Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Reviews in Modesto, CA

The Save Mart Companies, a great place to work!
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 26, 2019
The typical day in marketing is busy yet rewarding. There wasn't a week that went by that I wasn't learning new skill in project management, software or people skills. I truly enjoyed working there.
Pros
personal growth, flexible hours, promotion and great culture
Cons
management is unorganized
Not a good working enviorment
Senior Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 24, 2019
Hated going to work everyday working for Save Mart. Culture has been lost and the company is going in a different direction every quarter. The team is lost and confused. Turning over good management Team members because of poor communication and lack of direction.
No appreciation. Also, constantly reorgs. You never know when you are getting laid off.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 22, 2019
A lot of back stabbing, and getting yelled at by superiors. Inappropriate language and a team that is constantly looking for flaws to report or judt to ridicule people.

Constantly restructureing to save money. Good for them but people are just discarded for no reason.

If they like you they might move you somewhere else in the company. A lot of us weren't that lucky.
Pros
Some work from home days. Then they were stopped good pay and benefits.
Cons
Most poeple are on edge due to constant re orgs
Management and HR are not helpful.
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 14, 2019
If you have a problem with your manager, don't bother going to HR. They won't help you. Disappointing place to work, and they've had four reorganizations in the last two years.
Pros
Discount on groceries
Cons
Terrible Management
Decent place to work
Head Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 28, 2019
Savemart is a decent place to work if you are going to school, or looking for other options of employment. This isn't a long term career choice, but worked for the time being.
Pros
Union, pay, flexible schedule
Cons
Management, early hours
Going down
Not Provided (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 25, 2019
Company is struggling financially. They are WAY behind technologically and are trying to improve but don't have the money to invest in new software or training. If there is training it is totally online. No travel to conferences or offsite training. Want a certification related to your job, forget it.

Super nice people to work with. Didn't meet a single bad person while working there.

Chances are they will be out of business or absorbed within 5-10 years. They are limping along but can't compete because they are so far behind.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere
Cons
No money, job security is none existent
Exciting local based company
Category Analysis and Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAFebruary 4, 2019
Created and maintained grocery store schematics. Worked with buyers and outside vendors to grow category sales with new items and analyze internal sales for removing existing items.
Pros
local business
Cons
competative market
family type of enviornment but managment didn't get the memo
Accounts Receivable Deals Analyst (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJanuary 18, 2019
Loved my co workers, the pay was not bad, decent benefits and good HR,
AR Managment was a nightmare and inadequate
Took away best health care and charged us for it.
Electronic Funds Clerk (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CADecember 7, 2018
Fun place to work, management was involved and concerned in daily issues. Fair and equitable to all employed. A good work life balance while employed.
Low pay. Not much appreciation .
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CANovember 10, 2018
As a grocery store, Save Mart is a good chain but it is very hard to support yourself with the low pay and hours. Dealing with the public has it's rewards but also many challenges. Many managers are not very supportive of any life outside of the store. I had to fight with one of my managers to get the hours I needed because I had to get my kids home from school before I could work.
Pros
Closer job to home. More locations.
Cons
Not enough pay.
Failing company - don't know how to treat people
Senior Managment (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 9, 2018
Outdated policies, infrastructure, poor leadership and no innovation will lead to the ultimate failure of the business. It was not a supportive work environment and politics were the rule of law. There are very few that survive who really care about the success of the company or people who do the work.
Pros
Employee discount, cost effective benefits
Cons
Politics, poor leadership, outdated infrastructure and polices
Management was disorganized and petty frequently
Accounts Receivable Deals Analyst/Collector (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 8, 2018
I enjoyed the type of work most of the time, however, my office had very poor management. They seemed very uninterested in your moving ahead and had denied me on more than one occasion the opportunity to advance.
The management often alienated the workers and singled them out in front of the other employees at every opportunity
Pros
benifets
Cons
poor environment to work in
Excellent place of employment. Excellent management and people.
Meat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 24, 2018
Work is fast paced with emphasis on customer service and conditions making the workday productive and satisfying. Save Mart has a true identifiable culture. The fast pace can be a challenge but it will teach an employee priorities and organization as well as serving customers with a great attitude and a smile.
Pros
Work environment and the people. True retail culture.
Cons
Workload and responsibilties can be a challenge but definitely doable.
Expect to feel isolated
Treasury and Tax Accountant, Fixed Assets (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 21, 2018
Savemart gives employees quite a bit of autonomy, but you can expect to feel isolated. I went days (weeks even) without speaking to a single person in the building, even though there were upwards of 200 people who worked there. You'll get stuck in a cubicle, and only called into a meeting when it's time for discipline.
Customer service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 24, 2018
This was a great learning experience for me. Working at Savemart produced great customer service experience as well as a hard work ethic for me. The hours however, where very hard to accommodate at times.
Was a good company to work for.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 5, 2018
The management was fair and good to work for. Management sent me to schooling for my last job. Hardest part of job was getting other departments to you together.
Use to be a great place to work
Customer Solutions Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 25, 2018
Save Mart use to be a great place to work when I first started as a bagger. But over time they developed the "Big Business" mentality. Paid Holidays slowly disappeared over time. Labor being cut and unrealistic demands developed. Overall employee morale has tanked and customers suffer.
Pros
Cons
too many
Easygoing job with many opportunities to move up.
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 7, 2018
Your average day of work starts at random, varying between 7am to 7pm and ending anywhere in between. Grabbing carts, helping customers and cleaning are your typical duties.

A consistent schedule does not exist as a service specialist. Your hours are different every week.

The best part is helping customers. The hardest part about this job is finding things to do when it's slow. Being in an union is a double edged sword for obvious reasons. Once you work an union job long enough you'll understand what I mean.
Pros
Union, hour lunches.
Cons
Union. A lot of downtime.
Frequent changes in ownership and supervisors
Human Resource District Trainer (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJune 1, 2018
Savemart gave me an opportunity to advance.
However, with all high turn over and perks taken away made it an easy decision to further my career elsewhere.
Strict by Fair
Sr. Project Manager, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 17, 2018
The culture was one of strictness. It appeared that everyone was on pins and needles all the time. You could hear a pin drop. The employees were not the friendliest, some were even cut-throats.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save Mart Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight