Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Fast paced environment
Food Service Worker (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMay 12, 2019
This is a face paced workplace because you are the middle man between the server and the customer. Ultimately you can slow down or hinder the servers tips which in turn lessens what they tip you.
Typical produce dutys
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Los Banos, CAMay 3, 2019
Brake load down,rotate product, customer service, neat and clean appearance, work schedule posted. Save mart is family owned business they also own S foods markets, Food Max supermarkets.
Welcome to the ghetto
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAApril 26, 2019
Do not work here unless you have done time! They hire their warehouse workers straight out of the ghetto of Sacramento. There is a thug/prison mentality in the night shift and I’ve seen fights during and after shifts. There is drinking and drugs on the job, management turns a blind eye as long as the trucks get loaded but don’t get caught looking at your cell phone or you’ll get suspended. The production standard is crazy fast which is why everyone is on drugs. Also you have to put in 5-10 years on graveyard shift throwing 70 pound cases before you can get a forklift or day shift bid. Definitely a young mans job. Management will stab you in the back and God forbid you get hurt on the job or you will be treated like you are faking it.
Only positive thing I can say is the pay and benefits are really good which is the only thing that kept me there as long as I stayed. Also there is a lot of vacation time and you can call out a lot without consequences. The union was pretty good but there are a lot of politics and gossip involved. Lots of rumors and gossip and a definite high school/prison culture. Expect to work OT on holidays.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, union
Cons
Ghetto culture, long hours, backbreaking work
The Save Mart Companies, a great place to work!
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 26, 2019
The typical day in marketing is busy yet rewarding. There wasn't a week that went by that I wasn't learning new skill in project management, software or people skills. I truly enjoyed working there.
Pros
personal growth, flexible hours, promotion and great culture
Cons
management is unorganized
It was okay
Gen. Clerk/Meat Dept. Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sand City, CAApril 24, 2019
This was sort of a temporary job to make money towards school, I don't really have any complaints or anything. It's been 10 years since I have worked there as I write this, so I don't have anything to say that would currently be applicable.
Benefits
Cons
Kind of a 'meh' job
Loyal customers, clean and fun work Invierment fast pace,
Bakery Clerk/ Deli (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 22, 2019
I loved working for save mart supermarkets, it taught me customer service, and showed me how good some people still are, the management was great as long as u communicate with them, fellow employees were very competitive.
Pros
Benefits paid vacation
Cons
Competitive fellow employees
Good for teenagers
Multi purpose clerk/ Graveyard (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAApril 13, 2019
threw freight faster than the night crew manager, was trusted to be alone with store keys while still on probation, learned frozen learned bakery/deli, produce and ultimately became a cashier during the day sleep a little go back in at night sleep Work night crew the night then that morning would be the same day I’d have be the closing cashier because as long as there’s an 8 hr gap you’re available. I was over worked and exhausted and thought “well it should payoff when I see my Checks”. All that work all that responsibility (I even learned aris: signage and printing and hanging new price tags) all that overtime all the fake smiles and small talk with managers and key carriers and promised growth opportunity and I still got a paycheck one week for $126.00.
after two years of being underpaid.i left making a whopping 11.85 an hr. Only raises available are based on the hours you put in. When you do work a certain amount of hours and you feel like you’ve been slaving but receive a 10 cent raise and your boss that makes 50 times your earned income says “you’ve earned it” pats you on the back it’s just like FORGET THIS. IM A SINGLE MOTHER AND I HAVE TO REPORT TO A SIGNIFICANTLY YOUNGER DUDE IN HIS EARLY 20s WHOS DATING the bosses DAUGHTER SO HE GETS 16 AN HR WHILE I CANT EVEN SEEM TO BREAK 12 hr. BUT DOING THE SAME WORK IF NOT MORE WORK BECAUSE THAT DUDE IN CHARGE LIKES TO TAKE 30 MINUTE BREAKS THEN A LUNCH !!? BEFORE U KNOW IT YOURE DONE WITH AN ENTIRE TRUCK LOAD.
Pros
Make you feel good by showing recognition to you for hard work
Cons
Gossiping and penny pay zero room for growth.
Challenging job
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAApril 6, 2019
This job is very demanding. A typical day at work moves quickly and requires the ability to stay focused and driven. You have to be flexible and enjoy working on somewhat repetitive tasks. If you like making conversation with customers, that's good - there isn't a lot of time to talk to co-workers. The hardest part of the job is keeping going for long hours.
management
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Ashlan & Cedar FresnoApril 1, 2019
setting up racks,ordering, putting stuff, away. instructing employees of their duties. keeping paperwork daily and weekly. i had to attend meetings to keep up on sales and policies.

the hardest part of job was dealing with employee problems and frustrated customers.

WORKING WITH OTHER EMPLOYEES FOR DESIRED GOALS.
Pros
Health care ins. And livable wage
Cons
dealing with angry and unreasonable customers
fun
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 26, 2019
good, busy, challenging, great coworkers, management is awesome, customers are friendly and appreciate the great quality of deli selection and great customer service we provide.
Great company
Repair and Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CA 95355March 25, 2019
I loved my job at Save Mart, I was offered a better paying job, that is why I left Save Mart. The job I had was a great learning tool for life. Thank you for the opportunity.
Pros
Great working conditions
Cons
No real cons
Overall a standard part time job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAMarch 24, 2019
The job is pretty cool. I get paid a realtively good amount for the work that I perform. The managers and employees are okay. They have pretty nice benefits as well.
Not a good working enviorment
Senior Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 24, 2019
Hated going to work everyday working for Save Mart. Culture has been lost and the company is going in a different direction every quarter. The team is lost and confused. Turning over good management Team members because of poor communication and lack of direction.
No appreciation. Also, constantly reorgs. You never know when you are getting laid off.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 22, 2019
A lot of back stabbing, and getting yelled at by superiors. Inappropriate language and a team that is constantly looking for flaws to report or judt to ridicule people.

Constantly restructureing to save money. Good for them but people are just discarded for no reason.

If they like you they might move you somewhere else in the company. A lot of us weren't that lucky.
Pros
Some work from home days. Then they were stopped good pay and benefits.
Cons
Most poeple are on edge due to constant re orgs
Extremely productive and sometimes stressful
Multi-Purpose Clerk (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAMarch 15, 2019
Bagging groceries and helping the customers to their car. Stocking the shelves. Frying hot food for the hot case. Making salads and sandwiches for the cold case. Sweeping the store. Washing and sanitizing the Bakery/Deli floors.
Pros
Working with great people
Cons
Dealing with rude customers
Management and HR are not helpful.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 14, 2019
If you have a problem with your manager, don't bother going to HR. They won't help you. Disappointing place to work, and they've had four reorganizations in the last two years.
Pros
Discount on groceries
Cons
Terrible Management
unenforced safety rules and backwards thinking employees
Stadium Stage Hand (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAMarch 7, 2019
they don't teach you anything on or before the job they throw you in and hope for the best.

you work with expensive and dangerous equipment every shift often moving carts and boxes that way thousands of pounds blindly without guidance
Don't make a career of this
SERVICE SPECIALIST/MULTI PURPOSE CLERK (Former Employee) –  Lodi, CAMarch 6, 2019
An awful company to work for if you're trying to advance your career. Terrible hours, very low pay, sometimes hostile work environment. I do not recommend this job.
Front End Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaMarch 3, 2019
Still No. I shouldn't have to tell you what I think about my past company. It doesn't matter if it is annonymous. They weren't a terrible company but not amazing.
Pass
Bakery & Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaFebruary 28, 2019
Not a place to stay more than a year. Management is subpar. Job security is great, but there is no room for advancement. If you want a job that treats you well, then look elsewhere.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save Mart Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Save Mart Supermarkets.

Powered by Comparably