SAVAGE Employee Reviews

stressful, dangerous, and way underpaid 18.00 hr
Driver/Fueler (Former Employee) –  North Salt Lake, UTOctober 18, 2018
waste of time. consistently dealing with rail yards and them yelling at you because there are 6 yards and only one truck and all need fuel.

12 hour shifts that rotate and days off are not together.

management doesn't care. and even lie about things to keep you on.

overall not worth the pay for hazmat and tanker and dealing with moving trains next to you while fueling
Coal Handling
Coal Handler (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COOctober 14, 2018
Decent pay for the jobs that you do. All employees throw each other under the bus cause they think it’s going to get them somewhere with the company. If you’re an alcoholic and from Rye, Colorado you’ll move right up the corporate ladder.
Pros
DUI’s in company trucks are acceptable
Cons
DUI’s in company trucks are acceptable
Rewiew
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDOctober 12, 2018
I really totally enjoyed working for Savage. They looked out for there employees. I would do payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable for two different departments, Plus the invoices and new hiring.
Underpaid for the amount of hours and work to be completed
Laborer (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 4, 2018
Under paid non motivated preech about safety would rather loose employees instead of trying to helping current employees. Always keeps a high expectation on employees.
They fix your truck for you
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Coushatta, LASeptember 12, 2018
You haul coal from one place to another and just do circles all day long. It takes about 1 hour per load. You get paid per load not per mile. You pre-trip your truck every morning then get your day started you have to pick up your first load at 3am.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
You never leave your truck
Culture Vs Reality
manager (Current Employee) –  USASeptember 11, 2018
The companies vision and legacy statement is a powerful document, if it was followed. I was a manager and was tasked with a very specific set of tasks. I would advise leadership on why task had to be done a certain way to be legal and I was just ignored. I asked for opportunities to grow, as outlined in the vision and legacy statement, and I was told no. Eventually I was told they are going to relocate me to a state with worse schools, higher taxes and different licensing requirements for my wife (medical professional), to top it off there was not change in compensation and I was told the move would be on my own dime.

I was forced to resign and was promptly escorted out of the building without being able to pack my personal effects.

The "culture" is only adhered to when it is convenient or can seal a deal with a prospective customer. It is only a matter of time until something really bad happens, again.
Cons
high stress, management doesn't listen, Men's club, good old boys club
One of the best companies anywhere
Operations Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2018
Savage Services is one of the best companies you'll find anywhere. They are managed well and they educate and compensate their employees well. Very professional and their customers form long lasting relationships with Savage due to their top quality performances in all aspects of their services. I wish I never would have left there.
Pros
Professional, opportunities for career growth
Cons
A few "clicks" among longer-tenured employees can sometimes leave you feeling excluded
Stay far away!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 1, 2018
They tell you one thing and do just the opposite. Would not recommend to my worst enemy. Rail division has no clue about the industry. Mission statement is not followed at all but they say they do all the time which makes you want to throw up. I saw first hand daily how poorly they treat their very valuable experienced employees. Say they want a healthy work balance, be prepared to work 14-16 hrs, 6-7 days a week. Do not drink the Savage Kool Aid-it’s poison!!!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lies and absolutely no work life balance!!
Lack of help
Labor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 27, 2018
Only 3 people worked their the manger one other and the secretary. Too much for just one person. They will call people in to help but not all the time.
Pros
Non
Cons
Only one person working
Great company overall
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJuly 14, 2018
I only had and issue with a manager or I would still be with this company. I started at the bottom and was moved up into a supervisor role with in a year. Great opportunities and help developing a career.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
none really
Get their money worth out of you plus
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Melvindale, MIJune 18, 2018
Lived at work for my salary. Company history and culture are based on great expectations and the company tries to maintain it. But we as salary employees aren't the owners and shouldn't be expected to live at work.
Bad Management
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Newport, DEJune 4, 2018
It's a small office. Coworkers were nice and friendly.
The work was good, but not for the money.
The immediate manager didn't know how to manage.
Pros
Enjoyed working with coworkers
Cons
Bad managment
Great coworkers, management and working atmosphere.
Team Member (Current Employee) –  UtahMay 29, 2018
I love the people that I work with at Savage. They are all great people and make work more enjoyable. My managers have always been very respectful and willing to help me succeed. I enjoy coming to work each day and I feel appreciated by my coworkers. I feel the company tries hard to create a safe and family oriented atmosphere. Also, the company keeps growing which gives me comfort in having a stable job for many years. I have never been happier at any other job than here at Savage.
Fun and fast paced
Team Member (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTMay 25, 2018
Savage is a great company with a great culture but be prepared to work hard. Great place for career advancement and to make a difference. If you like a challenge and want to be fairly compensated I would recommend
Secure and Challenging Place to work
Business Manager (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UTMay 24, 2018
Great place to work with solid culture. Secure place to work that is challenging and fun. Always something to do. Manage your time wisely. However, you can achieve a good work / life balance.
Pros
Vacation, benefits, good pay, competitive, challenging, collaborative
Cons
No structured advancement process (contribute as best you can for the team)
Solid company with a bright future
Director (Current Employee) –  LouisianaMay 10, 2018
Savage has the size, stability and balance sheet to give you the comfort that it isn't going away. And yet, it's organized into autonomous business units and operations that give it a small-company / entrepreneurial feel.

Great people that want to do the right thing, in balance, for the company, the customers and the employees. Not a cutthroat environment, but there's a continual push to improve and find a better way.

We are facing some struggles as we grow from a small family business to a large, scaleable enterprise. But we're navigating the transition well, all things considered.
cut throat
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Elko, NV 89801May 2, 2018
very cut throat. Several different shifts. Shifts starting between 1-4 am. Tankers too slick in winter to climb on top of to open up lids. Hoses extremely heavy
Terrible all over
Driver/slave (Former Employee) –  Cuddy, PAApril 23, 2018
If you are a person that's into sitting around for below par pay surrounded by immature managers and crew members. Then this is the place for you. If you want organization room for advancement a GOOD pay. Decent equipment.dont waste your time. If you're a person that wants to sit playing on your phone 95% of the day and make less that 18 bucks an hour. Sign up and enjoy.
Pros
A place for the lazy worthless morons to thrive
Cons
Everything. Savage dropped the ball on this business venture
It's a shame...
Tech (Former Employee) –  N Canton, OHApril 19, 2018
It's a ok company if you're Caucasian. previous manager at N. Canton branch was a great person but new manager is not if you're a person of color. Watch your back if you do get on board.. it probably won't last long... he will find a way to terminate you... but keep a number...
Pros
Cons
Main manager
Savage Transportation Williston. ND
Crude Oil Driver (Former Employee) –  Trenton, NDApril 17, 2018
Watch your back. You are responsible for your actions. Even if it’s not your fault you will be held accountable. That adds up and used against you. Other than that I would still be there. Good safety culture. Highly recommend working there. Can’t be more honest than that.
Pros
Good pay and benefits. Good Manager
Cons
Took housing allowance away

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAVAGE. Our community is ready to answer.

See reviews about

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.3

2.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight