Samaritas Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
fun
Behavioral Consultant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMay 3, 2018
great company. cares for people. great company whom cares for their clients and always thinks about their client when it comes to what services they provide and how they provide them.
Supportive Management in Family Preservation
Families First Worker (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 2, 2018
Great experience with support from management. Good job to gain experience with social work. Would recommend to anyone first beginning in the field.
Great Place
Direct Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 23, 2018
I worked with young teenage girls that had no normal family structure. Some were abandoned others abused. It was very difficult sometimes to listen to there stories
April 25, 2018

Thank you so much for your insight/review while you worked with the program. It truly is one of the toughest jobs you will love.

Midland horrible
Direct Support Staff (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIApril 19, 2018
This company in Midland is a joke ...who can't service and provide for there clients ..who randomly pull people from a home to place else where and not fill the spots that are left open..who blames others for the lack of work efforts preformed by the staff..staff is lazy. Office staff even worse ..this company would be better off firing all.managment and replacing them..I would never ever recommend this company to anyone ..stay clear
Cons
Poor staff..poor management ..
April 25, 2018

Thank you for your comments and review. We are always looking for additional ways we can provide our managers training and feedback opportunities. We also have in place a HR Business Partner and a Compliance Manager/hotline for our employees to utilize to assist our employees to work through situations that may arise within our programs.

High turn around, especially management
Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 16, 2018
Would be a great place to work, love the people I worked with. Problem is the new micro-manager, simply toxic. Enjoyed my job until this manager came along. Nobody needs to work for someone like this, not worth it.
April 25, 2018

Thank you for your feedback. Please reach out to your HR Business Partner as we are always looking for ways we can provide additional training/feedback with our managers.

Fun to be able to help elders, but very scary management
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIApril 12, 2018
Working in the nursing home is very stressful. Some resident
has dementia and they will lye on you and the management will believe them against you. Example: They can put their item in a trash, then say that you still form then or reuse the shower, then complain in next cable hours that you refuse to give them shower. Even those, I enjoyed working with some CNA and Nurses.
Pros
Free monthly lunch ticket
Cons
obligate to take break, but some day I could not because I was very busy with showers.
April 25, 2018

Thank you for your feedback as we are always looking for ways that we can improve and provide our leaders more learning and feedback opportunities. We agree that helping elders can be very fun and rewarding.

It's an Amazing Stepping Stone
Home Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  West Bloomfield Township, MIMarch 28, 2018
I have been with the company for 3 years and I am still with the company. I got started in healthcare with this job and it's has been a wonderful job. I enjoy my job completely and even though there are ups and downs, I would recommend this job to my friends and family.
Pros
Flexible working hours, client-to-client bases
Cons
No PTO, hours could be cut unexpectedly
April 2, 2018

Thank you for your insight in working with Samaritas. The work that you provide to clients is invaluable to them and to Samaritas.

Quick pace
Licensing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jackson, MIMarch 4, 2018
Write reports, conduct interviews, and help families through the agency policies. The hardest part of the job is not finding children a home or safe place to live.
Pros
Great supervisor
March 5, 2018

Thank you for your insight into the position and challenge.

productive work place
Resident Aide (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIMarch 1, 2018
Very productive environment. Typically caring for 8-10 residents assisting with daily cares such as dressing, or showering. From this position you learn how to be patient, you also learn a lot from those you are caring for.
March 5, 2018

Thank you for sharing your insight into the Resident Aide role. We know it can be a very challenging and yet rewarding role.

Changing for the better- great place to work again
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MIFebruary 1, 2018
Samaritas Cadillac has made so many great changes in the past 5 months - including new administrator and nursing administrative team. These managers help the staff and are always available to speak with. It's nice to have a manager I can approach and not one who hides behind a door. Coworkers are friendly and helpful. 12 hour shifts are great, because I can pick up extra hours and still have time with my family and friends. My favorite part of the job is that like me - my coworkers always put residents first. It's a fun place to work - you couldn't ask for a friendlier team to work with, we all help each other out and really are a big family.

Great benefits - 4 weeks vacation every year. Vision plan is absolutely the best hands down. I can get Life Insurance not only for myself, but my whole family. They also have several employee discounts with different businesses that they offer
Pros
Best Coworkers; New Managers are Super; Benefits; 12 hour shifts
Cons
Still a lot of overtime
March 1, 2018

That is fantastic to hear and really glad our emphasis of leadership building relationships with staff is paying off.

