Sandia National Laboratories Employee Reviews

Productive work environment with good people
Research and Development Engineering Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 14, 2018
Day at work: varies day to day with what responsibilities need to be completed, no two days are the same.
Learned: I taught myself various engineering software packages. I developed the skills to complete a full novel engineering design process.
Management: The best bosses I've had. Knowledgeable and understanding with life's hardships.
Work Place Culture: A relatively young and progressive culture that pushes living happy and healthy lifestyles. There is an emphasis on workplace balance.
Pros
Free food periodically, flexibility
Extremely great place to work. All employees are very kind, humble, and helpful. Great pay and benefits
Year-Round Internship (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 10, 2018
Extremely great place to work. All employees are very kind, humble, and will go out of their way to help you with anything. Great pay and benefits are a huge bonus but the culture alone makes it a place to work until retirement. There is always opportunity for advancement as well as lateral movement throughout the company.
Pros
Cons
Traffic in and out of the air force base.
If you have another job option, consider it.
R&D Electrical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 27, 2018
In this group, even the tiniest decisions are consolidated at the top. This position saps my creativity and is extremely demotivating. Good ideas are not considered good, unless they come from the top. To date, four projects have been cancelled, and I have spent much time, effort, late nights, and your taxpayer dollars on them. Sandia is a culture of responsibility, without authority.

Sandia would be more efficient with a 20% reduction in non-technical staff. From my perspective, there are 3 managers for every engineer doing the work. The non-Technical staff invent unnecessary paperwork to justify their position.
Pros
Offices with Doors
Cons
The large dichotomy of the people that produce, and the people that watch them produce.
A GREAT place to have had a career.
Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 17, 2018
I loved working at Sandia Labs from the beginning until retirement. I enjoyed every milestone of my career and took every advantage they offered to advance in position and salary. I look back on my years at Sandia with great pride and I still am very proud of what is being accomplished there. It is truly the “crown jewel” of the national laboratories.
Pros
Opportunities to advance, self-satisfaction, and pride of work were all prevalent.
Cons
I would have to make something up to produce a valid “con .”
I cannot comment honestly because of contractual obligations.
customer service, teaming (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMSeptember 25, 2018
I worked for 30 years in the environmental documentation field, became a NEPA Specialist, and now I am seeking gainful employment. Diversity is only encouraged if your professional opinions are within corporate tolerance.
Pros
Supported my family.
Cons
Ageism. Sexism. Scientific arrogance.
Accommodating Atmosphere
CAD Designer, Senior Level (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 22, 2018
My experience was a relaxed workplace environment with project realization teams I really got along well with. I don't suspect this is going to be 100% the case for everyone, I feel like I got lucky.
Pros
Good, competitive pay
Cons
Educational benefits were diminished
Fantastic, flexible place to work
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAAugust 13, 2018
At Sandia, there are job opportunities for nearly any academic pursuit. Compensation and benefits are great. Management is promoted from researchers, creating a good interface for communication. Work/life balance is a priority for the company.
Fast-Paced but Supportive
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 9, 2018
Working as an intern at Sandia was a great learning experience where you get exposure to some of the top researchers in the world. Your mentor will have a bit impact on how much you work and how much you get out of it. I was pushed pretty hard and consequently learned a lot.
R&D Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMNovember 12, 2018
Full of intelligent driven people. Tremendous opportunity to do interesting work in the national interest. Sandia is a great place for both interns and for a career.
Pros
9/80 schedule
Would have been great if I knew what I was doing.
SIP Technical Undergrad Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 10, 2018
My main issue with the job is that I was under qualified for the job. I was studied mechanical engineering at the time and the job required knowledge about quantum physics. It was mostly gibberish to me.
this is a good place to work
senior HVAC Tech (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CANovember 6, 2018
things here are good and it is a nice place to work the people are great the location is great and you will get 40 hours a week. work some weekends and some holidays.
Fun work place
Business Student Intern (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMJuly 20, 2018
It was very beneficial for me to work at SNL, it had a lot of opportunities for growth and I learned a lot. I am grateful I was able to be an intern for four years and work around my class schedule.
Pros
Growth opportunities
Fantastic Place with tons of Interesting People
Research Intern (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 17, 2018
Sandia is a wonderful place with a lot of scientists and researchers of varied backgrounds. HR was a little slow... Hiring process and exiting process is dreadful, but it is a great place to work with tons of resources. Great nature around it. Albuquerque is a dump though, central atleast...
Productive and interesting but lack of career development
Federal Contractor (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJuly 9, 2018
Great coworkers, great management, interesting projects but limited advancement track with no clear path defined for promotions. also limited pay with difficulty getting raises
Workplace
Intern Org 10742 (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 29, 2018
Great workplace environment focus on teaming to provide mission success. Work/life balance was excellent. Benefits for full time employees are really great.
Pros and Cons
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMOctober 1, 2018
I like Job work/life balance and compensation and benefits.
I don't like the workplace culture such as not enough learning opportunities, too result oriented.
It was a decent job
Principal Research and Development Engineer (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 25, 2018
My only complaint is that the lab allowed too much autonomy and waits until it is too late to reel in the staff. Staff goals were sometimes to vague and senior leadership was lacking significantly.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Lack of Leadership
great work, great people
Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) –  Livermore, CAJune 7, 2018
I love what I do and who I work for. The work ethic of the employees at Sandia National Laboratories is different than typical industry. The 9/80 and 4/10 work schedule options enhance work/life balance.
Very Poor Management
Solutions Architect (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 19, 2018
Run. Don't get lured into this low quality of life company and job. The managers are the worst, play favorites and a good ole boy system. So if you are a white, Christian, Male with no ethics this company is for you. If not there is very little diversity and you'll struggle with the white male culture.
Pros
Use to have a Pension--but that is gone for new employees
Cons
OFFICE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMMay 19, 2018
This company gave me the best experience. I truly enjoyed the job. The people and the work are truly wonderful. If I didn’t have to relocate I never would have left.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sandia National Laboratories. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3

Ratings from women

3.3InHerSight Score

3.2Personal Development

2.9Career Opportunities

3.9Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight