Sanford Health Employee Reviews

Option to work from home
Coding Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 16, 2018
Decent place to work. Sometimes expectations from management are unrealistic based on workload. Good benefit options. Opportunity for advancement to management is available.
Challenging work with positive people
Payroll Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 11, 2018
Our work cycle was on a two-week turn. Week one is spent on employee leave management. Week two is spent processing the bi-weekly payroll. Our office also managed garnishments as submitted to our department and support for management as they oversaw their staff's timecards.
Management in this department was superb. They were not afraid to challenge, or encourage their staff. There was never an opportunity to be bored.
Pros
excellent work environment
Cons
South Dakota winters
Work
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNOctober 10, 2018
It was just okay. I just felt it was time to move on. I didn't like working weekends. There were always call ins. I just felt management wasn't too helpful either.
Great Place
Temporary Employee (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDOctober 10, 2018
I love working for this organization, but it's a temporary job for me, and it would be ideal if I could stay forever. The culture is amazing and the employees are excellent.
Pros
Growing company with a clear vision
Cons
Not hiring in my field
Do not work here
Registrar (Former Employee) –  Worthington, MNOctober 9, 2018
Horrible company full of horrible people. The managers are absolutely terrible people. Bad hours. No schedule made in advance. They literally call you 5 minutes before a shift telling you that you need to come in or you'll lose your job. I was scheduled to work and got there, clocked in only to be told my schedule had been changed, but no one informed me. Lack of communication is a huge problem with this company. I called, texted, and emailed my manager on 3 different phone numbers only to get no response for 3 days before deciding to just wait in her office to get a clear answer as to what was going on. These incidents happened for almost 6 months before I said enough is enough and left.
Pros
Cons
Bad management, no benefits, horrible inconsistent hours
Great job and wonderful team work with the whole department
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDOctober 8, 2018
My first position was working in the eye department scheduling appointment for our patients. It was a challenge as many of our patients did not speak English very well. But as time went on it got easier to understand them.

One challenges was hearing the patient on the phone as the background noise of the department was very loud.

I really enjoy working in the LEAD department, everyone is do friendly and we all work together and if we need help or assistance with the job, all you have to do is ask.

My job is very stressful at times as there is some much work involved in setting up the new employees class schedule. We have classes are everyone other week for nurses, tech, nursing assistants and more. The classes are different for each category. So there is a lot of learning involved with setting up the class schedules. I also need to make sure the rooms for the class are booked and correct on the calendars.
Pros
Team work
Centered on Corporation Philsophy
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Bemidji, MNOctober 6, 2018
A typical day at work is often short staffed. Management seems to be focused on the corporation versus its employees. The most enjoyable part of the job is the patients and co-workers. The salary is fair to above average. The workplace culture is often negative due to staffing levels and management's philosophy.
Pros
Salary, co-workers, benefits
Cons
Limited staffing, negative work environment, focused on corporation versus employees
Pathology Technician (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 27, 2018
It's a reliable job with very little opportunity for advancement within the company. The pay is somewhat above average and the benefits are on par for the area.
Very repetitive and stagnant in food services
Cook (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 23, 2018
This is somewhat predictable, but being a cook at Sanford is all about adhering exactly to the daily routine and the unchanging recipes. Creativity is underappreciated, as cooks are given no freedom to make decisions and the internal rules require any recipe to be sent through a bureaucratic jumble of reviews and nutritional analyses before they can be served, a process taking months in the event that you ever hear back. If stability and routine is your cup of tea, this is a good job for you, especially as job security is strong and benefits are good. If independence and creativity matter to you, this is a black hole.
Additionally, every day in food services is filled with the constant pressure to get all the work done in 8 hours every day with no overtime allowed despite severe under-staffing.
Pros
Good benefits, stable/predictable hours
Cons
No free meals for cooks, getting counseled for having even one hour of overtime, no room for creativity
Productive and challenging
IT security Intern (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 22, 2018
Well-exercised program to test the learning capabilities.
Challenging and great experience.
Very open to teach and communicate.
Excellent program for students to get the experience corporate workflow.
Pros
Working culture
Cons
Challenging work environment
Good place to work.
Medical Laboratory Scientist (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 21, 2018
Fully staffed lab, have all necessary instrument and supplies to perform tests, lab wages increasing by $1.00/ hrs every year for past three years but underpaid comparing to other staff with same level of education. Overall decent benefits and good place to work.
Pros
Opportunities to learn and grow.
Cons
Management very strict about overtime, pay discrimination.
Terrible place to work
Patient Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 19, 2018
Management was terrible. It seemed they always had to bully one employee. They bad mouthed staff when they were not at the meetings. They were friends with their aka friends on facebook.
Workplace
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 12, 2018
Fun working environment. Coworkers are friendly and helpful.
Management is friendly and understanding.

The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my coworkers, doing groups, and interacting with the patients.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
n/a
liked job, Manager made life difficult
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDSeptember 10, 2018
I loved working at Sanford. The Guest Services Manager at the time did not manage well. She is the reason I left and started my own business.
I enjoyed my coworkers and the job over-all.
Poor
Materials Handler/Sterilization Technician (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDSeptember 4, 2018
I did like this job however we did not get enough pay for what I did. We were the unsung heros and were not recognized in our area. We did not get enough benefits .
Not a good place to work at if you work in food service
Dietary Aide and Room Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 29, 2018
The only good thing about Sanford is that they have a lot of PTO, but their insurance is the worst. I don't feel like I would have a lot of career advanacement without a degree.
looks good on paper.
LABORATORY TECHNICIAN ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 23, 2018
I have been a part of the Sanford "family" for almost three years. Greatness goes unnoticed. When issues arise action isn't taken until it is too late. If you don't have a degree FORGET about it. The turn around rate is higher than it should be for several reasons (not only because college students are on staff).
Pros
health insurance?
Cons
breaks are a joke. time off is fake. over worked and underpaid.
Overworked, underpaid,terrible management, discriminatory
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 22, 2018
They promised you the sun and the moon to relocate to Fargo. Did not keep any of the promises (training, certificate, shifts, etc.). The staff in my unit was toxic- overworked, underpaid, and cutthroat- it was so bad that they have a poster in the nursing unit stating that they have the lowest retention rate and to speak positive instead of negative.

I want to warn new grads, especially if you are coming from the West Coast, that the North Dakota Labor Laws here are terrible (more like the 50's). The employer has to give you a half hour break, if they have two persons in the unit, but it can be anytime during the 12 hours shift. Expect to work at Sanford without a break for 11 hours straight; they can do that according to ND Labor Laws.

Needless to say, I resigned and I am going back to civilization and where people don't wear white sheets at night.
Pros
Cheap rent in Fargo
Cons
understaffed, overworked, cuthroat, favoritism, racist towards minorities
great coworkers
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 21, 2018
my coworkers were really great. The management team was undergoing some restructuring during my time there. I felt because of this some things got left unchecked and made it difficult to do my job at times.
Pros
discounts to places out in town
Cons
some times no time for breaks
Loved the Job, Hated the People
Patient Access Representative (Former Employee) –  Fargo, NDAugust 14, 2018
I really enjoyed my job at Sanford, in fact, it was the hardest job I've ever had to leave. My manager was terrible though. And because she had been there 40+ years, complaints were useless. The doctors were all very friendly and the job itself was rather enjoyable.
Pros
Long lunch, benefits
Cons
Management, Large Company so Little Recognition

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sanford Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.9

2.6Personal Development

3.0Career Opportunities

3.0Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight