Save Mart Supermarkets Culture reviews

Welcome to the ghetto
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CAApril 26, 2019
Do not work here unless you have done time! They hire their warehouse workers straight out of the ghetto of Sacramento. There is a thug/prison mentality in the night shift and I’ve seen fights during and after shifts. There is drinking and drugs on the job, management turns a blind eye as long as the trucks get loaded but don’t get caught looking at your cell phone or you’ll get suspended. The production standard is crazy fast which is why everyone is on drugs. Also you have to put in 5-10 years on graveyard shift throwing 70 pound cases before you can get a forklift or day shift bid. Definitely a young mans job. Management will stab you in the back and God forbid you get hurt on the job or you will be treated like you are faking it.
Only positive thing I can say is the pay and benefits are really good which is the only thing that kept me there as long as I stayed. Also there is a lot of vacation time and you can call out a lot without consequences. The union was pretty good but there are a lot of politics and gossip involved. Lots of rumors and gossip and a definite high school/prison culture. Expect to work OT on holidays.
Pros
Great pay and benefits, union
Cons
Ghetto culture, long hours, backbreaking work
The Save Mart Companies, a great place to work!
Marketing specialist (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAApril 26, 2019
The typical day in marketing is busy yet rewarding. There wasn't a week that went by that I wasn't learning new skill in project management, software or people skills. I truly enjoyed working there.
Pros
personal growth, flexible hours, promotion and great culture
Cons
management is unorganized
Loyal customers, clean and fun work Invierment fast pace,
Bakery Clerk/ Deli (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAApril 22, 2019
I loved working for save mart supermarkets, it taught me customer service, and showed me how good some people still are, the management was great as long as u communicate with them, fellow employees were very competitive.
Pros
Benefits paid vacation
Cons
Competitive fellow employees
fun
Deli Associate (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 26, 2019
good, busy, challenging, great coworkers, management is awesome, customers are friendly and appreciate the great quality of deli selection and great customer service we provide.
Not a good working enviorment
Senior Director of Operations (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 24, 2019
Hated going to work everyday working for Save Mart. Culture has been lost and the company is going in a different direction every quarter. The team is lost and confused. Turning over good management Team members because of poor communication and lack of direction.
Failing company - don't know how to treat people
Senior Managment (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAOctober 9, 2018
Outdated policies, infrastructure, poor leadership and no innovation will lead to the ultimate failure of the business. It was not a supportive work environment and politics were the rule of law. There are very few that survive who really care about the success of the company or people who do the work.
Pros
Employee discount, cost effective benefits
Cons
Politics, poor leadership, outdated infrastructure and polices
Excellent place of employment. Excellent management and people.
Meat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 24, 2018
Work is fast paced with emphasis on customer service and conditions making the workday productive and satisfying. Save Mart has a true identifiable culture. The fast pace can be a challenge but it will teach an employee priorities and organization as well as serving customers with a great attitude and a smile.
Pros
Work environment and the people. True retail culture.
Cons
Workload and responsibilties can be a challenge but definitely doable.
Fun work environment, great co-workers
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paradise, CAAugust 8, 2018
I very much enjoyed helping customers and working with my fellow co-workers. The co-workers were very caring and showed interest in your life and the really got to know other people including the customers.
Was a good company to work for.
Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAJuly 5, 2018
The management was fair and good to work for. Management sent me to schooling for my last job. Hardest part of job was getting other departments to you together.
Hours???
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVJune 15, 2018
I was cross trained in three different positions, but the hours could have improved for what I was doing, the team was a good one to work for, did have a really good customer base
Cashier - Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJune 6, 2018
A typical day, very busy at all times. I was given the opportunity to do bookkeeping which I enjoyed. The most enjoyable part was the customers. I got to know the clientele in the area.
Pros
Customers
Cons
Not many
Strict by Fair
Sr. Project Manager, Information Technology (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMay 17, 2018
The culture was one of strictness. It appeared that everyone was on pins and needles all the time. You could hear a pin drop. The employees were not the friendliest, some were even cut-throats.
I left for a new job at Tf tire
Bagger/Stocker (Former Employee) –  Porterville, CAApril 23, 2018
It was a great job I met a lot of great people. It was an awesome first job even though i left there it taught me a lot. I liked working for TF tire more because it felt more like a job then save mart
Pros
A lot of great people
A good part time job
Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAApril 15, 2018
Not a bad place for a job, I'd recommend Savemart to anybody who needs a part time job. The pay is ok and most of the coworkers are nice to work with. For the most part Savemart has its ups and downs, but overall it's a nice place to work.
Pros
flexible schedule, works with school
Cons
limited hours, weather conditions
happy place to work
Courtesy Clerk/florist (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 4, 2018
very fast paced work environment, always full time work, family work environment, room for advancement, Company is competitive and constantly growing.
great job
Gardener (Former Employee) –  Wenatchee, WAMarch 26, 2018
great environment and very educational! i really enjoyed working there ! when i had worked there als the other staff were kind and helpful when we helped the clients and worked in a team effort :)
fun workplace to work and very productive
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Visalia, CAFebruary 4, 2018
in a typical day we work as a team to get the job done and help customer the best way we can with their questions. everyday you would learn something new and improve your working skills. the management was good everyone got treated equally. the most enjoyable part of the job was sometimes our boss would bring us donuts in the morning.
Pros
discount card
Cons
no cons
Notice a really good team of individuals
Order Selector (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJanuary 28, 2018
Great benefits we would often have great work environments and great places to fuel off your peers n get great motivation to get the job done in a timely manner
Challenging
Scanning Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Reno, NVJanuary 21, 2018
I Actually enjoy my job. Many times Fustrating , and lack of recognition. The Work ethics of today have caused lack of employees willing to work.
Pay has not remained competitive to maintain or recruit talent.
Pros
set schedule vacation time and health benefits
Cons
work ethic enviroment
It used to be fun, but recently it really changed.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Central CaliforniaJanuary 19, 2018
For years they were a great company. Lots of room for advancement. A great company to learn from. Things really changed the past few years. A lot of new folks up in upper management who changed the culture of the company.
Pros
A great company to learn from.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save Mart Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight