Savannah College of Art and Design Employee Reviews

productive work place
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 12, 2018
Great place to work in with the right management very competitive and thriving environment. so i would recommend anyone to work for this company in the future.
Cool Place fun ppl
Line Chef (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 3, 2018
Great place to work a lot fun ppl and students good pay benefits easy work no long hours .respect from mangers and employees. easy menu and access to scad
Interesting School
Graduation Auditor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 14, 2018
Able to work with talented students and enjoy seeing interesting art and people. Back office staff overlooked by management. Loved meeting students and families.
Pros
able to help talented students and meet interesting people
Cons
unfairness to staff
High Turnover/ Low Morale
Administrative - Physical Resources (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2018
High turnover, low morale do not heed well for the team environment here. If you want work/life balance and management that actually knows anything about their field, don't come here.
Good start for international students
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 19, 2018
As an international student I am only allowed to work at school. The work environment was very relaxed. I was able to manage my work time which is good for students.
Stressful but still a learning environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 18, 2018
A typical day at work was based on your style and how well certain people approved of you.
The most enjoyable part of the job was leaving at the end of a stressful work day.
work experience
3D shop monitor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 4, 2018
the main duty for me is Assisting professors in foundation studies at SCAD to help freshmen year students or who has problem to make or use the equipment there and also help them to realize their ideas into 3-D form.
Coworkers are very friendly and creative
CREATIVE DIRECTION AND AWARDS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 3, 2018
Work is exciting yet demanding. Young culture and beautiful work environment. Cons are that typically the departments are over worked and underpaid. Good entry level jobs.
Pros
Positive environment
Cons
Underpaid and over worked
No life / work balance for employees
Full Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJanuary 3, 2018
I worked at SCAD for over 10 years.

For students, it is a great living and learning environment. It is very expensive though, with some students taking out over $100 K in loans to attend.

The college has bad nepotism problems. The president and owner married a former student and together they strike fear in most employees. People learn to keep their head down and not attract attention.

Fast paced and student focused, the employees are often impacted with long hours and little job security.

This is more like an oligarchy than a traditional college. People fear the president, her husband and inner circle.

Savannah is beautiful but is a very dangerous place because of crime, something the college tries to compensate for by hiring lots of (unarmed) security guards.
Pros
beautiful campus
Cons
nepotism, greed, no job security
Fast paced
Professor of Visual Effects (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 25, 2017
SCAD provides a lot of technology for faculty/staff and students. Teaching load is heavy, with 4 classes per quarter. Summers can be taken off or summer teaching is available.
Had fun taking care of new international students
Cultural and Academic Placement Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2017
My boss was very nice, and he trusted me doing the job. I had fun taking care of international students and introducing them to Atlanta. I hope I could have this job forever, but it was only a summer job.
n/a
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 21, 2017
This was a school and not an actual job for pay so I'm just filling this space with a minimum of 150 characters. Whoever reads this I hope you are having a great day!

I worked as a TA and helped with classroom procedures and conducted demos to show students how I draw.
Fast Paced
SCAD Admissions (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 17, 2017
Being hourly and a new position that was just created, there were only 3 others in my area to cover shifts. One of us even had to work Memorial Day! Luckily we were a good team, got along great, and compromised! I left because pay was too low even with my Master's degree. (I could make more being at a front desk somewhere) Awesome school and has built Savannah beautiful again, but not the right environment for me.
student work study
Photography lab, studio, and darkroom monitor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 6, 2017
This employment was through student employment. I worked for most of my college career at two campuses; in Atlanta for 3 years and Lacoste France for 4 months.
Great pay, little professional development
Staff Member (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 18, 2017
At the college the Atlanta campus is treated as secondary to the main campus in Savannah. The Atlanta campus expects Atlanta staff to work the weekends when Savannah campus students are bused to the Atlanta campus when a hurricane threatens to hit the Savannah campus. The Atlanta campus has a shortage of staff on both the faculty and staff side which can mean employees take on extra jobs not explicitly in their job description. There is very little professional development (especially if you are looking to be part of professional organizations or conference, none of this is paid for by the college). The leadership can be strict about things such as where you eat your food (not at your desk) and does not like music played while at your desk (even if it is quiet). The institution does not always do what is best practice according to research in higher education. Not sure if this is because they think being an art school sets them apart or because they just value other things. Pay at the institution is much higher than public schools compared and that may be a factor to why professionals stay even when they are not happy or satisfied.
Pros
Most of the people are helpful and friendly
Cons
More customer service focused than student development focused
Good to learn and teach.
Graduate Mentor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 10, 2017
I love my students, and thank you for my college gave me this chance to teach and learn. Very relaxing environment. This is the highest paid job in SCAD.
Excellent Education
Seasonal Helper (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 3, 2017
I studied Animation at SCAD for 4 years and it has taught to become a better artist and a hard working employee to begin my career in the industry. I am graceful for their help.
Great Work
Peer Tutor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 25, 2017
I was a student employee, not official staff. There were no student job benefits, to my knowledge, but the pay was fair and the hours were flexible. My manager was great and very easy to talk with.
Workplace Culture
Admission (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 16, 2017
Does not match what is stated on website
Great school for students, not for employees
No need to be open during holidays offered to other universities
Good
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 10, 2017
It is a professional experience where you will learn a lot about handling various situations as well as gain a lot of insight in the world of student life management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savannah College of Art and Design. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

InHerSight Score
2.5

2.5Personal Development

3.1Career Opportunities

2.2Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Savannah College of Art and Design Reviews by Location