Sarah's Circle

Working at Sarah's Circle: 17 Reviews

United States17 reviews

Growing organization with an incredibly dedicated staff, a miss when it comes to compensation

The staff has made working at Sarah's Circle worth it. It's a special group of people that are extremely knowledgeable about homeless support services and are extremely dedicated to the org's mission. Unfortunately the compensation offered is not commiserate with the work load or the mental strain that comes with doing this work. The organization is going through a lot of growing pains as it expands and creates more affordable housing, hopefully this will get better as they hire more staff. Unfortunately I've been told multiple times that more staff is being hired to lighten our work loads but it hasn't actually materialized yet.

Pros

doing good work, great mission, incredible staff completely dedicated to the mission of the org, opportunity for growth within the org (depending on your interests)

Cons

low compensation (relative to the amount of work), mentally & physically draining work, unpaid mandatory lunch breaks, development & programming teams treated differently, feelings of mistrust within upper level management

Great Work Culture, Poor Work Life Balance

I enjoyed working there however the position was only for a year with no possibility of staying on longer. Benefits were good but didn't allow much flexibility with your schedule incase of emergencies (wouldn't recommend if you have children).

Pros

Work Culture

Cons

Work-Life Balance

Sarah's Circle insights

What people like
  • Supportive environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
  • General feeling of work happiness

Meaningful work, passionate leadership

The organization is growing quickly and a big reason is because of their forward thinking. They truly are not just want, but acting to eliminate homelessness for single women by creating affordable and supportive housing for women.

Pros

Mission driven, positive supportive culture

Cons

Hard work, don't expect clients to be immediately grateful...they've had it rough

Great place to start over.

I liked assisting the women in need. The meal preparation was good and the structure of the company was easy to learn. Most of the women have similar cases and they tend to connect to help rebuild each other.

Little advancement opportunities. Opportunities do not appear to equitably afforded to minority workers.

This organization has a great mission which could attract talented staff. However the pay for most positions is lousy/really awful. Further during my time there I often saw people of color who worked for the organization for many years not considered for advancement opportunities or were not promoted. ????

Great Place to gain Human Service Experience

I worked Night Audit at Sarah's Circle for about five months. Good pay compensation. Lack of contact with Night Audit Shift and Management would be the only con. Great place to work if you have a split schedule.

great providers

there's many different workers at Sarah's circle from all different walks of life with many different ethnicities everyone was very helpful very concerning, caring and passionate abut their position at Sarah's circle everyone's common goal was to provide great care and compassion to those women living in the shelter and i believe we all did just that!

Pros

meeting new people

Cons

can be stressful at times

It was okay to work...

If you are pursuing working with the battered women, the place is to work! Can have a many experience with the people in diversity. The environment is safe and have wonderful cohort!

Treats clients poorly, poor compensation, promotion not based on performance

This shelter has great initiatives, but treats workers poorly. You will be paid minimum wage to risk your safety and be treated like you are worthless.

Pros

Social work experience

Cons

atrocious compensation, benefits, work environment, workplace safety

productive and fun work place

I Loved this job because i got to work with different ethnicities and operate with different women from different walks of life. it gave me a chance to show support and comfort to women that wasn't use to that type of love and it also put me in a hire position of learning new thing and learning how to multi task in a different way.

Pros

learning data entry, recording count

Cons

sleepless mornings, and nights, heavy work loads

great people to work for very compassionate

just love to be ;part of a team that was geared toward helping others. I had the opportunity to learn about how to assist the client in a professional and friendly manner

Pros

free meals got to go out on errands and involved in fundraising activities

Cons

fund ran out for the ;position

Great benefits, calm working environment, wonderful co-workers, with a variety of work duties. Plenty inter-action with meal providers and volunteers that help promote the well being of clients.

Servicing Homeless women

Supervise the day to day operations of the interim housing program including reporting the census to the DFSS. The housing program is a 50 bed 120 day program for homeless women .

Great Cause, Poor Management

I learned a lot at Sarah's Circle and found a new passion. I LOVED working with the women there, but the management cares neither for the staff nor the participants. The way the administration treats the staff is borderline abuse. It is a good organization that works very hard for it's participants, but is distracted by the funding requirements.

Pros

Great place to get started in social work.

Cons

No management support.

Very poor supervisor to employee communication, fair job security, attitude that "this is your life - and you must swear allegiance to this agency."

Case manager. This is a very competitive work environment, very poor supervision and difficult to access quality supervision. Demanded a huge amount of work with low compensation. May be OK if employee is a recent graduate.

Fast Paced Social Service Agency

I worked as a clinical intern at this agency and was, therefore, not as involved in the day to day operations. The agency was undergoing a lot of changes while I was there and required a lot of independent work from the interns. The staff was amazing and supportive and working with the clientele was difficult but also extremely rewarding. It was a positive experience working with an organization that had such a strong mission to serve an in need population.

Sarah's Circle helped many homeless women find jobs and homes. I enjoyed my time working there.

I worked 12 hours a day, four days a week, and loved my co-workers. I learned a lot about how to be professional, even when the client/customer is not being polite. I learned how to multi-task daily. I learned how a non for profit organization works and how they get funding.

Cons

no healthcare, no raises, and no breaks.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sarah's Circle. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Sarah's Circle Reviews by Location

Learn about Sarah's Circle in popular locations

Sarah's Circle reviews by popular job title

• Sarah's Circle
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?