Sarasota Memorial Hospital Employee Reviews

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 28, 2019
Sarasota Memorial is a great place to work!
Very busy but proud to be a part of this team! Leadership is supportive of growth and tuition is reimbursed.
Pros
Tuition
enjoy both healthcare systems
Trauma/CVICU/ICU RN (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 21, 2019
I enjoy working for both HCA and SMH. Both have excellent, competent nurses and staff to care for patients. The internal dynamics of the systems are completely different.
Very fast pace fun place to work
EMPLOYEE HEALTH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 17, 2019
Enjoy meeting new employees, the fast pace of the environment, the hours, learning new things everyday. Moved out of state and now returned. Manager was great to work for wonderful Leadership skills. Always could go to her with anything.
Pros
Nurse on duty to see Sick Employees
Cons
Parking
Excellent Place to work
PATIENT REGISTRATION REP (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 16, 2019
Proud to be employed with SMH. It has a wonderful reputation of providing quality care with a smile. It is growing at a rapid pace, and it's exciting to be a part of it. Love the people I work with, and management in my department is awesome. Family comes first..very accomodating.
Pros
Great pay, co-workers, top notch employer
Cons
Congestion in and around Sarasota is a nightmare during season
Very Cut throat
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 16, 2019
Very unprofessional management and staff. HR doesn’t work for their employees, do what management tells them. No advancement opportunities unless you are a major butt kisser.
Pros
Pto
Cons
Management is horrible.
Ultrasound/Vascular Technologist (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 16, 2019
Great place to work. They take care of their employees. The main hospital, outpatient and Urgent Care centers all have amazing employees and the patients are wonderful.
Fun environment to work
Patient Safety Attendant (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMay 10, 2019
This hospital is great for patients to receive care. However, the staff needs more training in workmanship, partnership, dependency, reliability and support from each other.
Second review of same hospital
RN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 22, 2019
Would rather not work there again, tired of the hospital atmosphere. Everyone is writing everyone up and very stressful. There is not a team culture, everyones out for themselves.
Culture is everything
RN (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 22, 2019
Worked as a RN for 16 years in this establishment, over time saw many turnovers and worked on a floor where half the staff was let go at one time. In the beginning of my career, nursing was exciting and actually fun. Management over time began to change and everyone became more cut throat over every little micromanaged event. Not a bad place to work, but the culture has changed dramatically over the course of my career.
Organized workplace with plenty of support & resources.
RN Staff (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 22, 2019
I enjoyed working for SMH. I felt i was treated fairly & given all the resources needed to grow safely & professionally via continuing education, safeguards, management support etc. I would work here again.
great organization
Benefits Manager (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLApril 21, 2019
Large and growing and a great place to work. Very busy, but good supportive management. Top rated hospital with many awards. Employees, in general, are happy to be working there.
Bed Placement/Bedside Emergency Room Registrar (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FL 34239April 12, 2019
A typical place to work.
I registered patients who come in to the emergency room.
I get all their demographic information and their insurance information.
When Admitting close for the day it is up to me to assign beds to patients when they are being admitted.
Work close with the Social Worker and Nursing Supervisor.
Pros
Cafeteria's open late for 3rd shift employees.
Cons
I worked the 3rd shift we hardly got a break.
Great company
Case cart technician (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 25, 2019
Great company great benefits, i left because i was doing a postion that i didn't like to do.but overall the company was a great place to work, people were nice and knowledgeable.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Hours
large hospital
Clinical Assessment Nurse (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 20, 2019
Plenty of room for advancement. Near beaches, downtown and the theater. Safe neighborhood. You wont regret working there. most people have worked there for years.
Horrible management in the Operating Room
Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 13, 2019
The managers here dont care about MOST staff in the OR. The culture there is lead by poor behavior. Managers will walk by you and not say hello or answer you back if you greet them. Unfortunately, that allows others to act the same way and has become the norm. Managers allow people to behave poorly if they like them. The doctors are for the most part good to work with. There are nice employees here but the bad ones outweigh the kind ones. The pay is poor too. The day charge nurse is dreadful and screams all the time over the paging system! Annoying to say the least.
Pros
Cons
Poor management, horrible pay and health insurance
Productive and fun work place.
Bed Placement/Bedside Emergency Room Registrar (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FL 34239March 11, 2019
A typical day at work is register getting demographics and insurance from patient in the emergency room.
The workplace is healthcare.
The hardest part of the job is to have the patients provide the demographics when they are in a bad place and their is no family with patient.
Pros
No free meals How ever if you work the midnight shift the cafe is open.
Cons
Sometimes no breaks due to it is to busy.
CLINICAL CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 3, 2019
This is a Great place to work. It has won the Magnet hospital award from Medicare and Medicaid for the fourth time. Great career development. Team work
Watch your back!
Scheduler and Insurance Verification Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLMarch 3, 2019
As stated on other comments, SMH had good and bad departments to work in. I worked there previously under great management and co-workers! Wish I had never left that area! Upon returning as a rehire and working in scheduling it was a nightmare ! Micro managed so management would get their bonus. Was always stated in staff meetings if you don't agree with anything feel free to quit. Going to HR with concerns ... only makes your position worse as you are then a target for management ! There was no chance to be a team. Managers talked about staff and brought a whole new meaning to bulling! They will write you up without you even knowing! Sad to see this. Patients should know how employees must collect money and SMH's policy is NOT to refund a patient when they over collect money from them.
Pros
Seen a lot of excellent people come
Cons
Seen a lot of excellent people leave being mistreated and given bad references
our dept was self contained, with kitchen and bathroom
Patient Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 11, 2019
Hospital setting, faced paced, stressful, challenging. Management very accommodating to my schedule and my flexibility. Due to personal family challenges, I had to place my priorities at home.
Retired.
Cons
short breaks, or lack of breaks, and lack of communication
Magnet hospital treats patients well/ abuses the staff
STAFF NURSE (Former Employee) –  Sarasota, FLFebruary 2, 2019
Read through all the reviews. While many are positive, the poor reviews are not written by disgruntled employees that have a beef with the hospital. I witnessed first hand bullying & intimidation from management from the lowest to highest level, of which HR was well aware of, but doesn't resolve because this has been going on for years. There's poor flow to work environment, making staff work harder due to inefficiency. Since there's no state or federal law to protect employees who work call rotation, one risks working 24 hours straight through. Leadership called a stretcher in a patient care areas adequate sleep accommodations for on call staff when I worked there. One employee was told they could sleep in their car if they wanted a locking door. Want to leave and work somewhere else? You can't return because leadership will make you a "do not rehire" for leaving the hospital in the first place. I left because life was intolerable there. The feeling is mutual. I wouldn't want to go back unless they got rid of several managers that are well known for being problematic.
Pros
Frontline staff care for one another. Teamwork is survival in a hostile work environment, not obedience to authoritarianism.
Cons
Work excessively long periods of time without a break. If you clock out "no lunch", you get into trouble, so why bother?