Samaritan Health Services Employee Reviews

Good but need stronger management
Manager (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 12, 2018
Overall, Samaritan can be a good place to work. They are one of the biggest employers in the Willamette Valley. I did enjoy my time here until the position is high enough to see the true nature behind the scenes. Fortunately, my management team was open and honest with all of us when they could be. You will find that many times information is privy and the organization can be very cliquish. Good benefits and the work culture is trying to change for the better.
Benefits
Cons
Work harder, not smarter
Corp Employee (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 19, 2019
Samaritan is an established organization in the community and a good employer to work for with great benefits. There’s opportunity to advance and change jobs. They've got a solid mission and I truly think employees care about their jobs, customers, and patients. It is pretty big with a lot of departments, so a lot of different managers who vary in effectiveness and impact on employee happiness. There seems to be an aversion to change and the culture seems formal and behind the times to me. For example, employee attire is more formal in many corporate departments and among leadership. And some benefits that are appealing in today’s culture and younger generations are lacking, like flexible schedules, job share, and work from home.
Management is way too hard on staff
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORDecember 3, 2018
a typical work day is super busy. I learned a lot, but it was mostly on the job. The hardest part of the job is when staff is overworked. The most enjoyable part is the people
Pros
Healthy life promotion, insurance, 401k, paid time off, people
Cons
Managers abusive of staff and backed by HR
Terrible Management!
MM (Former Employee) –  Lincoln CityDecember 19, 2018
My co workers where very two faced, I can't speak for the entire hospital, but my department was absolutely horrible.. Grown Women acting like high schoolers. My Manager was just as bad, he spoke and treated me like I was a kid. The training I received was terribly poor, the work I had to do was a over load while my co workers sat around and pretty much did nothing all day. The most worst job I've ever had in my life! After 6 months I quit, I was to the point I dreaded going to work. I regretted leaving a good job, a job where I was treated with respect. I thought working for NLSH would be a great opportunity for me, boy was I wrong!! Good news is, I have a new job, I love it, and I am treated with respect!
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Management, Pay
Not for me
Account Analyst, Regional Business Office (Former Employee) –  OregonSeptember 21, 2018
I really thought this would be a great job, tried several different positions. Pay was amazing low for what I did. Advancement was based on who knows who, not merit. Back biting and office politics were really bad. Worked a lot of overtime to make a living wage.
Pros
Health insurance
Cons
Everything else
Love the patients and family
Certified Home Health Aide (CHHA) (Current Employee) –  Marlton, NJAugust 7, 2018
Everyone is friendly and helpful I love working for this company. I also like to interact with the patients and their family. Everyone in the office always wear a smile.
Pros
Christmas bonus
Cons
No raises
Not a fun place to work
Dma (Current Employee) –  Lebanon, ORJanuary 24, 2019
Always understaffed, lazy employes,most employees through out have bad attitudes.its just not a fun place to work I did like going to work but soon after people were quiting and very short handed
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Bad pay
Great Job / Pay could be better
Medical Office Receptionist/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, ORJanuary 29, 2019
When I first started, Samaritan had not taken over. Staff was paid according to the cost of living in the location that they lived. Once Samaritan took over, they made it so that each position paid the same regardless of the cost of living. It is a good place to work, but the pay is not very good. Has great benefits though.
Pros
Pleasant environment
Cons
Poor pay
Productive and Fun
Senior Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 4, 2018
SHS is a smaller community home grown company. It is well known in our community. Growth is available. PMO needs some maturing. Not clear direction from PMO management or IS.
Fun place to work! Very friendly & nice environment
Environmental Services (Former Employee) –  Ashland, OHJune 9, 2018
A 24 hr service. Always on your toes! Usually busy all day (8hr) work day. Be willing to left and pull a lot of equipment. Management is very understanding and will work with you.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Short breaks

Want to know more about Samaritan Health Services?

Ask a question
Fast paced with excellant team and managers
Radiology Secretary (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 6, 2018
Working in the Radiology department As a Department Secretary is challenging, fast paced but very rewarding . Co workers are helpful and plesant. Ive experienced no cattiness or problems in the short five months I have been there. Managers are helpful and honest .
I am only a casual but hope to obtain part time sooner than later.
The only issue I found is that you cannot apply elsewhere in the hospital for a year after hire so it really locks you into one department if you have been hired as per diem (casual) and you are in need of more hours and benefits. I hope this is workable wit the HR dept.
That being said in over 30 years of working, this hospital has a fantastic working atmosphere re: culture. And great dedicated staff! Love it
Pros
Fantastic teamwork and management
intense with high expectations
Hospital Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WASeptember 7, 2018
Production requirements are high with very little management support. Documentation requirements exceeds what in appropriate and necessary. The peer staff were supportive and fun to work with on a daily basis.
Pros
good pay and excellet and supportive peers
Cons
management is not supportive of staff
Great not for profit
Account Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 17, 2018
I preferred my time in the clinic and not in the regional business office. I grew more in the last year with Samaritan than I did the 2 years prior to my time in a clinic setting. Management in the clinic was phenomenal! Management in the business office needed to be vetted better.
Pros
awesome team. Its like a family in the clinic where I worked.
Liked the job, not so much the co-worker treatment.
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORSeptember 7, 2018
I truly enjoyed working at SHS Regional medical center for the hospital environment. The management team fell far short of expectations. Basic tenets of professional behavior and treatment of co-workers was not adhered to in the slightest way.
Cutthroat pharmacy
Clinical Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORMarch 7, 2018
As a pharmacist the clinical work is top notch. Working with Docs and Nurses is great and Pharmacists have many opportunities to make clinical interventions.

However - Management does not support staff, reviews are done by email - no manager ever meets with a staff member to discuss career plans or goals. Micro-managment and department squabbles are the norm.

The hardest part of the job is surviving the workplace culture, the high staff turnover/shortages, and the expectation to work > 7 days in a row on a regular basis.
Pros
healthcare and PTO
Cons
low moral, micro-management, no opportunity for growth or advancement
I respected and enjoyed my workplace, team involvement and opportunities I was given.,
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Albany, ORMay 7, 2018
My position with Samaritan would have been my desired position until I retired had it not been for a family situation that needed my time and devotion. Management always did their best to solve situations and improve to the best for everyone. Employees I have been involved with remain very dear friends and family like in most cases. We always had a great team to work with on a daily basis.
Pros
Samaritan offers great benefits for family or single individuals, They have and offer excellent training and continued education. Which I am a huge fan of.
Not a nice place to work
Nurse Educator (Current Employee) –  Corvallis, ORApril 13, 2018
Management looks for reasons to write staff up and fire. Don’t feel supported at all. Didn’t used to be that way 10-15 years ago. It is a hostile work environment and would not recommend to others as a nice place to work.
Benefits
Cons
Poor management
Stressful, fast-paced
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, ORNovember 17, 2018
While I enjoyed my manager, sometimes I saw workers not pulling their weight, i.e. not doing their job, and they were allowed to slack on the job without reprimand or consequence. Also, many of the hospital employees were just unfriendly—they could actually look right through me if I greeted them. I should note that there were many very kind employees also!! Many of the jobs that are required to do in the kitchen are very rushed, and it always seemed like one more employee would have made all the difference between stressed and only very busy. Samaritan Health has a fabulous idea of how they want to operate, it just hasn’t happened as yet. Best of luck to anyone who accepts a position!
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Hired as a casual(16-24hrsweek), worked 32-40/week
Competitive and Dramatic
DOCUMENT MANAGEMENT CLERK (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, ORJanuary 3, 2018
Monotonous clerical job with a micro-manager and coworkers that thrived on drama. The company works you into the ground and you won't see a raise other than the required "cost of living 2%"
Loved the job
Credentialing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Corvallis, OROctober 17, 2018
Concentrated experience with supplier enrollments for Medicare part A, Medicare part B, and Medicaid as well as commercial payers. Was their for 10 years.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Samaritan Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.7InHerSight Score

3.6Personal Development

4.3Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight