SAMSON RESOURCES Employee Reviews

Relaxed Environment
QA Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXNovember 1, 2017
Samson Resources is a great place to work. The people are friendly and management is fair. The company is very ethical and generous. The company does care about the environment.
Pros
Taco Tuesday
Great Company to Work For
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 19, 2017
The culture, benefits and salary are great. I left because there was a revolving door of management and my most recent manager was not kind. Otherwise, I loved working for the company. She's no longer there. Wish I would have hung in there! :)
Pros
Culture, benefits, salary
Cons
Favoritism
productive and fun place to work
Home Improvement Contractor (Current Employee) –  East Stroudsburg, PAJuly 13, 2017
great company to work for, management is respectful, family oriented diverse and excellent training methods. great great place travel new assignments weekly great customers service.
Pros
new assignment weekly
Cons
seasonal
Very good place to work
Petroleum Engineer Summer Internship (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 20, 2017
The company is extremely friendly and outgoing. They have flexible hours and casual Friday's in which you are able to wear jeans and a company shirt. They value their employees a lot.
Superintendent
Drilling Field Superintendent (Former Employee) –  oklaJune 6, 2017
Samson was a very stressful place to work, Probably the most stress I have ever had, Drilling supt. drank to much at night and would give you drunk calls just to eat your butt out
Pros
pay
Cons
stress
Challenging and ever changing organization
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 30, 2017
Samson offers employees lots of responsibility and opportunity for personal development but it has had a rough road with decreased commodity prices and CH 11 bankruptcy has left the organization with new ownership that is shifting the direction of the company. Hopefully that pays off in the long run.
Pros
Nice Benefits
Energy technical writer
Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 19, 2017
Loved this job, but the company filed for bankruptcy only a few months after I was hired. Declining oil and gas prices meant I was one of many who were laid off. Sad.
This is pre-KKR rating
Division Order Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 23, 2017
-On site gym & locker rooms
-Heavily subsidized BCBS health insurance
-Free oatmeal & Java Dave's coffee
-$0.25 soda, fresh fruit/vegetables and bottled water
-Flex work schedule (5x8, 4x9 & 1x4, 4x8.5 & 1x6)
-Education Reimbursement
-Community involved, volunteerism positive
Pros
See above
Cons
See above
Good Work Environment. Valued Employees
Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKFebruary 27, 2017
Samson Resources was a great place to learn the fundamentals of Oil & Gas. Great work environment. Smart, motivated employees.
Pros
Great Staff
Cons
Financial Difficulties
Insecure, but fun place to work
Systems Ops Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 19, 2017
I really enjoyed my job at Samson. I enjoyed the people I worked with on a day to day basis, but sometimes I did not agree with the direction of the company. All in all I really enjoyed my job, but after 3 different layoff over 3 years, job security was non existent.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Job security
Unstable Company
Division Order Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 4, 2017
I enjoyed my work, and my immediate management and co-workers were very friendly, and team oriented. They were generous with training, and I was able to branch-out of my standard job responsibilities and assist with new projects. However, this company is now unstable.
Pros
Training, Friendly Work Environment
Cons
Unstable
Bankrupt-not many positives
Land Administration Tech (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKDecember 27, 2016
Great people and a great work environment, however, the company is currently going through Chapter 11bankruptcy leaving doubts about the outcome of company.
Well functioning but monotonous
Strategic Sourcing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 16, 2016
Well functioning but monotonous. Daily functions were more about spread sheets than planning and analyzing. Just your typical 9 to 5.
Formerly a great company, now facing a tough industry
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 2, 2016
Was a great company that offered the opportunity to learn the E&P industry if you wanted to work hard. After being acquired, and oil and gas prices falling, new management was in a position that made it almost impossible for them to lead a recovery. Now, there has been so much change and turnover, the old company and culture are no more. Employees and management are still hard working, nice people, but the company is in a poor position to overcome its financial challenges given the long downturn in the industry.
Pros
Great people, used to be unbelievable benefits
Cons
Industry headwinds, owners are now investors with no history with the company
Encourages Autonomy and encourages new solutions to everyday problems
Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Denver, COMay 25, 2016
I worked on new problems often I was asked to create a failure tracking system that saved the company about $50,000 per month. This new tool came from my analyst background and used a proactive method for solving failures for rod pump wells. It was a fun and challenging problem to take on.
Company filed bankruptcy - layoffs
Senior Geological Technician (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 19, 2016
Massive Oil and gas layoffs due to downturn in the oil and gas industry. Company is in the bankruptcy process and selling all assets.
Relaxed, engaging corporate culture
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 12, 2016
The main responsibilities of a Joint Interest Staff Accountant is to review and post journal entries for accounts payable. I was also assigned specific general ledger accounts and month end closing reports.
Pros
Flex Time
Cons
Bankruptcy
Excellent place to work when industry is thriving
Telecommunications Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 30, 2016
When Oil and Gas Industry was thriving this was an excellent place to work.
Typical day I worked with employees managing and helping them with their various cellular devices. Ranging from iPhone/iPad to computers, servers and machine to machine devices.
I worked with carriers for proper plans on each device, managing over 1300 cellular lines of service.
Reviewed monthly invoices for proper charges.
Pros
Excellent Bennefits, work enviroment
Cons
Layoffs
Great People
Revenue Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 16, 2016
I worked with great people at Samson Resources. Working a flex schedule was great. I was able to leave work at 12 on Fridays!
Pros
group lunches and flex hours
Cons
job security
Great place to work, bad financial decisions
Supervisor, Network and Data Communications (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OK 74103March 15, 2016
Great place to work but company was highly leveraged by management and was very sensitive to commodity pricing and the oil and gas market in general. My co-workers were awesome. Too bad this company had to file for bankruptcy or I would probably still be working there. Just bad times in the Oil market but a great company to work for. Personally, I hope they recover and hire me back. The hardest part of the job was living in the no money to do anything environment and being forced to "coast" instead of advancing forward.