Saratoga Casino Hotel Employee Reviews

A solid stepping stone
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYMarch 22, 2018
Overall I had a fairly positive experience at SCH. The people you work with are great across the board, and if you're willing to work as a team you can accomplish a lot. Certain outlets require great teamwork between line level staff and yourself, others it feels as if there's a wanted divide and an "us vs. them" mentality. I found teamwork across the board in all outlets works the most effectively. Weekends are fast paced, more so when harness racing is in session. Summers are the casino's prime making it almost impossible to get time off. It's basically a given you'll work 6 days a week at least once in the summer. This isn't so bad if you're on an hourly wage, salaried however is free labor for your entire shift which is fun!

The three biggest problems are the cons listed. Turnover rate is almost laughable property wide outside of a few select departments. As a new employee I got customers telling me they'd be surprised if I lasted 6 months. We had employees walk out on their first day on multiple occasions over my time, overall it's a very demanding environment and not for everybody. It's a casino so naturally the hours are poor. Line level employees are unionized so new employees get the worst hours, obviously that contributes to the turnover rate being so high.

Supervisor turnover is rather high for f and b specifically, while this derives from many things I would say the main things are long hours and lack of recognition and respect. Your typical day is 9+ hours at least and leaving early is frowned upon even if your work has been completed. Days where you know
  more... you'll be busy (NYE, Breeders cup, etc) will be 12 hour days easily. While this wasn't an issue for me I can't imagine working like this with a child as doing those hours are expected. Though the work is rewarding a lot of your motivation to go above and beyond must come from within as exceeding expectations is met with little praise. Your immediate co workers will appreciate it immensely, but nobody beyond that. Mistakes made are scolded versus being treated as a learning experience. If you do go above and beyond and do a good job you can feel as if you're getting punished as getting time off becomes ridiculously difficult even during the slow season. While another supervisor who may not be as strong can get time off granted fairly easy.

Communication is awful, with the employees at the line level being unionized there's a set way to do things such as award and cover shifts, etc. The issue is one week you'll cover a shift one way then next week you'll be told you were wrong in the way you covered the shift. The explanation will be very vague and very unhelpful as you try to learn this new magical procedure for shift coverage. A procedure that did not exist in months past but is now necessary. This then upsets the line level employees as they don't think you know how to do your job correctly, when in fact you were uninformed. Explain the situation and that there was no malicious intent, apologize and they're very kind, accepting and appreciative. That's just the tip of the iceberg for communication but explains the gist of it.

Overall SCH is a great stepping stone, you really do learn a lot and work with great people. I took a lot of pride is saying I worked here. You develop teamwork and a respect for the people you work with. It's definitely not for everybody. Working here is very rewarding and if you're the type of person who can set their own goals and feel accomplishment without compliment you'll do alright. My biggest advice would be to borrow a pair of blinkers that the horses running the track wear. If you have tunnel vision and focus on goals you set as well as goals set to appease the uppers, you'll do great. If your personal goals stray too far from the beating path or you attempt to better something that is seen as complacent, you may want to look elsewhere as ideas can go unheard.
Pros
Great co workers, fast paced environment
Cons
Poor upper management, high turnover rate, lack of communication
Productive and fun workplace
Vapor Event Host (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJanuary 4, 2018
Saratoga Casino Hotel is a great place to work. The environment is very friendly and you get to know your patrons and guests on a personal level. All the co workers are friendly and work together as a team to accomplish goals.
Do not work as commissary!
Commissary Clerk (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYOctober 18, 2017
I worked as a commissary porter for just over a year and it wasn’t bad at first but after awhile it was a drag! They constantly call on you to do other people’s work, they do not want you to advance if your commissary because no one wants to do all the work. Everything breaks down like the ice machines you use and it makes it hard becuase special places need certain kinds of ice, or the freight elevator was broken for two months and we had to push tens of thousands of dollars of product across the casino floor onto a personal elevator then thro two sets of doors on a u-boat each week.They are short staffed and everyone is lazy including some managers. It is laid back at points but then you get in trouble for getting all your work done early and not having anything to do during the week. Weekends on the other hand you will be busy trying to keep up. Good luck to the next commissary porter
Pros
Free food if you know people
Cons
Don’t work here
An good place to work. Difficult hours
Bartender/Server (Current Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYJuly 6, 2017
Staff is nice to work with. Management as well. Guests are enjoyable. It is difficult to get insurance benefits and a better schedule. All in all an enjoyable place to work.
Favorite job by far
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saratoga Springs, NYMay 28, 2017
I enjoyed my time working at the casino, When you walk through the doors and clock in, you're part of a family. You're part of a team. There's a lot of things I enjoyed about working there, and it's not just the dining area just for team members. It's not the union positions, or the free drinks. It's that everyone is smiling, and having fun. Working where people go to have fun lightens your spirits in itself.
Pros
2$ lunches, free drinks, union positions
Cons
extremely short breaks

Want to know more about Saratoga Casino Hotel?

Ask a question

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Saratoga Casino Hotel. Our community is ready to answer.

Saratoga Casino Hotel Reviews by Location