Savannah College of Art and Design Employee Reviews

Major Changes Needed
Counseling & Student Support Services (Former Employee) –  AtlantaDecember 17, 2018
If you are looking for a true higher education work experience/environment, this is not the place. SCAD is a business first and students come second. Employees are encouraged to promote a different experience than what is the reality for the majority of the students once they are enrolled and attending classes. The turnover rate in almost every department is extremely high and departments are consistently understaffed.
Pros
Very clean and attractive work environment. Free parking.
Cons
Terrible work/life balance.
Temporary hire, still fun
Summer Semniar Instructor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 15, 2018
Honestly, I just worked there temporarily. I was not given the resources or benefits of full-time faculty. The program I participated in as an instructor was loosely run and really needed some TLC to make it function as a well-oiled machine. The people running it seemed to have only been there for a short period of time, but protocol should have already been in place for new hires to fall back on. Communication was totally lax.

That being said, I had a blast working for SCAD while I was both enrolled there and afterwards. The pay was fantastic, considering how little I worked and the culture of my department was casual yet invigorating. There is a toxicity to certain aspects of this company that can be found flourishing in other establishments (that is to say, it isn't set apart by the complications one may face on a daily basis).
Pros
Great pay, free tea
Cons
Poor communication, rich people problems
Abusive environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GANovember 3, 2018
Picture a place where the executives and owner want to instill fear in their staff = SCAD. Bully-driven behavior and unfocused leadership is what I experienced. Many are afraid of losing their jobs unless they show submissiveness. All that with pay that is ridiculously low. Not worth it. Trust.
Pros
Film fest
Cons
Working there
Professor at SCAD
Motion Media Professor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAOctober 16, 2018
I have always wanted to teach, and I am grateful I can fulfill that dream at SCAD. We are currently the #1 program for Motion Graphics in the world; as awarded by The Rookies for 3 years in a row. And I am incredibly proud to be apart of a team of faculty and students that make this possible. If I have learned anything from this experience, it is the value of collaboration. This is not only a great institution of growth for its student body but also one for its faculty.
Worthwhile but expensive
Checkout Assistant (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 15, 2018
SCAD is a great opportunity to improve yourself as an artist. They have many majors to choose to in case you find to dislike your first choice (which happened to me). Working with SCAD can be not so fun. They don't pay too much, but if you get to work at a job related to your career, it can be helpful.
The workplace is nice. They supply a lot of tools and necessities that would cost too much to get them yourself, and they're neatly arranged. I learned many things, but I still feel I could've learned more if I could afford more classes.
It was a memorable experience.
Pros
Free tools, good location, friendly teachers
Cons
Expensive, services can be terrible
Fashion Tutor
Fashion Tutor (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 30, 2018
I work as a tutor for SCAD's fashion department. I see so much potential but there needs to be a lot of reorganization with the program. Students are stretched way too thin and the quality of teachers is hit or miss. Either an amazing teacher who will allow questions and work hands on with the students, or a teacher who assigns huge projects without fully explaining what they are looking for and then yells when a questions is asked. I see so many students struggling and it's difficult to explain a complex design issue when they were not even properly taught the basics.
Excellent Work/Study Opportunity
Graduate Mentor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 17, 2018
Being able to help students who have a tough time with organisational and time management skills, is a great opportunity. It was an excellent chance to work hard with students to grow in their confidence with school work and know that they are more than capable to achieve greatness at this institution.
Rewarding place to work
SCAD Language Studio, English Language Faculty (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 16, 2018
Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) Language Studio is a wonderful place to work. The students are interesting and diverse and generally very motivated.The atmosphere is warm and encouraging. The work culture is supportive, for example, there is always someone who will loan you a book, share a worksheet or help in any way they can. The teachers truly care about the success and well-being of the students. I am very happy to be an adjunct professor there, and hope to continue there as long as possible.

Typically, teacher have 20 contact hours per week. We teach 4 days a week, leaving Friday as a studio day for the artists and designers. The days we work are very full, but the students are engaged and always make the hard work worth the effort.
SCAD Athletics is a great place to work
Collegiate Head Bowling Coach (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 21, 2018
SCAD Athletics is a great place to work. The AD is helpful and encouraged personal growth. Throughout my career at SCAD, I became a better and self-confident coach.
Pros
Great AD Department and Staff
Cons
Location is to far from family.
Work Study Job
Community Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 17, 2018
Good job in school very flexible. This was a good starting place for a young professional. You learn a lot and they are very helpful when you need to change jobs.

Want to know more about Savannah College of Art and Design?

Ask a question
Really good experience
STUDENT AMBASSADOR (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 2, 2018
Manager is realy nice person. Organized working environment. Not much pressure for work. Active and enjoyable working experience.

Didn't see any problems.

But it's school not a regular office. So if you are looking for a regular job, it can't be the one.
Pros
Perfect work environment
Cons
Not a real job
Math Tutoring = Gold Mine
TEACHER ASSISTANT_LEAD (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAJuly 2, 2018
The math department and the engineering department in an arts college will always be your friend if you're a good tutor. The hours are excellent, and you're able to tutor to the level that you're comfortable with.
Pros
Pay; Flexibility; Hours; Job Security
Cons
N/a
Loved working with diverse student body.
Mailroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2018
Mail delivery of student mail to three dorms on a daily basis, also received incoming parcels for student and sent out notification for signature and pick up. Responsible dorm mailbox key distribution and
inventory (500 keys),
Great place
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 10, 2018
Great place to work. I have learned that is it student focused and everyone dedicates a lot of time and effort into making sure our students are successful.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
advancement
Things are not always what they seems..
Admission (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMay 1, 2018
You will be presented by fake smiles from those attempting to make it appear to be the best place on earth; however, underneath it all there is a culture based on fear and favoritism. Employees are overworked and not supported.

Management is not hired based on experience, but only on the ability of who can be manipulated the easiest. High level supervisors pit lower staff against one another to manipulate individuals and bully.
Unfortunately, complaints and the indiscretions made against upper level management are ignored and consistently overlooked regularly.

The few descent managers SCAD does have are moved into positions they do not want in an effort to push them out. Very disappointing...

Just search for the article "How SCAD sells a Dream" and you will learn more about SCAD's culture.
Pros
Very pretty campus well taken care off good opportunities for the "right" student.
Cons
Getting to big for its britches and could care less about employees working for them.
Advanced Gear Resources
Student (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 26, 2018
The top level of film gear resources in U.S. film schools. It's convenient to students to check out for filming. Also the college renew and promote computers and facilities are efficient.
Tough but rewarding job
Resident Assistant (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 16, 2018
A very challenging job, but rewarding when helping students. It can be very emotionally taxing, due to dealing with real life situations, but the job helps you learn about the real world and manage your time.
productive work place
Housekeeping Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 12, 2018
Great place to work in with the right management very competitive and thriving environment. so i would recommend anyone to work for this company in the future.
Cool Place fun ppl
Line Chef (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAApril 3, 2018
Great place to work a lot fun ppl and students good pay benefits easy work no long hours .respect from mangers and employees. easy menu and access to scad
Great teachers horrible management
Student (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 19, 2018
I really enjoyed going here and will forever remember it fondly but the management sucked! The teachers were phenomenal and I made many important connections for later in life.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Savannah College of Art and Design. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

2.7InHerSight Score

2.7Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

2.3Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Powered by InHerSight