Sanford Health Employee Reviews

greedy employer
RN (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 26, 2018
this company is all about money. They will delay even a tiny $1.25 raise that they promised you until the last possible moment and come up with all kind of excuses. They will delay changing your schedule to the one you asked because all they care is their budget. But when it comes to making you work when and how the company wants, trust me, there will be no delays or excuses. So if you feel like begging for a year for that extra dollar that they will tease you will, by all means work for Sanford.
Pros
It's a trap
Cons
low pay and terrible schedules
Excellent Culture
HIM Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 3, 2019
Loved the Work Culture, Co-workers & Management - Unfortunately had to leave as I was offered a higher paying position that I couldn't turn down - in hindsight I wish I could've stuck it out in hopes of more compensation because I loved the work environment and the wonderful team I was a part of
Pros
Excellent Cafeteria with a Wide Variety of Food Selections as a Great Price
Cons
Pay was low for my postion so unfortunately I had to move on to support myself
Sanford will lie to you
RN (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 19, 2018
Make sure you get Sanford to write EVERYTHING into your offer letter and better yet make them sign a contract if you can. Otherwise you will not get it. Like the schedule, differentials, workload, work hours, etc. They will blatantly lie to you or mislead during the hiring interviews just to get you to take the job. Once you are stuck here under a contract, it will be too late. They know that you will not stay here for a long time under these conditions so they will abuse you the best they can for the duration of the contract.
Pros
large hospital to get experience
Cons
low pay, terrible schedules, abusive environment
Patient to Nurse ratios
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 5, 2018
During the interviews they boast patient to nurse ratio is 4 to 1 on days. What they do not tell you is that it's a "goal." Reality is the ratio is 4-5, and is mostly 5. Which still sounds great right? Except, what they don't tell you during the interview is because they adjusted the ratio, Sanford decided that they can reduce the number of aides. So, now you get 1 less patient but also don't get an aide. This is typical Sanford behavior. They tell you one thing during interview, and then you find out completely different and always negative surprise once you get there and after you sign a contract.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Pay, Schedule, Patient to Nurse ratio, Work Environment
Patient Access Representative (Current Employee) –  Bismarck, NDDecember 12, 2018
I enjoy working with Sanford Health Bismarck. The employees are always so kind and willing to work with you. Training is done well. Insurance benefits are NOT the greatest but they are affordable. Always send updates when things change so I am always up to date.
Pros
Benefits, good pay, friendly staff
Cons
no advancement (unless you get a different degree in something), health insurance (not the greatest)
HR states the need for change, change management is facilitated as a course of instruction; the mgrs. Of org.& lead dev. unwilling to accept change
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDJanuary 5, 2019
The mission & values of the company are not followed with regard to employees. There are many great employees; several HR managers need leadership & management training and coaching. Coaching your manager is not welcomed; your opinion does not matter. If you don't agree with some HR executives & managers you are not considered to be of value and are not given a chance to prove your worth to the organization. Jealousy that HR managers have toward employees seems to acceptable. There are biases based on who you associate with.
Pros
Exercise and lunch facilities
Cons
Management unwilling to accept disagreement with their ideas, they state the case for change yet unwilling to actually change
Challenging work with positive people
Payroll Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 11, 2018
Our work cycle was on a two-week turn. Week one is spent on employee leave management. Week two is spent processing the bi-weekly payroll. Our office also managed garnishments as submitted to our department and support for management as they oversaw their staff's timecards.
Management in this department was superb. They were not afraid to challenge, or encourage their staff. There was never an opportunity to be bored.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
South Dakota winters
Do not work here
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Worthington, MNOctober 9, 2018
Horrible company full of horrible people. The managers are absolutely terrible people. Bad hours. No schedule made in advance. They literally call you 5 minutes before a shift telling you that you need to come in or you'll lose your job. I was scheduled to work and got there, clocked in only to be told my schedule had been changed, but no one informed me. Lack of communication is a huge problem with this company. I called, texted, and emailed my manager on 3 different phone numbers only to get no response for 3 days before deciding to just wait in her office to get a clear answer as to what was going on. These incidents happened for almost 6 months before I said enough is enough and left.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, no benefits, horrible inconsistent hours
Centered on Corporation Philsophy
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNOctober 6, 2018
A typical day at work is often short staffed. Management seems to be focused on the corporation versus its employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the patients and co-workers. The salary is fair to above average. The workplace culture is often negative due to staffing levels and management's philosophy.
Pros
Salary, co-workers, benefits
Cons
Limited staffing, negative work environment, focused on corporation versus employees
RN Health Coach (Current Employee) –  Moorhead, MNOctober 25, 2018
Typical day at work I am running the ER and hospital discharge report. I do phone coaching and coaching in person. I see people in regards to smoking cessation, diabetes, hypertension, asthma, depression, exercise and diet. I enjoy and love my co-workers I have. They make it not feel like a day at "work". I love the work environment that Sanford offers.
Team was like Family
Computer Operator (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDDecember 14, 2018
I enjoyed working at Sanford. When I started working there I was treated like a new member of the family! And that treatment continues through the years until I got moved to a new manager and that's when I started looking for a new job. I tried several times to get jobs within, but wasn't able to get one.
Good place to work.
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 21, 2018
Fully staffed lab, have all necessary instrument and supplies to perform tests, lab wages increasing by $1.00/ hrs every year for past three years but underpaid comparing to other staff with same level of education. Overall decent benefits and good place to work.
Pros
Opportunities to learn and grow.
Cons
Management very strict about overtime, pay discrimination.
Not working in disability laws
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 26, 2018
I enjoyed my time working there but they did not work with me once I was injured by a patient and outside of facility I did not feel supported and until day before injury I was noted as a good conscientious worker
Pros
Educational opportunities
Cons
Did not respect the help they have
Excellent place to work! Great work life balance in my department!
Talent Advisor (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 26, 2018
Great place to work! Continuously trying to improve processes and stay competitive. Sanford is making great advancements in not only healthcare but the technology we use too. Wonderful team environment.
Pros
Relaxed environment but we keep it professional.
Business driven healthcare organization that cares about its brand more than its employees
HEART & VASCULAR COACH (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDNovember 4, 2018
Good teamwork
Excellent personal manager but most are chosen by personal connection, not skillset
Money and patient satisfaction driven culture
Staff not rewarded for education or performance improvement
looks good on paper.
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 23, 2018
I have been a part of the Sanford "family" for almost three years. Greatness goes unnoticed. When issues arise action isn't taken until it is too late. If you don't have a degree FORGET about it. The turn around rate is higher than it should be for several reasons (not only because college students are on staff).
Pros
health insurance?
Cons
breaks are a joke. time off is fake. over worked and underpaid.
Loved my coworkers and the enviroment
PHLEBOTOMIST/LAB ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bismarck, NDJanuary 10, 2019
I made some of my best relationships at this job but due to management I was fired for medical issues relation to me missing work on to many occasions. The staff in both the lab and the emergency room are outstanding and so much fun to work with.
Productive and fun work environment
Pharmacy benefits technician (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 29, 2018
Excellent management and team leaders, fun team building opportunities, many learning opportunities. Casual yet productive work environment. Weekly meetings to answer questions and provide updates.
Pros
Beautiful location
Cons
No overtime
A short note
Help Desk (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDDecember 17, 2018
The culture at Sanford need to change and it should be more of diversity and equal opportunity for all. I work with all my skill set to make it better and well effective to my patients and the environment need to change with more of the attitude towards workers.
Loved the Job, Hated the People
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my job at Sanford, in fact, it was the hardest job I've ever had to leave. My manager was terrible though. And because she had been there 40+ years, complaints were useless. The doctors were all very friendly and the job itself was rather enjoyable.
Pros
Long lunch, benefits
Cons
Management, Large Company so Little Recognition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanford Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.9InHerSight Score

2.6Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight