Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Reviews in Clovis, CA

Productive workplace, easy to gain experience
Key Career (Manager) (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAJune 23, 2019
I have learned a great deal from this job. You have to be determined and willing to work hard to move up in the company. This job can be stressful at times but overall this is a great job for high school students, college students or anyone who is looking for a steady job till they retire.
Pros
Union, benefits, ability to move up in the company
Cons
No set hours with time or amount
Fun workplace, caring and attentive management
Multipurpose Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAMay 23, 2017
A typical day at work was easy to navigate. Work responsibilities were always clear and manageable. I gained a lot of customer service experience through this job. Management were helpful and attentive. The hardest part of the job was not quitting school because of the lure of good pay and job security. The employees were super fun and welcoming, very fun and stimulating work environment.
Pros
Union, Hours, Pay, Promotion
Management does not care about you
Service Specialist/Produce Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAApril 25, 2017
My experience here was very bad and stressful. Management just simply does not care about its employees, favoritism is in full force, "experienced" workers try to make newer coworkers do their job for them and there is just an overall lack of respect towards anyone that is not in a management position. Also, once you get in trouble, the main manager will call you in to the office to tell you that you suck at your job as he proceeds to slide papers off of his desk and into the your face.
Pros
Some Coworkers
Cons
Practically everything
Great community of people to work with.
Usher/Ticket Taker (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAMarch 5, 2017
Everyone is welcoming, friendly, and organized. The events worked for run smooth. Hardest part of the job is standing for a long period of time but otherwise you get to work with an amazing crew.
Great place to work short time(1-5 Years)
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Overall it was an amazing experience working with this company. The management was strict but only to better your judgment and capability to complete tasks. I would say that 98% of the co-workers are incredibly helpful and made the long shifts worth it. The store itself was always very well kept and every isle was to be faced fairly often which added a great touch to the overall look of the store.
Pros
Positive environment, fast paced, very friendly workplace, Health benefits, Eye care, Dental, etc.
Cons
Stern Managers, long hours, spread out shifts (10 apart)
Happy place to work- made happy customers who always came back to shop!
Front End Manager / stocked/ resets - tag changing (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 8, 2016
They made iit easy to work together with other employees.
Very organized/. Very clean/ always challenging employees to learn different departments.
Pros
Great hourly pay and benefits
Cons
Mad customers
Not terrible for starting, Terrible if staying
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAJanuary 6, 2015
This is a great job if you're right out of high school, or in between school, but a terrible long term place to work.

The union severely dislikes baggers (read: Service Specialists) and as such you pay union dues but don't expect any help. Your schedule WILL be inconsistent and bounce you around. Hours are not assured over some low number like 16/week, and it depends on the busyness of the store if you get anywhere close to 40. You won't have fixed days off either.

Depending on which store you end up at, they're at least good at working around a school schedule. Just be aware they can move you to another store, or even another town if they want to get rid of you.
Manager/Cashier/ In Store Trainer (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CANovember 15, 2013
Being a cashier, stocking products, ordering products, and bagging groceries.

Learned everything in a grocery store and every product.

Loved the management.

Great co workers in every age.

Nothing was hard.

Enjoyable was making sales and friends.
SaveMart Bakery
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 18, 2013
My typical day at work was long but good. It typically started by making sandwiches and preparing to keep stock for the next few days.
I learned how to weigh foods before putting them on a scale, using industrial ovens, writing on cakes, how to clean and sanitize a cooking area, and how to better connect to guests.
Store and Department management was great.
Some co-workers were kind while others were harder to get an understanding on.
The hardest part of the job was how fast paced everything seems to go. There is no down time and messing up put you behind schedule.
The most enjoyable part was meeting all the new customers and learning how to make new foods.
Pros
above minimum wage
Cons
Union dues
good wholesome environment
Bagger (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAMay 28, 2013
Must be clean shavin, everything cleanly, be ready to walk large amounts of time.
Pros
good pay
Cons
being clean cut.
Basic Day at sm
Bakery/Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAMay 19, 2013
Depending on the shift. In the bakery we would have open and close. Opening was always a little more challenging as closing was always easier but drag on a little longer. We would help customers on the counter with sliced meat, salads, hot food and bakery products. While helping customers, we would have production to get done also. Multi-tasking is a must. Then Clean up, requires basic knowledge.
Hard working environment with great benefits
Service Clerk, Bakery Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAApril 16, 2013
I learned everything I know from Save Mart. Great customer service, being dedicated, and having a good overall attitude. The management at Save Mart held its employees to a very high standard. It can be frustrating at times, but made me a better worker and team player as an outcome. My coworkers all have great personalities which makes it really easy to come to work and have an enjoyable day. I have made many great friends at Save Mart that I talk to all the time. The hardest part of the job is getting all particular duties finished within a certain time frame. Time management is a key to success at Save Mart. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people that I work with and the new customers that I have come to know while working here.
Fun and easy learning enviorment
Cashier/Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAFebruary 20, 2013
I dealt with customer service and handled money on daily basis. Learned how to manage and organize inventory. Worked with graphics design and fedex delivery.
good
Bakery/deli clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAMay 16, 2012
• With the use of interpersonal customer service skills I would help customers with their bakery/deli needs. Example: Providing customers with the necessary bakery/deli product, and providing customers with the necessary product information needed to buy the right product for their needs. To maintain upkeep for the store’s bakery/deli I would clean windows, stainless steel appliances, chicken cooker, dishes, slicers, sweep and wash floors. With the use of production training I would stock the bakery sales floor and deli display cases with the necessary sales product as needed throughout the day. However on the days I worked the closing shift I would make sure the bakery/deli department looked presentable to staff and customers the next day.
Job is fun. LOTS of hard work but it pays off,
Stagehand (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAMarch 29, 2012
working as a stagehand is a hard job lots of running around and lifting pulling and pushing working in hot and cold weather but its a great job,
Pros
free lunch sometimes
Cons
breaks every two hours and lunch at 5 hours