Sargent & Lundy

Sargent & Lundy Employee Reviews

United States143 reviews
Great place to work, Chattanooga office. Just be sure to get the salary and position you want going in, because you will get passed up often for promotions. Even when you do outstanding work, they will hire / promote people with less qualifications in over you.
I worked for twenty years of which 17 was great. But a lot changed in the last few years as far as the culture and attitude of most employees. The newer CEO, CFO, and CIO, were responsible and mist employees recognized this. Employees were, and still are, leaving but the company hides this fact by classifying employees as consultants.
Pros
Can’t think of any
Cons
Bad culture, executives, management
The company is located in a great area in downtown Chicago. It is very convenient for commuting.
The company has many quality control processes in place. Employees are encouraged to support and maintain an error free workplace.
Company has been around 125 years, and it's obvious they are doing something right with upper management. The culture is tough, but so is the industry, they are currently trying to improve their workplace attitude. I hope for the best for them.
For a private engineering firm, S&L provides personal growth for your career. Managers and VPs have an open door policy and any question is never left unanswered. I had a great time working there and I felt I was apart of a team.
Leave a review. Help people like you.
Great benefits, productive group with job security. No room for advancement. Very little diversity. Management micromanages and is very hard to work with- no team mentality or coaching.
Benefits
Cons
No room for advancement, no team approach
Overall, this is a good firm to learn the basics of the industry. The shortcoming is that this company is not a fun workplace.
Very outdated in terms of technologies. Hope it will improve in future.
As Sargent & Lundy provides a engineering service to our clients the work is challenging and ever changing. One day you are working on your normal assignment and the next here may be an emergent issue with our client and you are needed to change your task.
Management is severely lacking here -- it's all nepotism and who you know, not what you know. You'll be worked into the ground and promised advancement, never to see it, especially not financially. They pay well but do not give good advances beyond initial salary. It's a dead end company with nothing to offer unless you're a recent grad seeking work and training. This is essentially a farm for that sort of training of young grads.
Poor company to work for overall. Cut throat coworkers. Coworkers are already in packs that If you don’t workout/run, drink, male and 35 years old. This is not the company for you. No promotions. No raises. management is poor.
I worked may 60 hour weeks, and made six figures. It is easy to burn out. The company provides a good structure for new engineers in terms of calculation preparation.
Staff member left employment at 1B fossil fuel power gen system upgrade. I was given office training on software tools for project administration and safety for on site PM support. I had a great director and supporting staff. I would recommend S&L to friends and family members.
Pros
Supportive startup and followup
Cons
Coal plant projects stopped under Obama's war on coal
Ok, I didn't hate working here - the working class folks were good friends - but this place has absolutely no company culture and upper management treats it's employees like profit generating cogs. It's an unhealthy work environment for anyone. There is no investment in you, there is only a system of processes that, while perhaps very strong 40 years ago, hasn't been evolved over time. As a result, the work is done to the best of the 1970s and investments in modern engineering technology are not just inadvertently neglected, but actively avoided. Technical ability isn't rewarded, and those who are too technical are looked down upon by HR and upper management. If you're one of the few who are chosen at birth as worthy of a bullet-proofed (not an exaggeration) corner office and if you are willing to wait it out for 30 years after being sent, multiple times and without your family, on work assignments to some of the most ungodly places on earth, there is a chance that you might be rewarded for your longevity in the system and be made a partner. No doubt, it's good to be a partner among the 1% of individuals working at the firm that have any ownership stake (which is a very low ownership rate for an engineering firm). Otherwise, a technically capable but not venerated individual can expect to advance to a mid-level manager position where you will languish for eternity with no opportunity to develop, earning a salary and bonus that sharply lags that of peer firms.

This company has impressive infrastructure, has cornered it's markets with several key utilities by cutting rates
 - more...
Pros
Interesting projects, decent entry level pay, market is not correllated to the economy
Cons
Just a depressing way to live your life
If like being away from home or when your home being called in or cursed continuously this is the place for you. Absolutely the worst atmosphere I've ever experienced.
Pros
Pay benefits
Cons
Managers are the worst
I was hired for six month contract but over 5 years later I quit. I agreed to no benefits as they negotiated it was short term. However, it was not and I was not properly compensated. I inquired about advancement but the layoffs happened regularly and therefore there was no room for further negotiation. I do believe if you plan to interview as an engineer the work and benefits are good. As an office employee they are not. The office culture is not good either.
Learning everyday is the best part of the job. Striving for a better tomorrow while building on a foundation of solid practices and procedures. Eagerly accepting challenges as they come along.
I have been with S&L for over 15 years and have worked directly with literally hundreds of people across multiple office locations. I cannot say enough great things about this company. For me what has always had the most lasting impact is how employees here genuinely care about their work, their clients, and each other.

Let’s start with the people. I have relationships with my coworkers that extend outside the office, which is what everyone should hope for in their job. You will meet people here with whom you’ll create lifetime relationships. These are people who will be at your weddings. At your baby showers. At your backyard summer parties. When you have achievements in your personal life, good and bad, you will have S&L people there with you. They will become a part of your life.

On to the job. So many people have been here for decades. Decades! This isn’t a start-up. Do you want to learn and build an established and respected career? This is the place to be. If you need help, just turn around and someone is ready to help. And our employees are not merely performing work; they are speaking at international conferences to educate others about the work we perform. You will be working alongside those very people. You can easily become one of those people. Having been with the company for this long, it’s really fun to watch it happen.

And let’s talk about the changes that are happening. Our CEO rules and our leadership team is capturing new work in so many new areas it’s unreal. Our industry is evolving, and S&L is quickly leveraging these changes to launch into directions
 - more...
Pros
Ridiculously good benefits, including company-supported activities/sports.
The work was stressful and at times the work environment wasn't the best but the benefits made up for it as well as PTO. They provided opportunities to work in many diverse projects and you could join many recreational leagues with fellow coworkers. It is in a great location.
Pros
Cons
long work hours
I got great experience working at S&L right out of college. They taught me how to be a real engineer and understand what is needed from the client's perspective. The only con is that you might have to work for someone who doesn't motivate you and does not respect you. But I think that might be true everywhere.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Sometimes you get too involved with your project that your forget you have a life outside of work.
A typical work day at S&L is just like any typical engineering firm no big difference in this dept.

Meeting and Community meetings are usually things to attend. The company is full of knowledge and this is where the learning and insights is best absorbed.

Management is just helpful and full of knowledge.

the hardest part of life at S&L is time & scheduling, deadlines are short, very short and the workload is high. The PDS department has been growing the last couple of years but it seems that not enough help was procured for the amount of work that is being brought in.
Pros
Paid lunch meetings, Medical is one of the best.
Sargent & Lundy was the best company I have ever worked. Management was excellent, people were recognized for doing a good job, living in downtown Chicago was fantastic!
Pros
Great Management
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sargent & Lundy. Our community is ready to answer.
Ratings from women
2.7
InHerSight Score
2.7Personal Development
2.7Career Opportunities
2.9Family Support
Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight