Savannah River Nuclear Solutions Employee Reviews

Overall Good
Architectural Designer (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCSeptember 29, 2018
SRS has nice benefits and pay is good. In general, people are reasonable and friendly. Working there, you need to be open to learn new skills and expand your perspective on things.
Pros
One of the best parts for me are the people with whom I work. In general, most people are good to work with
Cons
The biggest challenge is trying to be cost effective while making a project safe.
Stable environment
Training/Supervisor/Consultant/Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 23, 2018
Maintaining training program and provided training for operations and construction departments. Working there 22 years provided many learning opportunities developing training and interaction with personnel at many management levels. Management provided good and bad decisions of the years. Revising whole programs were the most tasking and the most rewarding
Pros
Cafiteria and Flex work week schedules
Cons
benefits kept getting more expensive over the years
Very enlighting place to work
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCNovember 22, 2018
I learned a lot at SRNS. I enjoyed the knowledge I did acquire. Exceptional avenues to find your niche. The management was friendly and gave go clear directions.
Pros
Great 401k, benefits, and pay
Cons
cut throat, stressful work eviroment, only cater to a certain demograic
A good place to gain work experience
Program and Reporting Senior Admin Advisor (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 17, 2018
SRS is a good place to gain work experience but stifling for career advancement. There are many career disciplines to explore. However, it's not the most challenging for one with defined career aspirations.
Pros
Compensation
Cons
Not good for career growth.
Good place to work but not for everyone
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 4, 2018
Great work-life balance but sometimes the company culture can be a bit too relaxed. Some areas on site don't give young engineers enough challenging work which leads to a large part of the new generation not knowing enough to take over when their mentors retire. If you are the type of person who will seek out additional responsibilities and challenges that are not hand-fed to you then you will do fine, but remember that depending on where you work on site you may not have the option to get additional work until you complete multiple years of training to become qualified. If you need to be constantly challenged this may not be the right place for you.
Great Organization with lots of opportunities
Scientist (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCSeptember 26, 2018
Great place to work, extremely focused on safety and making sure that people have the proper training to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Lots of room for career growth and upward mobility.
Pros
Friendly, Safe, Training opportunities
administrative
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJuly 12, 2018
Over the 20+ years I worked out at the site it has been interesting, flexible, changeable, challenging, competitive, fun, and exciting. I learned a lot about various documents, payroll processing, ordering supplies, customer service, data entry, various reports, and scheduling calendars and conference rooms for all departments.
Pros
diverse culture
Cons
changeable
Quite Place to work
Tivoli Storage Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 25, 2018
Nice Technology, DuPont Building. Great Parking, 300,000 Acres.
Lots of Scientists, Technology is developed for use by other companies available. It is the DOE. So not much to expect.
Summer internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCSeptember 18, 2018
Good place for a summer internship. The internship program emphasized exposing interns to various different departments and groups at the site. Occasional slow work days with little to do.
Typical Day
Electrical Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 10, 2018
After entering the site driving to the location and passing through security.
Check any messages and check on the progress of ordered parts.
Check in with team members and plan the day activities.
Good Place
Materials Acquistion Engineer (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCAugust 3, 2018
Nothing to say about it other than the management seems a bit behind the times regarding management principles and practices. however, there are good people working out there.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Slow to change
Efficient and effective workplace to work for
Internship (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCJuly 10, 2018
I enjoyed my time with Savannah River Nuclear Solutions and would go back if I had another opportunity. The people were great to work with and the job work/life balance was the best thing they had for me.
I enjoyed working with all of the co-workers in the different departments.
Radiological Control Inspector (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 8, 2018
I surveyed each morning to make sure radioactive materials had not gotten out of containment. I made sure workers dressed properly and worked safely with radioactive materials. I surveyed before, during, and after jobs to make sure materials had remained inside of its containment.
Pros
Knowing I was helping workers to remain safe and contamination free.
Cons
The job came with a lot of responsibility to protect personnel and the environment.
very stressful,
tritium control room operator (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMarch 27, 2018
Job is very stressful, and requires a lot of mental concentration, lots of team work, military atmosphere in company policies. benefits are great beyond all other companies I've worked for.
Pros
benifits, pay
Cons
management upfront dont now the personal thats working for the comapny .
Great Place to work
Co-operative Intern (Current Employee) –  Aiken, SCJune 14, 2018
It is a great place to work and start your career or finish it. There is always a way to get promoted or to shift job focus. The work is always interesting.
Typical Day
Carpenter (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCMay 20, 2018
Great experiences
Learned a lot about construction
Long hours made it difficult
Management team were amazing
It was hard to navigate around SRS a little comfusing
Pros
great pay
Depending on the team you are with your experience may be different
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCOctober 29, 2018
If you have a good team, and boss then you will have an excellent time like I did. Other parts of the site was mismanaged though. As for programming it was a pretty decent experience. Site security is pretty high so some of the newest technology may not be available. The only problem I had with programming was that a lot of projects would be pushed onto one person. Meaning that if the person left their project got dumped on someone else desk or down the organization tree. Also for my group specifically there was a lack of employees being hired so I had to develop full stack even though I started the job as a back-end dev. Also testing was very subpar and code quality suffered since there was a lack of team members dedicated to testing, QA, or code quality. Some projects would be abandoned due to lack to being able to push them out in time or would be stuck in a constant testing loop before final release. This being due to one or 2 devs doing one job. I loved my team members and my work that I was doing. That was the best part. Security Clearance process is kind of a long pain in which your job promotion may be on hold for up to 3 years and you may get fired if you don't get the clearance.
Pros
Co-workers, Tuition Reimbursement
Cons
Distance, Clearance, Upper Management, Infrastructure
Challenging place to work and many job opportunities
Sr operations lead specialist C (Former Employee) –  Aiken County, SCFebruary 17, 2018
Good challenging career and many job opportunties. Safety culture is in place and focused upon for evety job. Team concepts apply across the site and very good people to work with.
Pros
Good people to work with.
Cons
Too much management oversight
challenging technically, difficult to implement innovation
Engineering Manager (Former Employee) –  Aiken County, SCJanuary 2, 2018
(Corresponds to the "Give us your opinion about ...")

Motivating the team to focus on immediate and important tasks is part of a typical day.

A regularly reinforced lesson learned is that others always have better ideas, give them a chance to be heard.

Some management is very risk adverse and want things done the same way, but expect different results.

People want to contribute, however, the culture is such that innovation is not really welcomed; change is uncomfortable to most.

The biggest challenge is breaking the "It has always been done this way" mentality.

Working with really smart, dedicated individuals and genuinely good people has been the most rewarding part of my work experience.
Pros
Opportunities to excel and make a difference exist under certain management.
Cons
Hard to crack the ingrained culture to implement changes.
Productive and rewarding place to work
Nuclear Materials Accountability Specialist (Former Employee) –  Aiken, SCFebruary 9, 2018
Work schedules were flexible. Allowed employees to work four 10-hour days or off every other Friday. The hardest part of the job was working with disgruntled employees.