Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Good for Staff, Terrible as as a Contractor
Research (Former Employee) –  SNL NMMarch 8, 2019
I do not recommend working for Sandia as a contractor. I was recently with Sandia National Laboratories as a contractor and had an absolutely terrible time. This was my second time there as a contractor and I have learned to not do that again. I am certain if I was hired as staff my experience would be very different.

There is some subtle discrimination that happens at Sandia Laboratories that very much exists. It is a White Male employer, point blank. Some people are not comfortable working with women or people of color or have odd ideas about them. Some departments are better with this than others.
na
Material Handler Technician (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAMarch 3, 2019
All around great work environment. Typical day had its highs and lows as far as pace. The people are friendly everywhere you go..Plenty of training available.
Good work environment with strong areas of scientific research
Principal Member of Technical Staff (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM and Livermore, CAMarch 1, 2019
My work environment was rather ideal as I was a principal investigator with my own laboratory pursuing my own proposed research. For many years the funding was excellent and research was robust with multiple external collaborations established nationally and internationally. However, management recently changed and the focus moved away from my area of interest. Overall, Sandia was a great place to work for with brilliant colleagues who were not only excellent collaborators but also fantastic people. Work-life balance is something that they always strive to improve upon so it is a great place to work.
Great place to work depending on your job
Custodian Worker (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 27, 2019
Great place to work! They will assist you in furthering your career with training or classes. Great benefits, insurance, healthcare and no discrimination on all levels.
Pros
Great insurance and benefits
Cons
Depending on job, can be very stressful
Snl
VEHICLE FLEET ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 21, 2019
It was a fantastic place to work. It challenged me to learn new things and be a part of something that assisted in national and international interests
Overall a good place to work at
Training, Generalist & LSS Black Belt (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJanuary 3, 2019
Most places have their own challenges...promotion, pay, work to life balance, etc. But overall, Sandia was 4 out of 5 on this for the most part. If you got under a bad manager you could find another job after a limited time there because there is a great deal of mobility that is accepted there.

Benefits are good for vacation and time off, but medical is same as outside at other companies...costs a pretty penny. The culture for the most part is positive, with some bad eggs here and there. I worked for Sandia for 13 years and I would say only 3 of those years did I have super challenging interpersonal encounters which were all worked through but not fun. Otherwise, it was good with most people wanting to team, execute their job well, and impact the Nation. So many of the capabilities of Sandia are on the nightly news of what we do to protect and keep our nation safe. I was proud to work there and had a decent work to life balance. I miss it after having to relocate, but would go back for sure if I move to a location Sandia is at. It's not perfect, but it was better than most and I enjoyed the people and purpose.
Pros
Work to life balance, teaming, highly intelligent, National Impact, Vacation
Cons
Medical Insurance, bureaucracy, politics
Sandia Review
Software Developer Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 20, 2018
Working at Sandia provided a great experience and helped me learn. I only worked there for 3 months as an intern so my experience was short but it was a great experience.
Good place to work, great pay and benefits
HR Lead (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 20, 2018
When I worked there it was run by Lockheed Martin and it has changed to Honeywell. Can't speak to what is going on today but when I was there the managers lacked good training
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
managers need better training
Sandia National Labs
Sr. Radiological Control Technologist (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 16, 2018
Excellent work-life balance. Great opportunity to grow within the company. Management is very supportive of developing ones educational and career goals. Amazing place to work.
If you have another job option, consider it.
R&D Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 27, 2018
In this group, even the tiniest decisions are consolidated at the top. This position saps my creativity and is extremely demotivating. Good ideas are not considered good, unless they come from the top. To date, four projects have been cancelled, and I have spent much time, effort, late nights, and your taxpayer dollars on them. Sandia is a culture of responsibility, without authority.

Sandia would be more efficient with a 20% reduction in non-technical staff. From my perspective, there are 3 managers for every engineer doing the work. The non-Technical staff invent unnecessary paperwork to justify their position.
Pros
Offices with Doors
Cons
The large dichotomy of the people that produce, and the people that watch them produce.
Productive work environment with good people
Research and Development Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 14, 2018
Day at work: varies day to day with what responsibilities need to be completed, no two days are the same.
Learned: I taught myself various engineering software packages. I developed the skills to complete a full novel engineering design process.
Management: The best bosses I've had. Knowledgeable and understanding with life's hardships.
Work Place Culture: A relatively young and progressive culture that pushes living happy and healthy lifestyles. There is an emphasis on workplace balance.
Pros
Free food periodically, flexibility
R&D Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 12, 2018
Full of intelligent driven people. Tremendous opportunity to do interesting work in the national interest. Sandia is a great place for both interns and for a career.
Pros
9/80 schedule
Extremely great place to work. All employees are very kind, humble, and helpful. Great pay and benefits
Year-Round Internship (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 10, 2018
Extremely great place to work. All employees are very kind, humble, and will go out of their way to help you with anything. Great pay and benefits are a huge bonus but the culture alone makes it a place to work until retirement. There is always opportunity for advancement as well as lateral movement throughout the company.
Pros
Cons
Traffic in and out of the air force base.
this is a good place to work
senior HVAC Tech (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 6, 2018
things here are good and it is a nice place to work the people are great the location is great and you will get 40 hours a week. work some weekends and some holidays.
Workplace
Intern Org 10742 (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 29, 2018
Great workplace environment focus on teaming to provide mission success. Work/life balance was excellent. Benefits for full time employees are really great.
Accommodating Atmosphere
CAD Designer, Senior Level (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 22, 2018
My experience was a relaxed workplace environment with project realization teams I really got along well with. I don't suspect this is going to be 100% the case for everyone, I feel like I got lucky.
Pros
Good, competitive pay
Cons
Educational benefits were diminished
A GREAT place to have had a career.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 17, 2018
I loved working at Sandia Labs from the beginning until retirement. I enjoyed every milestone of my career and took every advantage they offered to advance in position and salary. I look back on my years at Sandia with great pride and I still am very proud of what is being accomplished there. It is truly the “crown jewel” of the national laboratories.
Pros
Opportunities to advance, self-satisfaction, and pride of work were all prevalent.
Cons
I would have to make something up to produce a valid “con .”
Change at Sandia
Member of the Technical Staff (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 14, 2018
Sandia continues its decade-long trend of drawing down employee benefits. These benefits gave Sandia its reputation of strong work/life balance and compensated for market-average wages.

Reductions include now requiring 5 hours of unpaid overtime before flex time can be earned as well as a cap on total hours accrued in a given period. Yearly non-base (bonus) payments have been purportedly cut in half, resulting in an across-the-board cuts in pay for staff and management. Efforts to increase the differential pay for employees working in areas with a high cost of living have stalled. Currently salaries in these areas lag GSA locality pay differentials.

Sandia continues to utilize an unpopular forced-distribution performance review system at the department level, despite claims from executive management that quotas would no longer be used. This results in cynicism and a perception that upper management is either untruthful or disengaged.

Decreasing benefits and average wages in a competitive market have lead to the elimination of GPA requirements at Sandia, once billed as hiring only the “best and brightest.”

On the positive, Sandia provides diverse, rewarding careers in support of national security. Due to stable funding, job security is high and layoffs are unheard of. Part of the corporate culture includes allowing employees to move around within the lab, exploring new career opportunities.
Pros
Job stability, ability to reinvent career
Cons
Average salaries, small bonuses, no stock options, poor vision care, forced ranking
Pros and Cons
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 1, 2018
I like Job work/life balance and compensation and benefits.
I don't like the workplace culture such as not enough learning opportunities, too result oriented.
I cannot comment honestly because of contractual obligations.
customer service, teaming (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 25, 2018
I worked for 30 years in the environmental documentation field, became a NEPA Specialist, and now I am seeking gainful employment. Diversity is only encouraged if your professional opinions are within corporate tolerance.
Pros
Supported my family.
Cons
Ageism. Sexism. Scientific arrogance.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.8Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Sandia National Laboratories Reviews by Location