Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Review

View all Save Mart Supermarkets reviews

Productive, customer service oriented workplace.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Madera, CAMay 21, 2013
As soon as I clocked in I had to make sure my tie was straight and my apron was neat, then I go to a cash register stand and proceed to checkout customers and their groceries.

Here, being my first job, I learned good work ethic and putting the store first, customer service above all, cash handling, and helping others.

The key carrier/supervisors were incredibly good managers working with employees and helping out as best they could. Unfortunately the store manager and the assistant store manager were not very good. The treatment of the employees was not very good. The head manager was quite strict and seemed like he didn't care about the people who worked for him. I even had a vacation cancelled without any notice ahead of time.

The hardest part was balancing work and school. There were times when I had to change my schedule at work because I had school at a certain time, even though I gave them my school schedule.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers because the fun we had made working bearable. I also liked being the reliable one to go in and cover a shift or help out when the store needed. I was known to call in to see if they needed me to go in early to work.
Pros
Really good health benefits and reasonable lunch hours
Cons
Treatment of employees is not very good. Overtime after 10 hours. 9.5 hour work day without overtime, and short breaks.

Other Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Company had no respect for they’re employees
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 16, 2019
Worked for the company for about six to seven years and not once was satisfied as an employee.. when company downsized they informed employees at the last moment.. some employees lost their homes due ti this.
1980's Style Business leadership
District Supervisor, Loss Prevention (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAJune 14, 2019
The company is firmly stuck in the 1980's style business culture where the bosses are bosses and anything below that is looked down upon while they drink in their offices.

Poor top down communication across departments along with unsustainable business practices. Company structure resembled an upside-down pyramid. Middle Management took the brunt of the work while upper leadership did little (arrive at 10am; leave at 2pm type of work day) and most managers felt unsupported by leadership.

However, work life balance was fantastic as there is very little overview and projects being turned in were rarely ever checked, used, or reviewed so at 5pm you could call it a day and go home.

Since no one is looking at you, yearly reviews (if they occur) are always fantastic as no one knows what exactly you do.
Pros
Great Work Life Balance
Cons
Zero leadership or Employee Development

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save Mart Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Ratings from women

3.2InHerSight Score

3.1Personal Development

3.3Career Opportunities

3.1Family Support

Women rate the female-friendliness of their workplaces on InHerSight