Santa Barbara Unified School District Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Not enough hours and poor management
Bilingual Paraeducator (Special Education) (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 28, 2018
I started working with a great manager and was switched to another manager whose style of management didn't match my expectations. Conflict was swept under the rug.
Pros
some nice co-workers
Cons
poor management
Easy going workplace
Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CADecember 31, 2017
Working in the Educational Technology Department at SBUSD was a great balance between using my technical skills without working in a strict software environment.
It's a school district
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 24, 2017
You get out what you put in. You need to be a self-starter and a problem solver. Support is site-based and what you get may depend on where you work. Be confident.
The left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAAugust 11, 2017
If I gave all the details they would know who I am. The school site had no idea I was coming on my first day. That is just the tip of the iceberg. I could not see myself working there long term because I did enjoy the administration. I have left that area.
Pros
Loved my co-workers
Cons
They failed to suspend anyone, even a student who assulted campus security.
Professional workplace with great students.
Math teacher; Special Education teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa BarbaraHigh School; San Marcos High School;August 1, 2017
I enjoyed teaching in Santa Barbara. I taught on the middle school as well as the high school level and each school was different. I found the teachers and administration to be very professional and have high expectations. I appreciated the support I always received from the administration.

My experience included the traditional 6 period day as well as the block schedule with 4 periods. Although each day was different, I organized and attended IEP meetings when I taught special education and taught different subjects on an individual basis to my students. While teaching math, I met with the other teachers who formed my team and we coordinated what would be taught each week and how we would evaluate the students on those concepts. A typical day consisted of teaching different levels of Algebra during 6 periods with one period as my prep period. I taught mostly 9th grade Algebra and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with students who were completely apathetic. It's so important to me that every student succeed that I couldn't understand a student who didn't want to at least try. I believe that all students can learn if the concept is broken down into small enough steps and it's my job to make them successful. The most enjoyable part of the job, then, is to see a smile on a student's face when they finally understand something they never understood before. That makes it all worth it.
Kind and organized staff
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAJune 5, 2017
I enjoy subbing for Santa Barbara Unified School District. The staff is very kind and organized. The website used for picking up substitute teaching shifts is user friendly.
Pros
Flexible
Cons
Productive work place with opportunities for advancement.
Front Office Secretary (Current Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAMay 10, 2017
*Fielding calls, assisting parents, teachers, students, staff
*Time management, prioritizing, multi-tasking
*Well managed office/school
*Excellent, very friendly staff
*I do not consider any part of my job hard, just professionally challenging at times which is great!
*The most enjoyable part of my job is my job, having the opportunity to grow as a person and as a professional
Pros
Paid holidays, summers off
Productive and fun place to work
Special Ed. Para-educator (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 13, 2017
Not only is it wonderful to work with such a great and dedicated team, but my personal growth and gaining of education is unsurpassed! Both the staff and the students were key in my growth and understanding of the Special Needs/Education field.
Pros
GREAT hours
Cons
there are none!
Not open to hear concerns
Paraeducator (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAApril 1, 2016
I had a concern about a class and I informed the the proper people above me. They did not agree with any of it and let me go because of it.
Pros
The kids
Cons
fellow staff
Working with the children of all ages was a blast.
LVN Float nurse (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CANovember 17, 2013
At SBSD I worked with children of all ages, visited multiple campuses from elementary to high school and provided assistant to nurses and the students. Having many years of experience in pediatrics it was refreshing to see children with compromised health and physical problems go to school will their peers. My learning experience was to see them develop hope and skills needed to be able function in society and take hold of their lives with a handicap. I worked directly with the nurse director who I thought was the hardest working person with 15 schools she managed in the district. She was able to get the job done and I was a float nurse that was flexible and usually the last one to know what was going on. The hardest part of the job was dealing with situations of underfunding and the need for equipment and proper facilities to make treatments for these students more safe and comfortable. I wanted to spend money out of my pocket to provide things like hand soap, diaper changing stations and personal supplies for some students, but there was no compensation from the district at that time. I tried to make it as comfortable as possible by using my playful skills and singing fun songs.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the mark you made in that child's mind as a caregiver. I had a 911 operator skit with a 7 year old who I saw occasionally, she became quite good answering my made up emergency calls as I performed her catheterization. I helped kids look to the future with excitement while accepting their compromised body. I enjoyed so many parts of the job, the field trips that
  more... I attended with a diabetic and seizure disorder kid. I saw how important it was for them to go on a field trip and to be a kid, free to run and lower their blood sugar! So I tried to monitor them in a discrete way, buy acting a part. One day a classmate of the child who I was monitoring came up to me and asked, you're the nurse, can you hold my jacket? I enjoyed the trips to the Stow House, the museum of natural history and the bus ride with 30 or more screaming excited kids on the 101 freeway.  less
Pros
Parties, field trips, social gatherings, family events, teaching
Cons
Driving to campus multiple campuses, traffic, mean teachers, kids and parents with behavior issues, and parents with litlle or no parenting skills.
Job Security / Advancement
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CAOctober 22, 2013
SBUSD gave me an opportunity to improve my skills with over 10 years of employment that included advancement in each department. I have learned from my co-workers and helped co-workers learn from me. SBUSD made a great place to work for team work.
Mixed cultural and ethical values
Food Services Site Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Santa Barbara, CASeptember 29, 2013
Uplifting working learning experience starting from the bottom line. Excellent professional development, customer service, language and cultural skills. Opportunities to implement area of expertise associated to language learning and business bridging strategies at job site.
Pros
Language skills development and multicultural awareness. Enrichment of Professional profile.
Cons
Challenging language communication issues with coworkers at the food preparation line.