Overall, okay.
Foster Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MIJanuary 16, 2018
Work life balance is not good, but direct management is pretty good. Turn over is constant and you're often loaded with work. Compensation is better than comparable jobs in the field but is still not enough to make it worthwhile. Definitely stressful, but helps if you have good coworkers.
January 29, 2018

Thank you for your comments. We continue to look for ways that can help during times of turnover. Currently competition from other industries and organizations are all scrambling for the same pool of applicants.

not for everybody
Foster care case manager (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 9, 2018
Job is stressful and court makes it even worse. Difficult to separate from job. Not paid when on call or to carry work cell phone. Travel to locations is in own personal vehicle and causes issues at times. Has a flexible work environment. Supervision is supportive. Love the company but work is stressful.
March 9, 2018

Thank you for your comments. We recognize this line of work can for sure be stressful at times. Please feel free to discuss your feelings with her immediate supervisor and/or Human Resource Business Partner for work life balance ideas and the structure of the role.

fast paced
Employee (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJanuary 8, 2018
They have very long hours, stressful, fast paced.Time off is hard to get.You will have no time for family only time for work. Management is constantly changing.Say one thing do another.

Comment – January 9, 2018

It would be great if the issues were addressed with human resources. but i believe that is your first downfall. issues don't get addressed , instead you get targeted. when you bring up and issue you can tell from that point on you wear a shirt with a target on your back.

January 29, 2018

Samaritas is committed to a workplace free of retaliation. We have an internal problem resolution procedure as a forum for employees to bring concerns forward and if any employee does not feel that their concerns are being address or believes they have been subject to retaliation based on bringing a complaint forward, we have the Corporate Compliance number at 800-572-9565 where employees can report instances without fear of retribution. Samaritas strives to ensure that all behavior and activity is consistent with our Code of Conduct.

Management doesn't care
Youth Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIDecember 16, 2017
Samaritas does amazing life changing things for refugees, but their lack of communication, disorganization, and convenience promotions prove that they do not care to put in more than the minimal effort required.
Pros
you change lives
Cons
no breaks, ridiculous hours, gossip, lack of regard for employees.
Review of Review
Youth Residential Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MINovember 29, 2017
So Samaritas decided to reply to my review, that's very awesome of them, yet let me remind you all that you all have a high turnover for a reason substantially due to your unwavering non-support of your employees when your residents or clients become more credible than those you employ. You let your supervisors and team leaders work your employees over and still yet even with the advancement of ones work flow isn't susceptible to advancement, there should none the less be no type of ceiling to measure the work we invaluably do in name of clients and residents that you intake.
Pros
Good Experience
Cons
Management Internal Issues
March 1, 2018

Thank you for your comments and experience. Employees are encouraged to reach out to their Human Resource Business Partner when they feel their concerns are not being addressed by their immediate supervisor. Likewise Samaritas employs a Corporate Compliance Manager as well with a confidential number to call if employees feel that business is not being conducted appropriately.

Good experience
Direct Youth Support Worker (Current Employee) –  MichiganNovember 27, 2017
Management is poor. Things are always changing, not much security. Lots of staff leave. Unfair wages, lied to about guarenteed hours. Not paid for all time clocked.
Pros
Good experience in social work/foster care
Cons
Poor leadership, un fair wages for job we do
December 5, 2017

We recognize that as a non-profit, our compensation is not always in the top percentile among our competitors. Many of our wages are tied to particular contracts as well on the state and federal level so it becomes challenging to be competitive across all of our program areas.

You have provided some great insight and if you have not discussed your concerns with your Human Resource Business Partner, we hope that you will.

Good
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MINovember 26, 2017
It is a good place to start to work. Some of the manager is nice but some doesn't care much about much about new employees. Can be a little overwhelming.
Stressful
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Muskegon, MINovember 14, 2017
I've been working here 6 months now. It's short staffed,the manager says what she thinks you want to hear. The pay sucks!!! For all the work and care we provide,the pay needs to be increased!!
Pros
The Residents
Cons
Pay and short staffed
This place is very stressful but you can get hours.
Dietary Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cadillac, MINovember 8, 2017
I work here currently and it has been quite a ride. I have only worked at samartias for four months and I was already exceptionally burnt out. This is a good area of work if one feels like not having a life or wants money.
Pros
A lot of hours
Cons
No breaks, the work is not spread evenly, expect to be called in at every opportunity.
Focus has shifted too far away from mission
Employee (Former Employee) –  MichiganNovember 4, 2017
Clients and co-workers were amazing and were the main reason for working at this company. Top level management too disorganized, difficult to please, no matter what you are able to accomplish it is never enough, backstabbing was encouraged and rewarded. Some top management get substantial perks while front line staff has to be concerned about having positions eliminated during budget cuts. It used to be much more faith-based in actions and practice than it is now and may be why they are struggling.
Pros
Clients, coworkers
Cons
not managed well at the corporate level.