Samaritas Employee Reviews for Care Worker

fun work place
Foster Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 11, 2018
good place to work, it's fast-paced, and a lot to learn. I require a lot of time and patience I would not recommend working here if you are in school, but overall it's a good job
September 24, 2018

Thank you for your unique insight.....we continue to look for ways of improvement as we strive to become an Employer of Choice.

Very difficult job with lack of support from management.
Foster Care Worker II (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIJuly 10, 2018
Foster care is a very difficult job that requires long hours and hard work. Management does not take care of their workers. You get unlimited paid time off, however, you do not get to use it unless your supervisor approves. The job is salary so you do not get paid the extra hours you work (20+ hours per week). The company states they will give you flex time to flex out normal work hours for the hours you worked over, however, again your supervisor has to approve this. If you have assignments that are due your supervisor will not approve flex or paid time off. In foster care you will ALWAYS have things due. The to do list is never ending and there are many responsibilities to fulfill each month. If you do not have the passion for this work do not apply. If you want to spend time with your family do not apply.
Pros
Working with families that need help/making a difference.
Cons
Underpaid, lack of support, long hours, On Call duties.
July 16, 2018

We recognize Foster Care is difficult work and we are always looking for ways that we can provide our employees a greater work life balance. Please reach out to your Human Resource Business Partner and give him the opportunity to listen to your concerns in hopes of being able to try to find a balance between the work at hand as well as family needs.

Overall, okay.
Foster Care Worker (Current Employee) –  Port Huron, MIJanuary 16, 2018
Work life balance is not good, but direct management is pretty good. Turn over is constant and you're often loaded with work. Compensation is better than comparable jobs in the field but is still not enough to make it worthwhile. Definitely stressful, but helps if you have good coworkers.
January 29, 2018

Thank you for your comments. We continue to look for ways that can help during times of turnover. Currently competition from other industries and organizations are all scrambling for the same pool of applicants.

Poor managment
Foster Care Worker II (Current Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIOctober 26, 2017
Turn over is incredibly high due to poor management, unfair treatment and high expatiation of more than 40 hours a week in a salary position. Workers are under appreciated for long hours and statistics are only thing counted for job performance, not face to face work with clients or your ability to deal with crisis.
Pros
fair benifits
Cons
long hours, unfair treatment, poor managment
February 5, 2018

Shady financially
foster care worker (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIApril 30, 2015
I accepted a job with this agency because the person I interviewed with seemed caring, ethical and she assured me that though this is a faith based organization, it does not overpower the work we do.

The cases are not assigned fairly. One person may have cases all over the State while another has them all in the same area. Don't expect to be able to take time off if you have anything due in the next 2-3 weeks. When you leave they don't pay your final paycheck though they hold one when you start. They don't pay contract workers either. They make you pray before staff events.

The only saving grace was the staff. The foster care and licensing workers are some of the nicest people. If only management followed their lead.
Pros
Line staff
Cons
faith based, management, pay