Sasha Bruce Youthwork Employee Reviews

Provides great entry leevl opportunities
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 5, 2018
This agency provides opportunites to begina career in youth services. You definitely have to have a passion for working with youth specifically at risk populations.
Pros
provides a wealth of youth engagement experience
Cons
Lack of support from upper managment
A job where helping others was imperative
Outreach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 25, 2018
As a Case Manager, I was assigned a caseload of 10 clients in which In had to meet with on a regular basis to help them resolve issues that were occurring in their lives.
Pros
Helping clients to conquer their goals.
Cons
Sometimes long and extended hours.
Worse experience at a non profit organization ever
Counselor / Social Work Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DC 20003June 13, 2018
I would never recommend this organization to anyone. The director and CEO are fake and do not truly care about the cause of the population they serve. Do not trust the Program Director she is not genuine, compassionate, and rather rude. I learned nothing about being a professional social worker from this organization.
Pros
You get to help and impact the juvenile population
Felt fulfillment in my life.
Prevention Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 20, 2018
Well balanced with work and personal life. Was a respectful work place. Provided good services for the youth and communities of the District of Columbia.
Pros
Enjoyable place to work.
Cons
Could be stressful at times.
Very productive enviorment
Youth Advocate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 1, 2018
I really enjoyed working with Sasha Bruce because all of my co workers were extremely passionate about there job and commited to helping the youth they gave me a passion to learn
Culturally diverse
Family Support Specialist/Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 28, 2017
Challenging, exciting experience to work with the homeless youth of the Nations Capital. ]. I have committed the last ten years of my career to serving communities as a mental health professional and clinical psychologist, most recently with Sasha Bruce Youthwork in Washington, D.C.

In my role as a Family Support Specialist, I provide outstanding client service to the youth and families seeking support from the nonprofit.
Pros
salary, weekends off, team building, clinical supervision
Cons
Short breaks, lack of leadership
It was a good experience for the most part.
Conflict Resolution Specialist (Summer Position) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 2, 2017
I have worked in this industry for many years now, i found the interview technique interesting. I had never experienced a group interview before interviewing with Sasha Bruce
Pros
They are helping youth.
Cons
A strong need for qualified male employees
Overall
Employee (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCDecember 21, 2016
The organization does a lot of great work but the employees are not appreciated. The structure of the organization needs to be redone. They are reactive with a lot of tings instead of being proactive.
Decent Experience... Unorganized.
Case Manager (Intern) (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 8, 2016
I interned here for 6 months and enjoyed working with the youth in the facility. However, there was a lack of structure in dealing with the youth. The youth sometimes ran the house.
Pros
Great exposure to a diverse group of young adults
Cons
Not very organized
A good organization to make a difference
Program Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 14, 2016
I spent a year working for this organization as a Site coordinator. This organization does really great social justice and humanitarian work in DC and I would recommend it to anybody trying to make a difference in the world.

I came here as part of a fellowship so I can't say too much about the compensation and benefits.
Pros
meaningful work, lots of job sites
Cons
The organizational structure seems a bit chaotic

Want to know more about Sasha Bruce Youthwork?

Ask a question
Great Model to assisted troubled youth, however lacks in communication
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  WashingtonMay 24, 2016
The organization of Sasha Bruce is a well-oiled machine. The organization does a good job in assisting troubled youth in the DMV. However, I believe the organization could be more in terms of life skills for the youth. Provide more workshops and maybe have some success stories come back and talk to residents.

The communication here is lacking. This organization needs a system of communication from management to residential counselors. Often, discussions are held between mid and senior management and not to the residential counselor.
Pros
A great place to gain experience, however the compensation could be based on experience and education
Cons
The process to become full time is too slow and cause an employee to feel devalued.
fun and diverse
Case Manager/Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DC 20003February 24, 2016
This company is one of the funniest companies I worked for. Never a dull moment. You can tell its a passion to help these children
I love it
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 7, 2015
I love it so far . Interacting with the teens is different but I enjoy it. Management cares about the well being of the clients and there employees.
Pros
working with the teen population.
Cons
none so far.
Productive in legislative and clinical change with homeless and runaway youth
Executive Advocacy and Clinical Management Fellow (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 23, 2015
My experience ranged from administrative duties from grant writing, writing needs assessments, attending relevant hearings to clinical management at the Bruce House Program.
Pros
Valuable Learning Experience
Cons
Busy, Not complete supervision
good starter home
Assistant Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 23, 2015
I believe that Sasha Bruce is a good place for those who are just starting in the social services field. At the organization, you will have room to hone your craft and there is also room for advancement. However, because of the lack of structure and financial limitations, there may not be in longevity.
Great social service company
Operation Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 15, 2014
Provide homes and services for Homeless young people in the Washington, DC Metro area. The best co-workers in the area in this field.The best part of this job is to see how young people come to life when they have the security of a place to called home and the support they need to move forward in their life.
it was very active
Youth Counselor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 19, 2013
a day at work was an experience of a lifetime the kids participated in our testing and functions my coworkers where extremely helpful and thats a plus there wasnt really a part to hard i love the work and the enviroment
Provide outreach and information to youth of the District
Peer Educator/Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 19, 2013
Typical day at work consisted of checking emails, updating the program's social media, keeping inventory of the supplies, data entry, filing folders. Often times we facilitated groups on different topics. For example, self-esteem, pride, and safe sex. We taught a lot of people about the risks of unsafe sex. I was able to get along with co-workers very well and also my supervisors. The hardest part about the job was getting past the attitudes of the youth who weren't really interested in what we were trying to teach them. The most enjoyable part of the job was reaching out the youth who were really interested in hearing what we had to say and having the youth remember us when we come back to their area.
Flexible schedule which provides a lot of on the job training
Outreach Counselor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 1, 2013
This agency has a variety of programs but I worked at one the school based programs while assisting with the community programs during the summer. You have to always be prepared for the unexpected because things change day to day, but because of this you must be flexible and know how to think on your feet. You will gain a lot of meaningful experience and encounter co-workers and superiors who are concerned with your personal and professional growth. However, there is a high turn around in terms of employment and permanency is a true problem within the agency. There is room for growth but not much opportunity to move up the ladder. The time that is spent working with the youth is amazing, but sometimes poor communication with program managers can create a struggle along with the financial troubles that arise frequently.
Fun work enviroment
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 27, 2013
A typical day at work I would go to court, make home visits, school checks and curfew checks.
Pros
watching the youth become successful.
Cons
watching not rising to their potenial.