Save Mart Supermarkets Employee Reviews

Great place to work for a college/high school student
Multi-Purpose clerk (Former Employee) –  San Joaquin County, CASeptember 12, 2018
The job was great as a first job, but don't expect to make a career out of it. Unless you've already been with the company for 8 years, the highest you will ever get is a cashier, maybe. Once again, good place to start your working career, work to get out.
Pros
decent pay, 2-3 paid holidays, friendly work envirorment
Cons
little room for advancement, corporate will not stand by employees
fun work place
Multi-Purpose Clerk (Former Employee) –  Exeter, CASeptember 10, 2018
i enjoyed working for savemart.the only down side was the general store manager but i really enjoyed working here.i especially enjoyed working in all the different departments.
Pros
working in all departments
Cons
poor management
Management was disorganized and petty frequently
Accounts Receivable Deals Analyst/Collector (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CASeptember 8, 2018
I enjoyed the type of work most of the time, however, my office had very poor management. They seemed very uninterested in your moving ahead and had denied me on more than one occasion the opportunity to advance.
The management often alienated the workers and singled them out in front of the other employees at every opportunity
Pros
benifets
Cons
poor environment to work in
Good place to work.
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Rocklin, CASeptember 5, 2018
They were a good company to work for. Manager was fair and consistent in what was expected. Helped customers find things. Bagged groceries. Brought in shopping carts from parking lot. Watched shoppers to help aid in loss prevention.
very kind work space and people, a little challenging at times but always a blast to get through it.
Chasier (Former Employee) –  McGehee, ARSeptember 5, 2018
the typical day at work was alot of standing around, counting money and making money.
i learned that you never know how people are feeling about life when they walk up to you to buy food, so if they seem like they are upset at you dont take it to heart and compliment them or simply smile and tell them to have a nice rest of the day.
management was leanient to a point but also strict on it workers.
the hardest part of the job would honestly be having to go through so fast scan every item and get the exact change so that none becomes upset with how long youre taking or oprgetting to give them their extra 3 cents.
the most enjoyable part of my job was the way it made me feel, i felt like for the first time in forever i could actually be helping someone with their life each ansd every day, i met people that came in every day, they learned my name and became very sweet towards me.
Pros
trustead company.
Cons
very short 1 break in the 8 hours i worked each day.
It's a great place to work
Journeyman Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Davis, CASeptember 1, 2018
Save Mart is a good place to work. you need to be ready to run for your full shift and make sure all of your work and documents are in place before you leave your shift.
Pros
goood work
Customer service
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Lathrop, CAAugust 27, 2018
It’s a great customer service job. It’s very fast pace. You need to know how to multi task. Standard pay, could be better. Decent insurance. Team development. Work well with others. Receiving and unloading product. Produce production daily.
Excellent place of employment. Excellent management and people.
Meat Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 24, 2018
Work is fast paced with emphasis on customer service and conditions making the workday productive and satisfying. Save Mart has a true identifiable culture. The fast pace can be a challenge but it will teach an employee priorities and organization as well as serving customers with a great attitude and a smile.
Pros
Work environment and the people. True retail culture.
Cons
Workload and responsibilties can be a challenge but definitely doable.
Expect to feel isolated
Treasury and Tax Accountant, Fixed Assets (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 21, 2018
Savemart gives employees quite a bit of autonomy, but you can expect to feel isolated. I went days (weeks even) without speaking to a single person in the building, even though there were upwards of 200 people who worked there. You'll get stuck in a cubicle, and only called into a meeting when it's time for discipline.
Fun productive place to work
Service Specialist/Cashie/Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Fresno, CAAugust 20, 2018
I had the opportunity to work in many departments. Management was fair and always kept us busy in our down time. I learned a lot and acquired many skills.
management
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Los Banos, CAAugust 20, 2018
Frequent changes of managers. Some supervisors lacked friendliness to employees. Overall a good work experience, besides those 2 stated above. Just dont make conflict.
Not a bad place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CAAugust 20, 2018
On a typical day is ok, but it is really hard to advance within the company and if you are not at the top of the seniority list be prepared to be at the starting level for a while if you stick around (Clerks helper, pushing carts). It took me 8 years to make $14 and that is nothing to live off of. The people there are OK but there is a lot of gossip and unprofessionalism. Management needs to step their game up and do their job. The hardest part of the job is pushing carts in 104 degrees and being out there for a whole hour. I enjoy being at this job but plan on leaving because I cannot work with no advancement.
Pros
Nice customers and some employees
Cons
Too much gossip and short breaks for those pushing carts
Retail work is always changing.
Retail Grocery (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 18, 2018
Working in the grocery retail industry was a job I knew I could have for life. The expectations were very high. In the early part of my career I was given $6.00 p e r hour raise over 10 years
The last 25 years the raise was $4.00. That didn't keep up with the cost of living in California. But I was able to retire at 51 year's old.
Pros
Many different jobs to do in mu career.
Cons
Pay didn't keep up with cost of inflation.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  McGehee, ARAugust 18, 2018
I loved it at Save Mart I love being a cashier it was amazing Plus to have a smile on your face and talk to the customer see if they have everything they needed
Pros
Idk
Cons
30 min break
Faced paced and forever evolving
Bakery Clerk (Current Employee) –  Grass Valley, CAAugust 8, 2018
This is a family company but it’s all about supply and demand in this business. Schedules cover any and all hours. You are always working for the customer. It can be hectic but the people here can be like a second family.
Fun work environment, great co-workers
Front End Specialist (Former Employee) –  Paradise, CAAugust 8, 2018
I very much enjoyed helping customers and working with my fellow co-workers. The co-workers were very caring and showed interest in your life and the really got to know other people including the customers.
Stressful,unrealistic goals,
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAAugust 6, 2018
Work and life balance almost non existent. Too many tasks not enough time. Days off are spent still trying to complete job tasks. Lunches are spent completing tasks. Supervision and other office employees look for reasons to take pictures and put blame on stores.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Number of hours. Unrealistic goals
Fast paced customer service oriented environment.
Front End Specialist & Bakery/Deli Cross (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAAugust 5, 2018
I loved my job at save-mart.
I was cross trained in the bakery/deli and got a pay bump up for working in different departments.
The people I worked with made bad days good.
The hardest work was the holidays. It was brutally busy and high levels of stress & anxiety from the workers and customers
Pros
Employee discount on holidays.
Cons
Working until midnight and having a opening shift at 6 am the next day.
Work
Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAJuly 28, 2018
They did not move anyone I worked with up we all stayed at our positions. They brough people from Modesto to wirk at our store so the did not have to pay as much.
Underpaid easy going job
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVJuly 24, 2018
Working there got me experience with handling customers and just overall doing tasks given to me around the store. It was an easy going job that got very repetitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save Mart Supermarkets. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Save Mart Supermarkets.

Powered by Comparably