Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Cashier

Poor Management
Cashier (Former Employee) –  McGehee, ARFebruary 21, 2019
The job overall is ok if you weigh the pros and cons but to me the job is not worth working. minimum wage and not enough hours. The manager at the store i worked for was never direct with things often leaving me wondering how to do things that I later figured out on my own or from a co worker.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Low pay. Not enough hours.Poor management.
Customer service
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lathrop, CAAugust 27, 2018
It’s a great customer service job. It’s very fast pace. You need to know how to multi task. Standard pay, could be better. Decent insurance. Team development. Work well with others. Receiving and unloading product. Produce production daily.
Not a bad place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 20, 2018
On a typical day is ok, but it is really hard to advance within the company and if you are not at the top of the seniority list be prepared to be at the starting level for a while if you stick around (Clerks helper, pushing carts). It took me 8 years to make $14 and that is nothing to live off of. The people there are OK but there is a lot of gossip and unprofessionalism. Management needs to step their game up and do their job. The hardest part of the job is pushing carts in 104 degrees and being out there for a whole hour. I enjoy being at this job but plan on leaving because I cannot work with no advancement.
Pros
Nice customers and some employees
Cons
Too much gossip and short breaks for those pushing carts
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  McGehee, ARAugust 18, 2018
I loved it at Save Mart I love being a cashier it was amazing Plus to have a smile on your face and talk to the customer see if they have everything they needed
Pros
Idk
Cons
30 min break
Good workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pinole, CAJune 17, 2018
Fun workplace and nice co-workers to work with. The management genuinely cares about the workers. It is a busy place and gets crowded during vacations.
I learned a lot there very good experiences
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJune 11, 2018
cashiering stocking cleaning bagging it properly helping customers loads there groceries into car learned all the readers lotto money orders n tobacco
No Comment
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, CAJanuary 7, 2018
Only have been there a short time....Don't have much to say at this point. So far so good. For me it's close to home. Different typ of job that I have ever had.
nice
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 18, 2017
nice place to work they are very friendly and you feel comfortable there is a good place the manager and the owner are friendly persons and the understand you when you have any problem
Not the same,now that daughter took over
Supermarket Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CANovember 15, 2017
Been here for 10 years, and you don't get promoted unless you are related to someone in management.even if you work hard you are over looked the slackers get a better schedule than the ones that work hard.Its not how hard you work its who you know/related to now.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Work hard and dont get recognition, hours all over the place..management wants 120% but they wont give you half of that
Experience
Checker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CAAugust 4, 2017
Working for save mart gave me a lot of life experience, getting to know the various customers that come to your store to shop, and getting to know the diverse cultures and lifestyles of each individual person was great experience for me.
I enjoyed the atmosphere working for save mart, the crew I worked with got a long and blended well as a unit together.
Pros
Staff
The perfect first job.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAMay 31, 2017
Worked between 40 and 60 hours a week as they just upgraded from a mom and pop shop to a legit supermarket. Strong Union but from what I've heard benefits are nowhere near what they used to be.
Pros
The best all around benefits.
Cons
Understaffed at times.
Very hostile, a lot like high school
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVFebruary 28, 2016
High school for adults.
Management will not do anything about co-worker harrassment.
Employees and managers will call you horrible names if you wear makeup.
Pros
One hour lunch
Cons
Immature employees
Really nice place to work at
Cashier (Former Employee) –  McGehee, ARJanuary 10, 2016
Save Mart is a really nice job and the people are easy to get along with. The hours are okay and as long as you work hard you can keep a job there.
Great customer service experience.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakdale, CAJuly 16, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed helping customers on a daily. I also enjoyed knowing I was one of the best in our store. Not only was i responsible for my cash register, I also had responsibilities in other departments. Company is eager to help their employees advance.
Pros
Great company.
Great family enviroment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tehachapi, CAJanuary 5, 2015
typical day would be stay busy theres always things to be work on. I learned a lot being employed there like leadership, team player skills, time management and keeping the work environment safe. Great management team there as well as my co-workers. The hardest part of my work day is making sure every customer left happy. best part was my customers.
Great place to work.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAMay 19, 2014
Employment was fun and productive. Management, co-workers, and customers were friendly and positive. Ending employment due to medical reasons was tough as I did not want to leave. However, it was delightful and full of life while employed.
Pros
Scheduling was manageable.
Cons
Long commute.
nice place to work and good advancement opportunities
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tehachapi, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Typical day was filled with stocking shelves with product, and checking customers through the line. I learned how to be patient and understanding with all costumers even the mean ones.I liked building relationships with frequent customers. there was no real hard part of the job. I always got along with co- workers.
Pros
hour long lunch, health benefits
Cons
rapid schedule changes
Great First Job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 6, 2013
Loved loved loved this job. Wish I would have stayed a bagger. Being a cashier is great however my time there it was all done by sonority not to many head cashiers are going to leave any time soon, so it takes a while before you start to get the good cashier hours.
Productive, customer service oriented workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madera, CAMay 21, 2013
As soon as I clocked in I had to make sure my tie was straight and my apron was neat, then I go to a cash register stand and proceed to checkout customers and their groceries.

Here, being my first job, I learned good work ethic and putting the store first, customer service above all, cash handling, and helping others.

The key carrier/supervisors were incredibly good managers working with employees and helping out as best they could. Unfortunately the store manager and the assistant store manager were not very good. The treatment of the employees was not very good. The head manager was quite strict and seemed like he didn't care about the people who worked for him. I even had a vacation cancelled without any notice ahead of time.

The hardest part was balancing work and school. There were times when I had to change my schedule at work because I had school at a certain time, even though I gave them my school schedule.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers because the fun we had made working bearable. I also liked being the reliable one to go in and cover a shift or help out when the store needed. I was known to call in to see if they needed me to go in early to work.
Pros
Really good health benefits and reasonable lunch hours
Cons
Treatment of employees is not very good. Overtime after 10 hours. 9.5 hour work day without overtime, and short breaks.
great place for work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  grass valley,caApril 22, 2013
A typical day at work would be busy and working with coworkers as a team. The management would be pretty good unless your dishwasher. The coworkers at Meteo's would kind of relate to the movie Resturaunt
The hardest part of my job was the long day, my most enjoyable part of my day would be clocking in and clocking out, but the best feeling is going home and knowing I am doing it again tomorrow and the feeling of just working and the achievement I have accomplished!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save Mart Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight

Save Mart Supermarkets Reviews by Location