Saranac Waterfront Lodge

Saranac Waterfront Lodge Employee Reviews in Saranac Lake, NY

Saranac Lake, NY13 reviews

Listed below for space

Summary: Large property that was cheap and unintelligent in design and work space; Unhealthy work environment; New Operations manager is terrible; Few decent managers are overwhelmed and burnt out; Guests unhappy and underwhelmed as a result of poor decisions; Same type of AC units that caused fire still in use, still freezing and overheating... Everything major to be said about what I have experienced here can be seen above. There are other things which I will describe in more detail below... A few members of my department and management have tried their best, while others just gave up or never truly cared about what the hospitality industry should actually strive for (like the wellbeing, safety, and happiness of its guests rather than just making big money off of cheap and lousy experiences). COVID/burnout understaffing are all present here, but nothing that could really be done to resolve these issues is being done. There lacks an actual incentive to hire, guide, and take care of each employee for more than a few days. Not to mention the presence of a new manager that has put only further strain, frustration, and feelings of belittlement and insignificance on my coworkers, other managers, and myself. They are selfish, rude, obnoxious to both the guests and staff, and care only to do what they want rather than listen to calm, reasonable advice or feedback from others. In this world now, and always, we need mature, kind, and open-minded management/leaders in properties like this in order to fix past mistakes and actually make for a decent working environment. The wellbeing -

Pros

- Suitable pay for position

Cons

Same as above

December 22, 2021
Thank you for your feedback. As a new resort, it is always challenging during a first year of operation. We are glad that you felt the pay was suitable, however we do apologize for the transition and turnover affecting your job satisfaction. We realize new employees require extensive training and support to be comfortable and confident, enabling them to deliver service execution excellence to experienced travelers in the current environment. I am sorry you feel we failed to prepare you for this demanding role. We hope you are happy in your future endeavors. I appreciate the efforts you and the rest of the team have generated during these transitional times.As the new Rooms Director, I am trying to contribute to positive change and realize training efforts are mitigated with Covid coverage and compounding turnover. We take all feedback seriously and your comments have been noted. We are moving to correct these items there are many positive changes occurring and opportunities for improvement.Thank you again -

Great Career opportunity for those that want to work hard and take responsibility seriously.

Career opportunity for those that want to work hard and take responsibility seriously. This is a newly built property and beautifully done!A difficult year to open with COVID but we’re all trying very hard to give our guests the best experience of their lives!!

Saranac Waterfront Lodge insights

Areas for improvement
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Energizing work tasks

Newly constructed property on lake. Competitive pay and benefits, recent across-the-board pay increases given.

The hotel is a leisure property, guests are usually in high spirits and in vacation-mode which makes for nice guest interactions. Positions pay well relative to competitors in the local market.

Pros

Competitive pay, free meals in employee cafeteria.

Cons

Business levels fluctuate seasonally.

On the Move... High Energy!

Very interesting energetic attitude toward learning and improving. Staff has a great attitude toward guests and each other, with just a few exceptions. Great people! All will pitch in when asked across departments and tasks. Fast paced, positive atmosphere! Wages & benefits competitive.

Property with many difficulites but I believe it is only going to get better with upper management ironing out kinks

I came onto this property not knowing the challenges that it was facing, and it seemed as if there were many. Through my time there (1 month) i was able to see a change of culture and attitude and I truly believe that new management is there to help fix problems. It is a difficult area to recruit in, and covid has not helped at all, but i do see the hotel running more smoothly.

Pros

Free Lunch, Holiday Bonus, Opening orientation

Cons

Transient workers

Terrible!!!

Upper management will take you're soul. Salary is a trick! Get ready to work 80 hours a week and make less than the servers do! You'll be expected to do everything from accounting work, human resource work! I was once yelled at by upper management on my second week on the job for not having enough workers. They told me "I better find some workers quick" when I suggested we just open in the evening because of staff shortages and overall quality suffering at the restaurant.

