Santa Barbara City College Employee Reviews

4.6
Ratings breakdown
fun & you will learn a lot!
Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 11, 2018
They encourage collaboration, so you get to work with lots of different staff & learn so much! They also have lots of connections and job opportunities to offer for advancement
Pros
wonderful staff, collaborative
Good Part-Time Job for Students
Dive Lab Technichian (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 28, 2018
Was able to make some extra cash while on campus. gained more experience working with dive equipment as well. Awesome staff and great administration.
Productive workplace with educational opportunities while working
Academic Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAFebruary 13, 2018
Tutoring students at Santa Barbara City College allowed me to further educate myself while also assisting other students who were in need of help. This made Santa Barbara City College a productive environment to work in.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Preparation can sometimes be difficult
Friendly and collaborative work
Adjunct Faculty, EFL (Current Employee) –  Isla Vista, CAFebruary 2, 2018
The most enjoyable part of the job was to get immediate positive feedback from students when they learned something new. The hardest part was having to brief new students coming in two or three weeks after lessons had started. Teaching English classes with multi-level adult learners demanded preparation of several levels of class activities.
Pros
Support from other teachers who shared teaching material etc.
Cons
My classes were in a classroom rented from a primary school, not SBCC's own. Students had to use small desks and chairs designed for young children.
When i was done with class i would go work in the art department
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 26, 2018
This job day was typically I worked on various different projects with other students who could come and go as they please. I also helped the teacher set up examples of how he would use a certain machine.
Pros
good lunch times, works around school scheduled
Counseling Assistant at SBCC
Counseling Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 11, 2018
SBCC is a great place to work with great people. The environment is always friendly and inviting. Working with students on a day to day basis allows up to aid and direct them in the right direction so they can accomplish their academic goals.

It is definitely a team effort and environment, and beside being located next to the beach and having beautiful weather year round. It is a great place to grow and advance.
Pros
Relaxed environment, great colleges, and support
Cons
parking, and lack of benefits for part time workers
Great atmosphere
Financial Aid Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 3, 2018
Overall I loved it. I would clock in, enter my own little office, start my programs and turn on my music and get to work right away. Work got busy near the end and beginning of the school year but never too crazy. If work was low, there was always something else to do. Always a good time and very helpful with my schedule.
Pros
No physical pain
Great people, great location
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJanuary 2, 2018
The best thing is the location. Can’t beat the Santa Barbara coast. The people and the work culture there are great also. A lot of staff unity and support for each other.
Pros
Location, coworkers
Great part time job as a student
System Support Specialist - Student Support (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 6, 2017
The SBCC computer lab was a great place to work as a student. I learned a lot about the IT industry and also learned how to do effective customer support.
Only if necessary
Economics Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAOctober 18, 2017
This job is entirely unnecessary if you have any other leads. Avoid this at all costs if you have any other choices that you have. Please look elsewhere.
Pros
Cons
Everything imaginable
Great place to work !
Lab Monitor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 8, 2017
Working there helped me understand different culture, and practice Spanish, and italian. I was able to be a leader to my coworkers. It was so much fun!
cool job
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT (Career Center) (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 30, 2017
if you love to help people and interact with the public this is a job for you. It can be slow at times so FB was my best friend. THe pay is good but only pays 1 time per month can be tough.
Best City College in the Nation and great professors.
Biomedical Sciences Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 10, 2017
Working at SBCC has been one of the best experiences of my life. The entire Biomedical Sciences Department is brilliant, and the professors are extremely knowledgable.
Adjunct Instructor
Animation Instructor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 5, 2017
Limited opportunity and limited pay/bnefits. As an adjunct professor I was paid for 1 hour of class prep for each hour of teaching. The prep and grading were considerably more demanding than an hour per class hour.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
No opportunity for growth
A good place to grow and learn
TEACHER'S ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 27, 2017
I gained more experience in my field of study as a Teacher's Assistant, being a part of classes and guiding students in the process of producing their short films.
Productive and supportive workplace
BRAIN and Gateway Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 26, 2017
- consistent daily expectations
- support from staff and coworkers
- felt like I was making a difference with the students I worked with
- help students during 3hr labs with concepts and anatomy identification
- hold a weekly office hour for students to attend to gain assistance with lecture and lab content
Great campus and good place to work .
Adjunct Faculty - Photography (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJuly 17, 2017
One of the best schools in the country. The students are hard working and the classes are top notch.

The student population is diverse, with many international students. It is a great place to teach.
Pros
The student population is diverse and challenging
Cons
The State of California has made many budget cuts, so the work schedule is always changing and that can be difficult.
Excelente
English as a Second Language Tutor (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, California, USA.June 25, 2017
Encontré un gran ambiente de trabajo en el que todos se apoyan y no te dejan atrás !!
It was an inspiring place to work.
ESL Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJune 16, 2017
What I enjoyed most was teaching students. They came to class eager and motivated to learn English. I also enjoyed learning from my peers and discovering new ways and approaches to teaching ESL.
Fun
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJune 13, 2017
Lots to do and not much help. Long hours and low pay. I wish I held out for more money. But its a great cause and they are helping a bunch of people. Parking stinks.