professors, and a loyal student body. SHSU offers students an excellent education and a safe time in school.
Pros
Cheaper and good professors
Cons
Small school so less funding
Student
Student Body President (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMarch 25, 2019
I was a student at SHSU as well as an Active Member of Student Government. I enjoyed my time in both aspects.
Classes are small enough to get good facetime with Professors
Great place to work and grow.
SERVICE DESK TECHNICIAN (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMarch 19, 2019
SHSU is a great place to work and grow in your field. The management is smooth and make sure their employees are properly trained. The day to day becomes a routine that continues to test your customer service skills everyday.
Very detail oriented and also a team work enviornment
Recreations Facilities Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXMarch 16, 2019
We would meet at the front desk of the Lowman student Center and head upstairs to our boss' office where he would give us nightly set ups for various events that were to take place the next business day. we would set out to do this set ups along with maintenance of several rooms.
Data Operation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXFebruary 25, 2019
A good place to work and study. They have various programs for employee advancement. Workload can be busy then slows down at certain times but still manageable.
Great Place to Grow
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, TXFebruary 18, 2019
Sam Houston State University is not only a great university. It also provides a multitude of opportunities to allow to students to grow into a professional.
Good Part Time Work for Extra Cash
GRADUATE ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Huntsville, TXJanuary 28, 2019
It's a fun place to work but as a student the pay is not enough. Attending school and racking up debt is stressful enough but the fact that you can then be hired by the same university and then be offered little towards rent and other basic cost of lining expenses is ridiculous. Still, if you need a part time job and some extra cash, it could be worth it.
Pros
Free lunches, good schedule
Cons
poor pay