Santa Monica Seafood Employee Reviews

Fast paced, challenging career
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 8, 2018
If you are a foodie, have seafood knowledge, enjoy ever changing products and enjoy working with creative people then this is the job for you. I loved the seafood industry, working with farmers, chefs and my team.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
too many layers of management.
Si el ambiente es agradable
Sanitation Worker (Current Employee) –  18531 s Broadwick st Rancho Domínguez ca, 90220June 21, 2017
Bueno yo trabajo en esta empresa y tengo beneficios pues todo está muy bien solo qué hay algo que no me ha agradado de ella que en los aumentos nos han perjudicado porque nosotros que le hechamos muchas ganas al trabajo nos quieren tapar la boca con una miseria de aumento yo en lo personal creo que eso es injusto porque nadie más que nosotros sabemos cómo nos toca en el día por eso estoy en desacuerdo con esta empresa después de esto todo está muy bien es lo que quería declarar gracias.
Pros
Hay beneficios médicos etc.
Cons
También hay tiempo para el cafe
Fast paced environment with a bunch of fun people
Hostess/Cashier/Busser (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJune 7, 2017
People complain a lot about working here and it was really cliquey, but the job paid very well and I learned a lot about taking to go orders and dealing with high profile clients.
Pros
discounted meals
Cons
short breaks and cliqueness
Most of the people are friendly
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CAAugust 24, 2016
Good company to work.
What I learned was some of the seafoods product.
Customer service is a very busy department
But the training needs to be improved
lots of leads but not eongh help when you really needed.
Upper management is very good
Some Co-workers are hard to get along with.
The hardest part of this job was not knowing the food service side
I really enjoyed talking to the customers
Pros
Lots of potlucks
Cons
Too many interviews by somemany people & not enough training
It was like working with family
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 19, 2015
I really enjoyed going to work at Santa Monica Seafood in Sacramento because I liked everyone I worked with. My job was enjoyable and varied. I had many different responsibilities and my GM was very easy going. I loved learning new aspects of the job and had fun doing it. Unfortunately, we only had one sales rep and not enough new accounts to keep our branch afloat. We were all really sad to shut down our facility because we all felt like family.
Pros
friendly work environment, learning new things, great benefits
Cons
Our branch not having enough business and eventually shutting down
Fun Work Place with Supportive Management
QC Technician (Current Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CADecember 2, 2015
Working at Santa Monica Seafood is great because I am constantly on major projects that helps improve the environment that we live in.

I was hired here to assist with quality control on all our products and also aid in audits such as the FSSC 22000 by complying with regulatory compliance and document control on Safefiid360.com, evaluating the ISO 14001 Environmental Aspects and many more.

Santa Monica Seafood has given me the opportunity to utilize my skills in the area that I've gone to school for. The tasks I do every day works in conjunction with my undergrad.
Pros
Dynamic Growing Company to Work for
Great Culture. Great Products. Great Growth Opportunities.
Marketing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CADecember 7, 2015
Santa Monica Seafood is such a wonderful diverse company to work for. Great culture, great products and many growth opportunities here! I’ve been at Santa Monica Seafood since 2009 and I can definitely say, “We’ve grown dramatically”! The major growth that this company has come to be today is super unreal and to be a part of this successful company/family means a lot. I’ve worked with big corporates in the past and even small companies - all I can say is that Santa Monica Seafood beats all the other employers that I’ve ever worked for.
Pros
Healthcare Benefits | 401K | Life Insurance
Fun place to work with plus good healthy food.
Seafood Specialist, clerk (Current Employee) –  154 E 17st Costamesa CA 92627-3709July 4, 2015
I work the deli part of the store were I provide services to the customers from buying fish to making special orders.
You get to learn about the products you sell (fish and Shellfish) Where they are from, how they are caught, and how to cook, and prepare them.
Management is wonderful they are always helpful and are very flexible with the schedule.
Co-workers and staff are nice helpful and fun to work with.
The hardest part about my job is just learning about the fishes where they are from, and how to cook it, plus the number codes to price it at the deli, but once that is learned its as easy as pie.
Pros
Good management, good food, wonderful Co-workers
Cons
sometimes customers can be diffucult
Team Work attitude workplace
Credit & Collections -Account Receivable (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CAFebruary 21, 2017
A very Productive and good workplace with room to grow with the company. Multiple departments with team work attitude. Management works just as hard as their employees.
Pros
1 Hour Lunch W/2 10mins breaks
Cons
Must Clock In/Out for lunch. Temp to Full Time
Organization is fast pace, hands on, limited systems.
Director of Logistics (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CAAugust 26, 2016
Very lean organization. Learned the Seafood business is unique to its industry everything is JIT. Entire Team at SMS are good people. Unfortunately, slow developing culture in a fast growing business.
Pros
Many proffesional and talented people with great skills.
Cons
Limited systems
Growing work envorment
production (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CADecember 22, 2015
Santa Monica Seafood is growing at a very high pace. Production is high paced with supportive management. The company offers many different career paths such as production, sales and logistics.
Pros
Copany is still growning
Cons
In order to maintain high quality standards the facility is always at 34*F
A good place to work
Picker/Packer/Shipper (Current Employee) –  Compton, CAAugust 3, 2017
I love what I do..
I've been picking for about 5 years now and driving the forklift for about 4 years now! It's a friendly place and very easy to work
fun place to work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 11, 2013
The hardest part of the job is to make the delivers on time because of traffic, and sometimes the weather, the most enjoyable part of this job is to see that the customers are happy with the product and the prices that this product has a good quality for them and their clients.
Great people
receiver (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CAMay 20, 2015
It was actually an interesting place to work at , but it was graveyard so late hours can really drain you. Great co-workers and loved getting to work with all the product we would receive.
Pros
product would be half off for employees
Cons
graveyard, prefer afternoon shifts
productive and funworkplace
Driver (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 27, 2015
Santa Monica Seafood Company is a productive and fun workplace all the employees are friendly and helpful. The Management is very respectful.
BAD Management !!!
Route Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica SeafoodJanuary 22, 2015
My day would start between 5:00am - 630am by inspecting the truck that I was assign to.For any damage. Most of the time I would depart late because warehouse staff was shorthand. They only had 3 to 5 warehousemen to load over 25 routes and we weren't allowed to load our own trucks.
Making deliveries throughout Los Angeles,Hollywood and Orange County.

The hardest part
Dealing with management yelling at us on the phone and getting those annoying calls every min regarding the same issues because they were unorganized ,they did not communicate with each other as a team. Returning to warehouse with stress because they expect you to arrive at earlier time and was not accurately written on route sheet by management.

Also the logistic manager M*** A***** in my opinion and also 25 of the drivers I spoke to they agreed that he was not a good candidate. I do not know why he's there just taking up space because he doesn't have any manager and people skills and the way he runs the show he was letting go of good drivers that worked hard and would keep the ones that brown nose.

I learned that fresh doesn't mean anything anymore because in this warehouse they cut their fish every 2 to 3 day at advance to stock for inventory.
No wonder Customers were getting bad Tuna when the Chefs from restaurants would test for quality it was too old, slimey salmon, brown smelly mahi mahi and shellfish that was harvested as late as 11 days.

What I most enjoyed was helping out customers and the co workers (drivers and warehousemen) I worked with were pleasant.

On an employee perspective,
  more... this Company still feels like a small company even though it has grown tremendously by 4 billion dollars.... culture, values, ethics, work environment is bad.Even doe its a family owned.They do not make you feel welcome.The drivers were always at fault or wrong when it came to talking in a group of coworkers(drivers) while waiting for truck to be loaded or calling in sick or being blamed for any previous damage of vehicles at inspection or being late at arrival of any route.

When it came to reviews on October of every year ...say goodbye to your raise because logistic manager would bring up anything to not give one. He went as far as to bring last years write ups or trady incidence.
Pros
Pay holidays and sick days
Cons
Stress, Horrible unqualified Management, low pay
Good product, bad management. Horrible quality of life.
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Rancho Dominguez, CA 90220January 22, 2013
Day started at 5:30 am check ing orders place at night. this meant looking for product that was requested and not sent or we sent the wrong product. If a specialty product came in, for example, such as Hawaiian Onaga. The four owners of the company would get first crack at it thus leaving us to scramble for a substitute for a very angry chef.Day would end at 9pm with me checking orders to make sure they were placed correctly.

I learned that the oceans are being depleted quiclky of all types of seafood. Farmed Aquaculture is the way of the future with many species. Blue fin tuna should be placed on the endangered species list in the next 10 years as a result of overfishing.I also learned that promises are broken every day and people will lie straight to your face when pushed.

Management at SM Seafood is toxic to say the least. Angry people from the top down. I would come in with a very chipper attitude, say hello to people and see the stress in their faces from being badgered.
While working there 2 heads of the HR department quit. Two of the owners were sent home for a week without pay. One for using a profane term for a jewish co-worker and the other for verbally dressing down the head of HR in front of the Sales department meeting.My boss found many ways to lower my pay over the 4 years i worked with him. When he came in I was on my way to 100k for the year. It dropped 20% the following year with his new commission plan even though my sales increased 10%.

I liked my co-workers and was pleasant to all of them. To my favorites such as my driver of my territory or my inside
  more... sales person on to the Logistics department. They all recieved gifts of $50 or more for the excelent service and help they gave me. Side note. SM Seafood does not give any Holiday bonuses. When my mentor/owner found out I had given out more than $600 in gifts he asked if he could split it with me and for me to tell the employees that they were from him also. I declined.

Working sometimes 7 days a week even though we were closed. Watching my pay go down due to buying programs that were set up by company. This would give the customer extremely low pricing if they purchased solely from us. Even though my sales numbers were up my commissions went down.

Enjoyment. Access to all types of seafood at cost. Helping out chefs who forgot to order and saving the day by delivering the product in the nick of time. The occassional free meals given to my wife and I at my clients restaurants.
Pros
seafood at cost. stuff is pretty expensive at times.
Cons
toxic enviroment. 80 hour work weeks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Santa Monica Seafood. Our community is ready to answer.