Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Reviews for Meat Carver

Poor management
"Multi-Purpose Clerk", and Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CADecember 22, 2018
- Harassed by the store management by getting denied desired work hours despite explanation of family tragedy

- Fluctuating hours due to the management's "personal discipline", and was not instructed by higher officials

- Harassed verbally behind closed doors

- Hostile work environment between management, (i.e. aggressive confrontation)

- Assigned to do dangerous tasks that violate terms to OSHA and the USDA, and that had the potential to cause bodily harm
Excellent place of employment. Excellent management and people.
Meat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 24, 2018
Work is fast paced with emphasis on customer service and conditions making the workday productive and satisfying. Save Mart has a true identifiable culture. The fast pace can be a challenge but it will teach an employee priorities and organization as well as serving customers with a great attitude and a smile.
Pros
Work environment and the people. True retail culture.
Cons
Workload and responsibilties can be a challenge but definitely doable.
awesome
Meat Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Merced, CAJanuary 31, 2018
Savemart is a good place to work, positive work environment, offer flexible work schedule,great health benefits, 401k, vision and dental insurance, vacation packages
Fun and fast paced at certian times of the day.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Turlock, CAJanuary 22, 2018
Clock in wrap and tag meat, stock counter with meat cuts. Set up seafood counter, stock deli section. Stock bulk meat and organized by date from daily meat delivery, help customers and keep meat and seafood counter stocked up.
good job, poor hours
Meat clerk (Current Employee) –  Reedley, CADecember 22, 2017
its a good job working for save mart, great co workers steady hours. quick paced and always on the go. always able to pick up hours at other stores and able to promote.
Pros
good atmosphere, great oppoprtunities, good pay, good benefits
Cons
low hours, late shifts, work holidays, slow paced at times, hours depend on sales
The grocery store was fun and very fast passes cutting meat And seafood
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CANovember 15, 2017
This job was great just wish the union was better employees were nice and respectful I actually miss this job only reason why I left was because I needed more pay.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Long drive
Great place to work short time(1-5 Years)
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Overall it was an amazing experience working with this company. The management was strict but only to better your judgment and capability to complete tasks. I would say that 98% of the co-workers are incredibly helpful and made the long shifts worth it. The store itself was always very well kept and every isle was to be faced fairly often which added a great touch to the overall look of the store.
Pros
Positive environment, fast paced, very friendly workplace, Health benefits, Eye care, Dental, etc.
Cons
Stern Managers, long hours, spread out shifts (10 apart)
great first job
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Woodland, CASeptember 30, 2016
a typical day at work for me is making sure customers leave happy and never mad. I always make sure i have everything done before anything. i have learned so much just as a worker and being a social person. my co workers became family everyone got along and had to do the work they had to and never let anyone down. The hardest part was just being a different town then i live in other hen that everything was great. My most favorite part about the job was building a relationship with the customers.
Horrible place to work
Merchandise stocker and Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 20, 2016
Typical day at work was customer orientated mostly while trying to finish task for that day. I learned great customer interaction skills and customer service. Hardest part was dealing with all the managers and there criticism.
productive work place with employee break room and soda pop machine
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sonora, CADecember 28, 2015
overall experience was good, but left California to move to Texas .. After working for this company for over 6 years taught me the value of customer service along with the experience of ensuring quality products and food for customer satisfaction... On a scale of 1 to 10 I give this place a 9.5
very nice store but very dysfunctional
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  davis caJuly 6, 2015
A typical day at work is making sure customers are happy and are able to find everything they were looking for. I learned how to be more social and make sure i make sure my customers are always happy. co-workers and management i rather not say.
Cons
mistreatment
really had a great time working
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 5, 2015
A typical work day for me was preparing food for the days to come. I would prep up quick meals like chicken fajitas, beef fajitas, and kobobs. At night I would clean up the department. I would make sure everything was spotless clean.
Pros
everyone had a positive attitude .
Cons
Management was tough at times.
Great company to learn all around workplace skills.
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Union City, CAApril 15, 2015
With my time a Luckys supermarkets I was able to take on an array of tasks bettering my overall workplace skills. From customer service, sales, to working together as a team, all of these traits were established.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Random Scheduling
A great place with good benefits and lots of room for advancement.
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAFebruary 18, 2014
As soon as you start there is work waiting for you whether it be a load coming in or product ready to be put out. During that time you are helping out on the counter with customers and their questions about certain cuts of meat. Typical questions are usually what steak is the most tender? How would you prepare a certain cut of meat? What would you reccomend for dinner this evening? I have learned the different cuts of meat and how to cut some of the parts. I have also learned lots of different seafood and how to prepare them. I have also learned how to order product and using our system for inventory. The manager i have now is very knowledgable and has taught me a lot. My manger trusts me to get things done and does not have to worry about the tasks not being completed. I have learned a lot from my co workers and how to work efficiently together to make all our tasks easier. The hardest part of my current job is to conform to a new environment due to a travel requirement. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to share how to prepare meals and seeing the smile on the customers face when they come back to say they really enjoyed the recipe.
Pros
Benefits and weekly pay
Cons
The ability to advance is not accassable as desired
Small private owned store with chance for advancement in grocery market if chosen for yourself.Done by owner ,and employees with years of experienced
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Gila Bend, AZAugust 12, 2013
Private Owned Grocery Market .I have worked at this store for a few years in various positions produce, stocking,dairy and courtesy clerk.I then done the Meat Clerk position for a few months after completing a meat cutting course at the Maricopa Skill Center,but left the store to work at another to gain more meat cuuting experience,since the owner had planed to sell the store.I owe alot to the owner Lary Eng he did teach me to make a living and the employees guided me. It has been sometime since I've been in this exact work field.But I can assure future employers the job detail is still fresh in mind.
Pros
Very Freindly place to work flexible schedule
Cons
No healthcare
Fresh food first
meat clerk (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMarch 7, 2013
worked 33 years in meat department with knowing safe handling of food . High standard for the general public. Worked as a team member under direction of the meat manager. Federal rules and regerlation.applied. I enjoy working with the public.
Pros
very organized
Cons
lifting heavey boxes.
fast pace
Meat Clerk (Current Employee) –  Angels Camp, CANovember 3, 2012
Filling and organizing product, CLeaning and helping cutsomers
great people to work with
meat clerk (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CASeptember 17, 2012
the hardest part of my job was working as a meat clerk and not a cutter. but there just arent any cutter hrs.
productive and fun work place
MEAT CLERK/ SERVICE CLERK (Former Employee) –  patterson,caMarch 20, 2012
well working for savemart is a very good job and a good way to move up in the company.
Pros
good pay and its union
Cons
short breaks