SANTA CLARA COUNTY OFFICE OF EDUCATION Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Temporary positions
Staff Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 20, 2018
They offered temporary positions, but after being in them long term, there was no option to apply for them. They only hired in house employees. The hiring process was limited to in house employees only.
Pros
accessible and lots of training
Cons
No temp to hire
Lead teacher I worked with was very helpful.
Special-education teacher (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 18, 2018
Lead teacher I worked with was very helpful.My first two principles were a great managers they were very insightful had clear objectives, and appreciated a personable teacher. They were not threatened by my purse and ability. The last principal I worked with was very threatened by the person ability that I had with my parents. I left after working for that principal.
moderate work time and load, can be pleasant if you work with mindful teacher and staff
Special Education Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CADecember 29, 2017
If you know what you are expected to do, it won't be difficult to do your job. However, the environment can be very different from classrooms to classrooms depending on what kind of teacher and staff you work with on that day.
The structure was helpful
Substitute Teacher, Alternative Schools (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 25, 2017
Most enjoyable: Making connections with student's wanting to make change, and reaching out to those who were more challenging; empowering, encouraging, and establishing trust.
Pros
Structure
Cons
P.O's and Teacher's not always on the same page
It would be a better place if everyone is treated fairly
Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CASeptember 9, 2017
I would like to spread my wings to help others with the knowledge and education that I have gained, but I am not able to do so at my present position.
Sccoe
Bilingual Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 24, 2017
I began working with SCCOE as a Speech-Language Pathologist for the very first time. I mainly worked with severe disabled students in different school in the Santa Clara County area. I liked working with these students. I got a lot of hands-on training about this profession while working for them. I'm grateful for the opportunity they provided me.
Pros
summers off
Cons
too much red tape
I worked for san jose unfied school district
Teacher Substitute (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 27, 2017
Depending on my job I thoroughly enjoyed it. My only issues were that to live in this area of California the pay did not fit the cost of living. I learned how to deal with children with all sorts of issues and learning challenges. I learned how to be firm but understanding. The hardest part of being an Instructional Associate or Substitute Teacher is that even though you see things that are not working you are unable to really change them because it is not you class.
Pros
Wonderful Children
Cons
Pay is not equal to cost of living
Very rewarding job with great people to work with.
Para Educator Special Education (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 12, 2017
I love what I did everyday. The students were great to work with and they encouraged me go back to school and become a teacher. It's great job to start off with if you're planning on becoming the teacher.
Pros
Good benefits decent pay
Cons
No full-time positions
Great Professional Environment
Substitute Staffing Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 16, 2016
A typical day at work depends on the department or site you work for. The office is a great environment to work for. The staff is friendly. Everyone speaks to each other and acknowledges each other. The cafeteria has GREAT food. There wasn't a hard part of the job. On a scale 1-10 the job is a 10 in regards to being enjoyable.
Pros
Great Environment
Cons
N/a
Meaningful work
School Therapist (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 2, 2016
School Therapists have an opportunity to work with a small caseload in challenging Special Day Classes with students designated as ED (emotionally disturbed), who often have other special needs. Immediate leadership and collaborating with Special Education Teachers and Para-educators can be very rewarding. Adequate funding and resources, not only with the employer, but in the community can be very challenging. Good job for those motivated to take pride in developing a creative, organized behavior management program linked to the classroom.
Pros
School year calendar, can take summers off, dedicated colleagues
Cons
Upper management can be chaotic, lack of promotion possibilities
I was treated with no respect and unfair. Former employee
Former teacher (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 5, 2016
They let me go and i was treated mean by supervisor. They did not value me at all or have compassion. Supervisor dislike me. Created a hostile environment. They had me under restictions.
Pros
Flexible job
Cons
Very stressful descreminate favor people
Classroom environment working conditions
Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 24, 2015
It was fine being a substitute teacher. I liked the flexibility of taking assignments when I wanted to work. I would have done it for a career if it had benefits.
good work environment
Assistant teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 23, 2015
SCCOE is a good place to work. It support its employees and helps the community to do better in many ways.
l like my work , specially love to help others who is in needs.
Administrative Assistant/Customer Service
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 16, 2015
I work in a very busy work environment. The people who I work with to help get my job done are very helpful and knowledgeable. If I have questions I know I can ask and get the answers I need. I truly enjoy working with people and helping people get answers to their questions and feel accomplished. I am able to learn quickly and enjoy change and challenges.
Pros
Provide support to people as needed
Cons
Not enough time in a day to get the job done
A good place to work
Payroll Manager (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAAugust 13, 2015
There are many amenities at Santa Clara County Office of Education. The salaries are very good and great benefits. Business Services is a great department to work for.
productive
Para Educator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 22, 2015
Working for The Santa Clara County Office of Education has been a great experience! Learned a lot. Great people to work with. Busy/ productive days.
Stay Away!
Special Education Teacher (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 1, 2015
Working for the County was a nightmare. I was never given an evaluation and had three different administrators in my one year working there. Things are disorganized and expect very little help if you need it. Everyone passes the buck here.
Pros
Good salary, good location
Cons
Poor leadership and support
I learned a lot about child development of special children since I started working in SCCOE.
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 1, 2014
My work in SCCOE is very challenging, yet rewarding.
A typical day at work involves, either home visits or attending a center-based class for visually impaired children.
Everyday is a learning experience dealing with the special students
and their parents/guardians.
Likewise challenging, is working with Teachers/Specialist and co-Paraeducators.
The hardest part of the job is having three home visits a day, which means driving from one place to another, with a window of just 30 minutes.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with the children and parents, especially, when you are able to establish rapport with them,
implementing the plan and programs seems easier.
Pros
Teachers share their knowledge and expertise on how to educate children with special disabilities.
Cons
Short break periods.
fun place to work for
Sub- Custodian (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CANovember 2, 2013
fun place to work for and would love to work full time but was a sub
It is a great opportunity to work with different kinds of students and the staff all work as a team.
Paraeducator (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAOctober 21, 2013
My most enjoyable part of my job is to watch the students grow in many different ways and all while having a good time.