Sasol Employee Reviews

Sasol is a good place to work.
TOP OPERATOR (Current Employee) –  LouisianaApril 9, 2018
Sasol was good to me and offered excellent benefits. Advancement was slow, but possible. Management was fair, and offered programs and opportunities for children.
I love my job.
Materials - Lead Journeyman (Current Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAMarch 19, 2018
Co-workers are friends with my estranged husband, making it difficult for me. My job is second nature. It's the conflicting interests that are hard on me.
Good place
Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 5, 2018
The company is a good employer and in general terms I would recommend it. That said, the company seems to invest a lot of money unnecessarily in projects that go nowhere but that is a corporate profit/loss problem, not one that will affect employees unless the project you are working on is cancelled.......
IT department and PMO Poor
SAP Data and Test Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 1, 2018
The IT and PMO have poor methodology. The business bulldozes over any IT policies. Poor leadership from IT and PMO. People in management are not proactive though team members scramble to please reactionary decisions.
Pros
Pay and other team members who are talented
Cons
Managers don't fight for proper IT policies to be used, The business bulldozes IT department to get its way.
Great place to work but...
Research and Development (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAFebruary 17, 2018
Sasol has competitive salaries and great benefits. The hours aren't bad and they give more than average paid time off. The problem they face is there is little employee development and advancement. Also due to bureaucratic roadblocks from having a headquarters in another country, innovation and creativity is stifled and inefficiency is commonplace. Here company politics trumps any written policies (most policies have the caveat "This policy is also subject to management discretion"). This is a great place to gain industry experience, but most exceptional employees rarely stay to make a career.
Pros
Decent pay, good family/work life, lots of paid time off, job security, good benefits
Cons
Advancement and development are basically non-existent, management bureaucracy is a major innovation hindrance.
Safety highly considered
Millwright (Current Employee) –  Twistdraai shaftFebruary 17, 2018
Safety is sasol's number one priority.All employees try by all means to do SLAM before the beginning of each job and the Job Safety Analysis JSA which determines the steps to do the job safely.
Pros
Cons
No breaks! Production all hours
Peers have been supportive
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 8, 2018
stay on top of contractor to push IFC deliverables, on suppliers to push equipment delivery, on quality & surveillance reports to look for anomallies to administer corrective actions.
Issues with potential schedule & cost impact will be explored with engineers, procurement and related disciplines for a range of available options with estimated costs to assess pathforward.
Pros
Stay focus on the end game of project completion
Cons
Can't take my eyes off the contractor
Lots of Opportunity for Growth
Document Control Analyst / Turnaround Coordination (Current Employee) –  Westlake, LA 70669December 14, 2017
If you like an ever-changing environment, Sasol is a great place to work. They are a facility full of growth and opportunity. People are willing to come together to achieve a common goal to create a working family.
Sometimes could be stressing
Logistics/ Warehouseman (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZDecember 11, 2017
I enjoyed working there but sometimes it was stressing. The employees made it difficult and placed more work on one individual. The good part was that the supervisor would let you leave if an emergency came up. They would also have meals and different event. Prizes and accessories.
Pros
Time off when needed
Cons
Working around dust
Good Company with Growth Potential
Consultant - Financial Data & Analytics (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXDecember 10, 2017
New North American Projects which will increase EBITDA and capitalize on Eagle Ford NGL investment.

International Company does have issues with a lack of globalization and misses opportunities for synergies.
Benefits
Cons
Split Culture Between North America and International
Relaxed
SAP SD Consultant (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXAugust 30, 2017
Working with SASOL is stress free. We feel relaxed to work here. Good working environment with best facilities. We feel blessed to work here............
Good safe place to work
A Operator (Former Employee) –  Steam PlantAugust 24, 2017
I worked the last 20 years as an AOperator I was in charge keeping the boilers which was a big part of the power supply to the Ethylene unit running.I was in charge of products being loaded and shipped by rail car,Over the ASU which is the activated sludge unit.Had many setups for boiler TAR ,tank cleaning,training operators.Over the boiler feed water system , the water treatment system and worked temporary shift foreman.
Management Inexperienced and Emotionally Driven in Decision Making
Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 29, 2017
Company has variation in decision making and no method to the madness. Employees are not utilized for their expertise, but rather as a "seat filler". Steer clear of this company if you seek advancement.
Solid project with issues with S.A. management
Project Control Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 31, 2017
Good place to work. South African management personnel could not realize how projects in US are run. Poor Job Work/Life balance attitude. Team under me were very good and tried their best to comply with demands from S.A. management. Schedule assigned to the project one of the best in the industry. Cost Controller very hard worker and understood what was required from him.
Pros
Mega Project
Cons
Job Work /Life balance
Summary
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXMarch 6, 2017
Several years of regulatory coordinating with several companies while providing updates and recommendations to management team as it relates to oil and gas regulations and rules.
Truly loved working for Sasol
Lead Accounting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westlake, LAJune 19, 2016
Great team culture that oriented toward delivering a good product to our clients. Very focused on safety and the environment. Truly loved the people I worked with and the benefits.
Good place to learn
Associate Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 1, 2016
You will get plenty experience on this place. Good hard working people but it can be very frustrating sometimes because this is a good fast pace enviroment.
Pros
Low pay
Cons
really fast pace
good
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXMay 6, 2016
I have been working from last 3 months for SASOL
No work pressure
as of now every thing is fine
Work culture and environment is good
Great work enviroment
Chemist I (Former Employee) –  Lake Charles, LAApril 21, 2016
Overall...a good company, good people and they genuinely care for their employees. Everyone works well together to accomplish each others goals.
Loved working here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXApril 4, 2016
This was my first job in the petrochemical O&G arena and I loved it. I learned a ton as they often provided a high level of training. They do have an unorthodox why of utilizing their ERP system (SAP), but the people they employ are intelligent and friendly.
Pros
good pay and location
Cons
non-standard use of SAP

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sasol. Our community is ready to answer.