Pros

Cons

everything.

December 22, 2021
Thank you for your comments and taking the time to share on indeed with others searching for a service positions in the hospitality industry post covid 19. It has been challenging to open this hotel and develop a strong leadership team to provide the leadership, direction, tools and support to birth this fabulous Lakeside property in mid season. Cudo's and thanks to all who contributed to the tremendous effort!I apologize on behalf of ownership and the new management for these hardships and hope to build a strong foundation to support an engaged caring team that enjoys delivering excellent service for this Winter Carnival.

Toxic workplace

Management doesn’t lead or train properly. Most of the time workers are left to their own devices. If your friends with management outside of work you get special treatment. So it doesn’t matter how hard you work if your not on friendly terms.

Pros

Free lunch

Cons

Poor work management

December 22, 2021
I humbly apologize for the past sins that have plagued this new resort this past year. 2021 has been challenging for many. We hope to welcome in the New Year with a new team building an award winning employer of choice environment for all associates. We welcome all who are rewarded by delivering excellent guest service experiences.

Energetic work environment

If you are looking for a place to work where you can meet people from all over our country and even other countries, this is the place to be. Strike up a "where are you from conversation" with the guests will ignite terrific dialogue and you may find you have things in common with the guests. The work place is beautiful and brand new. Just like every company in the country, the staff is limited because it is so hard to hire people right now. But that also brings about terrific opportunities for anyone who is willing to work and looking for career advancement. The benefits package is excellent (medical, vision, dental) and there is an employee referral program as well that pays a nice bonus!

Pros

Beautiful and exciting environment right on the water.

Cons

Short staffed due to country wide hiring difficulties

December 22, 2021
Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. We appreciate your support. We are eager to engage continuous improvement processes and many new benefits, guest services and amenities growing this new resort in 2022.

Not Employee Friendly

General Manager doesn't treat employees properly. Expects one employee to do two to three jobs at a time with one job base rate. Will shame you in front of fellow employees and customers if its not to his liking. Managers dont help if it gets busy and avoid doing any hands on work.

December 22, 2021
We are building a new management team to help provide memorable guest experiences with excellent service rewarding a well trained engaged enthusiastic work team.

The employees

Upper management is terrible. There is poor communication down to employees. The GM is very dishonest and lacks leadership. Money is a constant problem with supporting the operations of the hotel. The building has major design flaws.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

Short staffing, everyone works overtime.

December 22, 2021
Thank you for your feedback The GM you refer to is no longer here. We have a new GM with a fresh outlook. He has been in the hospitality industry all over the world and we are optimistic with our new direction and employee programs.We are disappointed you have not had an optimal experience and we are endeavoring to improve the culture for all going forward.

I really enjoy the environment and people I work with.

This is a beautiful setting. The lake, loons, herons, bald eagles, geese and goslings make it all worthwhile. My days are busy and go by too quickly. I am excited to get to work each morning. There is a true spirit of "Team" here. Everyone helps each other. Everyone is approachable.

Pros

Employee meals, Pto, health benefits, etc.

Cons

When the hotel is at full occupancy, parking can be an issue. But I can walk to work on those days!

Too many managers, too few workers

This is absolutely the worst place to work. You are made to feel like you should never be seen, you are less than. When I quit they "made a mistake" and refused to pay me correctly. The worst management I've ever seen. The vibe is miserable and there is zero communication. If you work here you will be expected to work 3 plus positions for the pay of one.

Pros

Cons

Toxic work environment

Sinking Ship

Terrible culture. 5 managers for every worker, extremely disorganized and no clear communication. Managers have a bad attitude and treat the employees accordingly. I doubt this establishment will last more than a few years as it's already in financial hardship.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saranac Waterfront Lodge. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9 out of 5 stars for Compensation/Benefits

Learn about Saranac Waterfront Lodge in Saranac Lake, NY

• Saranac Waterfront Lodge
  • Saranac Lake, NY
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?