Santa Clara Valley Medical Center Employee Reviews

4.3
Ratings breakdown
A pretty good experience
Psychiatric RN II (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 12, 2018
The hospital needed some remodeling. Some staff had been there decades and pretty much different cultural groups would run the show. I was once reprimanded for asking a coworker if I had done something that they found offensive, in an effort to correct it. Mostly, I grew accustomed to the unit-level politics and liked the staff and management. I would have stayed until retirement if my mother had not had medical issues and needed my care.
Pros
Great pay/benefits
Cons
Unit-level politics
Patient Centered Care
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2018
Specific departments do an excellent job providing care tailored to the individual patients and their needs. When there is a consensus amongst providers and patients/family, the treatment process can really be seamless and uphold integrity for all involved.
Pros
Great treatment, improved communication
Cons
Language barriers, non compliance
Stressful when management and employees are not on same page
Health Service Representative- extra help (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 27, 2018
Management and team leads are not on same page. So much drama with other employees. Shared break room that seems always packed, new rules being created everyday.
SLP intern in acute rehab setting on spinal cord injury unit
Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Student Intern (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 20, 2018
This internship provided a wide variety of experiences and gave me a well-rounded understanding of what it's like to work in a medical setting as an SLP (with adults).
Environmental work place
Environmental Services Janitor (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJune 7, 2018
valley medical was a good place of employment however the price of living forced me out of the bay area I was working for valley medical for 12 years and would of stayed but had no choice for the cost of living.
Pros
good pay and nice hours
Cons
communication
Productive workplace.
Sr. Health Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 30, 2018
Working as a senior health representative, daily tasks change on a constant basis . One day you may be screening patient's for county programs and or insurance eligibility another day working closely with various insurance carriers obtaining medical authorizations for surgical procedures. The interaction with patients in my opinion is the highlight of working for a county hospital. I enjoy servicing the community with being able to help patient's in a time of need.

I have learned a lot working with a county hospital versus private facilities. I leaned that every medical practice is ran differently and this has shown me how to proceed with constant change in a medical environment.
Great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CA 95128April 16, 2018
Didn't exactly work here, but rather I volunteered during the holidays by handing out hot dogs to people who have suffered from severe burns. It was a very humbling experience in which I enjoyed yearly.
Pros
Fun
Cons
no pay
Limited Term employment
Extra Help Pharmacist (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 15, 2018
This was a limited term employment where I worked at Valley Medical Center for a few months in 2015. I enjoyed working there and the management was kind to me and treated me well.
Very odd environment
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 13, 2018
Just very odd and combative environment. Had great relationship with coworkers and patients but management was bullying and unfriendly. Not sure what the problem is here. I've worked at many hospitals as a traveller. SCVMC is one of the worst. Not just me either. You can do better.
Pros
Close to home. Growing system
Cons
Bullying management
Official response from Santa Clara Valley Medical Center
April 18, 2018

We are sorry to hear about your experience and would love to hear more about it. Feel free to send us an email at nursetalent@esa.sccgov.org or give us a call at 408-885-6754.

Recommend
RN, Clinical Nurse III (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 4, 2018
SCVMC is a great place to work. The patient population is challenging and diverse, and the staff make it their priority to care. Good availability of resources for both staff and patients.
Easy going and calm place to work at.
Volunteer Work (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 28, 2018
As the cashier at the gift shop, it was not too busy and whenever I needed time off because of school or other activities that came in the way, my managers were very understanding and supported me every step of the way. They treated me very well.
Pros
Discounted lunches
Cons
Boring
Patient and Family Advisory Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 25, 2018
This is a great place. The leadership and staff are great, providing much needed service to the underserved as well as all others across the entire county. Meaningful work and critical to the survival of not only residents on our county but all others as well.
Clinical Rotation Student
Clinical Rotation Student (Former Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAMarch 17, 2018
Great learning environment
Supportive staff, including RNs, HSAs, MDs
Accommodating to students
Opportunities to perform, practice and learn clinical skills
Great place to be a nurse
RN/Credentialed Trainer (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAMarch 5, 2018
I only worked here briefly as a practicing RN. From what I observed is was a wonderful place to be an RN. The culture in my unit was amazing- extremely supportive, positive, etc. The union is unique- it's a one-hospital union, with a decent relationship with management.
Pros
Provides great care, great work environment
Cons
The usual, but less so
Competative
Technician (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 26, 2018
Company is very competative in which employees they hire. It is a who you know basis. Most of the people I worked with were afraid that someone new would come in and take their jobs.
Pros
Nice middle management
Cons
Employees are overworked
fun and friendly environment
Medicine, Men and Women Care. (Shift Supervisor) (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 21, 2018
excellent place to work, with lots of resources and support, very good provision of professional improvement and growth, excellent benefits. a typical day is always very busy.
excellent
SHIFT SUPERVISOR, Custody Health. (Former Employee) –  150 w hedding stFebruary 19, 2018
scvmc is an excellent place to work, Staffs are very friendly, resourceful and very supportive, fun to work with.
they help in employee growth and development, and also have good benefits.
love this place and the benefits
Licensed Vocational Nurse (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAFebruary 14, 2018
I have worked with the county of Santa Clara for 8 years and could stay here forever. Being a Pediatric nurse is the best decision. I love the profession and seeing the smiles on children's faces throughout the day
Good to work for
Health Service Representative (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 31, 2018
Good hospital to work for and become proficient in trained skills. Not enough opportunities for advancement. It's a "who" you know rather than a "what" you know.
Amazing Work Place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 29, 2018
Loved my job and what I did here at SCVMC. Would love to stay but looking for something permanent and not temp. Great field to go into and amazing people to work with.