SAVAGE Employee Reviews

Great company to work for
Locomotive Fuel Technician / Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Pembroke, KYDecember 8, 2018
Great company to work for, They truly care about their people and always treat them fair. They continue to grow and diversify, Someone who is willing to work hard, will have all opportunities to excel.
Mixed Feelings about working here
Office assistant (Current Employee) –  Midvale, UtahDecember 8, 2018
Coal industry is failing and the CEO makes you think every day that you are loosing your job. Does anonymous surveys to make the company better but then calls you out on what was supposed to be anonymous. Love the Brothers that started the company but its not the same.
Pros
Cafe on site, friendly coworkers, hours, beautiful building
Cons
pay, advancement, no notice when job changes, Management treated differently then employess that do the work.
Overworked and Underpaid
Core Service Supervisor (Former Employee) –  UTDecember 6, 2018
First the amount of work you do for the pay is unreal. Second, management is just a group of overpaid baby sitters that offer the overworked staff no help. You will be called into pointless meeting after meeting. Jordan is one of the newer clueless managers/babysitters, watch out for him. Overall if you want a stressful underpaid job join Savage/core services.
Pros
You do get a pay check
Cons
Poor worklife balance, salary, poor management, technology is very out of date
enthusiastic,hillarious energetic environment
Operator (Former Employee) –  Port Arthur, TXNovember 9, 2018
Provided me and my family with 3 years of financial security.
the opportunity I experienced was awesome. a lot of knowledge and talent was there for me to learn and grow. they provided me with everything I needed to succeed. honestly was the best job and experience that I have had to date.
Great job overall
CDL DRIVER (Former Employee) –  La Marque, TXNovember 8, 2018
Savage is a great employment opportunity for someone with little to no experience driving a hazmat tanker. I consider it an entry level job in the aforementioned category. If you are content with being only a driver, then you could be there as long as you please. If you have aspirations of advancement, Savage doesn't offer much in that area, as the LaMarque operation is fairly small.
Hazmat Driver
Hazmat Driver (Former Employee) –  La Marque, TXNovember 8, 2018
Transport Sulfur from Refinary to offloading facility at various locations in the Houston area.
The job pays you by the load, and you typically make around $200 to $280 a day. This is a slip seating position and the trucks are abused and dirty. Stay far away from this job unless you need the experience. Dealing with Sulfur sucks and it stinks, get on your uniform and skin...you smell like stinky Sulfur when you go home.
12 hour shifts x 6 days a week working either night shift starting at 5 PM to 5am or day shift.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
Slip seating, hours worked and Sulfur
slow
Tankerman (Former Employee) –  Gibson, LAOctober 26, 2018
underpaid and overworked, easy money but there are a whole bunch of other places that respect their employees better. would not recommend this company
Good Company to work for (very religious).
Business Development Manager/Sales (Former Employee) –  Midvale, UTOctober 25, 2018
For the most part I really enjoyed my job and the family culture of Savage Services. They were very balanced between work and family. They definitely invested and reinvested into their employees.

Towards the end of my career there, it was obvious that they were really striving to make sure that upper management was of the same religious belief that they were. Also, they wanted the majority of upper management to live in Utah or be willing to relocate there.
Pros
Great family work balance
Cons
The Mormon/religious silent expectation
low pay
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Martinez, CAOctober 22, 2018
To much work for the pay rate. Small staff so you have to enjoy working alone in an office. Management were respectable and very nice, easy to work with. Listening to other staff complain was very hard.
Pros
Paid on time
Cons
paid low rate
stressful, dangerous, and way underpaid 18.00 hr
Driver/Fueler (Former Employee) –  North Salt Lake, UTOctober 18, 2018
waste of time. consistently dealing with rail yards and them yelling at you because there are 6 yards and only one truck and all need fuel.

12 hour shifts that rotate and days off are not together.

management doesn't care. and even lie about things to keep you on.

overall not worth the pay for hazmat and tanker and dealing with moving trains next to you while fueling
Rewiew
Office Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Dickinson, NDOctober 12, 2018
I really totally enjoyed working for Savage. They looked out for there employees. I would do payroll, accounts receivable and accounts payable for two different departments, Plus the invoices and new hiring.
Cdl driver
Locomotive fueler (Current Employee) –  PennsylvaniaOctober 12, 2018
Okay job, pays low compared to other driving jobs in the industry requiring tanker and hazmat experience.

Hardest part of the job is dealing with workers who make the job harder then it should be
Pros
overtime
Cons
not enough on hourly rate
Underpaid for the amount of hours and work to be completed
Laborer (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 4, 2018
Under paid non motivated preech about safety would rather loose employees instead of trying to helping current employees. Always keeps a high expectation on employees.
They fix your truck for you
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Coushatta, LASeptember 12, 2018
You haul coal from one place to another and just do circles all day long. It takes about 1 hour per load. You get paid per load not per mile. You pre-trip your truck every morning then get your day started you have to pick up your first load at 3am.
Pros
Free uniforms
Cons
You never leave your truck
Culture Vs Reality
manager (Current Employee) –  USASeptember 11, 2018
The companies vision and legacy statement is a powerful document, if it was followed. I was a manager and was tasked with a very specific set of tasks. I would advise leadership on why task had to be done a certain way to be legal and I was just ignored. I asked for opportunities to grow, as outlined in the vision and legacy statement, and I was told no. Eventually I was told they are going to relocate me to a state with worse schools, higher taxes and different licensing requirements for my wife (medical professional), to top it off there was not change in compensation and I was told the move would be on my own dime.

I was forced to resign and was promptly escorted out of the building without being able to pack my personal effects.

The "culture" is only adhered to when it is convenient or can seal a deal with a prospective customer. It is only a matter of time until something really bad happens, again.
Cons
high stress, management doesn't listen, Men's club, good old boys club
One of the best companies anywhere
Operations Financial Manager (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTAugust 11, 2018
Savage Services is one of the best companies you'll find anywhere. They are managed well and they educate and compensate their employees well. Very professional and their customers form long lasting relationships with Savage due to their top quality performances in all aspects of their services. I wish I never would have left there.
Pros
Professional, opportunities for career growth
Cons
A few "clicks" among longer-tenured employees can sometimes leave you feeling excluded
Stay far away!!!
Manager (Former Employee) –  LouisianaAugust 1, 2018
They tell you one thing and do just the opposite. Would not recommend to my worst enemy. Rail division has no clue about the industry. Mission statement is not followed at all but they say they do all the time which makes you want to throw up. I saw first hand daily how poorly they treat their very valuable experienced employees. Say they want a healthy work balance, be prepared to work 14-16 hrs, 6-7 days a week. Do not drink the Savage Kool Aid-it’s poison!!!
Pros
Salary
Cons
Lies and absolutely no work life balance!!
Lack of help
Labor (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYJuly 27, 2018
Only 3 people worked their the manger one other and the secretary. Too much for just one person. They will call people in to help but not all the time.
Pros
Non
Cons
Only one person working
Great company overall
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Williston, NDJuly 14, 2018
I only had and issue with a manager or I would still be with this company. I started at the bottom and was moved up into a supervisor role with in a year. Great opportunities and help developing a career.
Pros
Career advancement
Cons
none really
Get their money worth out of you plus
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Melvindale, MIJune 18, 2018
Lived at work for my salary. Company history and culture are based on great expectations and the company tries to maintain it. But we as salary employees aren't the owners and shouldn't be expected to live at work.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SAVAGE. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.3InHerSight Score

2.2Personal Development

2.0Career Opportunities

2.6Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight