Santa Clara University Employee Reviews

AYAL jobs are dead-end jobs with no career potential
Academic Year Adjunct Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 28, 2018
Pay is too low to even survive.
Contracts and renewals are very last minute, even the day you're due to start teaching.
Cultish environment that celebrates whenever a tenure-track faculty member does something trivial while heaping work onto lecturers.
Students are largely unmotivated and disinterested in learning, even within their majors.
Pros
Manage your own time
Cons
If you teach 3 classes per quarter, you'll have 60+ students, so grading takes 40 hours/week on top of prep and classroom time
High Work Volume
OM of Student Welfare (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 13, 2018
Be ready to work hard. Rewarding work. But definitely diffcult. Much is often expected beyond job description. It is a beautiful place to work with the mission right there.
Pros
Cons
Some Stagnancy
Relaxed
Peer Mentor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 11, 2018
Santa Clara is super understanding about you being a student. There is absolutely no pressure to put work above your life as a student. Also all the staff that I have met, love their experience
great place to build network
Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 11, 2018
i was student while i working here part time. Great professors with amazing research and work for their students giving academic experience as well as prepare you for industry.
Pros
network
Cons
part time
Great teaching experience
Lecturer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAFebruary 3, 2018
Teaching at Santa Clara University was a pleasure. I instructed Introduction to Law, Criminal Law, and Sports Law. I found the staff to be helpful and the students to be eager to learn.
Pros
I loved teaching there
Cons
Sporadic class schedule
My time
School of Engineering, Event Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 31, 2018
People are relaxed but get work done. It's not a stressful atmosphere and people don't demand too much work of you unless you want it. Pretty much, you have to excel at something yourself.
Great Place to work
Social Media Intern (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 10, 2018
Perfect place for a college student to work. They were extremely accommodating with my class schedule as well as breaks during the school year. Very highly recommend for a college student.
Working as a researcher on my own time
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Palo Alto, CAJanuary 1, 2018
The work was paid research credits, officially called a job by the university, but as such the hours were wholly flexible. I worked usually not more than 10 in a week on the project, and the deadlines were usually quite managable.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Demanding meetings
Positive, supportive work environment
Assistant Director (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CANovember 28, 2017
Supportive work environment. Great people to work with. Benefits are competitive. Salary is below average overall but on par with higher education. Hours depend on the position but encourage a good work-life balance
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
Salary
Students are Underpaid
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 18, 2017
Working as a student at SCU is generally a good experience, but students are vastly underpaid based on their skill sets. I would only recommend it as temporary work; if better opportunities arise, I would take those.
productive and fun place to work
Software development Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAOctober 12, 2017
summer internship gave me opportunities to work with some of the professors and other co-workers. Sharpened my data analysis skill and web scrapping skill.
Full Time Student and Part time Employee
Frugal Breast Milk Sensor Senior Design (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CASeptember 14, 2017
Great opportunities for learning and gaining experience for students. I worked 20hrs/week during the school year and would recommend to other students. Fair pay and flexible hours.
na
Campus Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 23, 2017
positions are racially based, management is all out to get each other and any officers they do not like on other teams. issues are swept under the rug if you are a white male and blown up if you are any other race or female.
Cons
poor management, racial working environment
Your typical college customer service job
I.T. Specialist (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 8, 2017
I would install and maintain computer systems across the campus. I would also provide troubleshooting and customer service to students and faculty. Software updating.
Great student jobs
Undergraduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 7, 2017
SCU has a variety of different student jobs that provide experience in customer service, administration, and time management. The staff who oversee the student workers are friendly and very helpful. Jobs are plentiful and hours are flexible.
Pros
Flexible hours, easy to get to
work life balance
finance professional (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAAugust 3, 2017
very 8 to 5. little flexibility within this depending on your position. lots of intelligent people. technology stuck in the 90s. great students doing wonderful things.
Great place to work.
Medical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 23, 2017
I enjoyed working at Santa Clara University. It was a an opportunity where I learned new skills. I enjoyed my time working there and with the staff. Only thing it is a nine month employment.
Pros
Private practice clinic setting.
Cons
No advancement as a Medical Assistant.
Productive and fun workplace
Student Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJune 8, 2017
I go to school here and love having a job on campus! My employers go above and beyond to make the work environment pleasant and I really enjoy working for them!
Great environment
Adjunct Career Coach (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMay 17, 2017
I am new to the University. I like the culture, staff and my impact on the students. My manager is very thoughtful knowledgeable, helpful, and a team builder.
Working at the Call Center
Annual Fund Student Caller (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMay 6, 2017
I'm a student caller who reaches out to alumni and friends of the University in order to receive donations. A typical day at work is a three-four hour shift, where I sit and call people. Its fun