Save the Children Employee Reviews

Very fun with a lot of nice people
Assistant Cordinator (Current Employee) –  Lenwood ElementryNovember 26, 2018
I have learned a lot from working at save the children, many nice and kind people. i have learned a lot working with children and
i have many wonderful memories.
Poor management
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  EgyptNovember 5, 2018
Save the Children vision and work is one of the best all over the world, however, I was working in Egypt Country Office which had a very poor management and staff were corrupted.
Pros
vision and mission
Cons
corruption
Good mission, Bad management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTOctober 31, 2018
- Organization suffers from constant turnover.
- Far too many meetings where nothing gets accomplished.
- Not enough support for employees to get outside training.
- Not much room for advancement.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Bad management.
Temping There Was a Great Experience
Transition Accountant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTOctober 27, 2018
Very congenial atmosphere. Remarkably welcoming and friendly environment. In the short time I was ther to work on a project, I met many very dedicated, professional, and competent people. It is a very nice place to work, with really amazing benefits for employees. Pay is under market, they make up for it in other ways.
Pros
Nice People Who Care About Children
Cons
No Permanent Postion in my Field
Company to Large to Adequately Manage All Programs
HEAD START TEACHER (Current Employee) –  ArkansasOctober 25, 2018
This company is too diverse in the work that they do and are not always able to take care of all programs equally. The US Programs seem to be at the bottom of their priority list.
It is not a good place to work.
Early Head Start Teacher (Current Employee) –  ArkansasOctober 22, 2018
I have not enjoyed working for this company. We experienced many payroll problems. Upper management was out of touch with local management. Policies and procedures were unnecessarily complicated.
Learned a lot when interning at Save the Children
Internship (Former Employee) –  Helsingborgs kommunAugust 27, 2018
I was very pleased with my experience at Save the Children and really enjoyed learning more about their way of working in smaller cities. It was very rewarding to learn how to plan projects and events in order to spread the word about Save the Children and the very important work they do every day.
Stressful
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2018
Embarrassing to flag down people coming in and out of shops and trying to explain to them why they should donate $20 a month. No job security whatsoever.
Hard place to work with very little work/life balance.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTAugust 3, 2018
Hard subject matter combined with a top-heavy management style and a cut-throat culture results in unrealistic expectation setting, lack luster top-down communication and flawed and unrealistic strategies. Working extended hours is the norm and is very much expected (even celebrated!)-- every week (and some if not most weekends). Overall results in major burn out and not the best morale.
Pros
Doing something that does benefit children in need around the world.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
Productve Place to work
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJuly 21, 2018
It was cool working there. I worked there for 7 years. I learned a lot about the non profit world and about different emergencies all over the whole world.
Corporate environment can sometimes stifle creativity
Director, Fundraising (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJuly 19, 2018
I enjoyed my diverse experiences there as served in several different areas of fundraising. Found the senior management to be largely inflexible in adjusting policies to allow for maximum effort from staff. Despite that, the team works well together and there is a lot of good support from peer team members.
Pros
Great team mates
Cons
inflexible policies and some unrealistic expectations
Great
Senior Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Advisor (Current Employee) –  Federal Capital TerritoryJune 28, 2018
Awesome place to work and learn. There us opportunity for career advancement and skills building. The health insurance and pensions are great. The staff are lovely. There is work life balance
Pros
Free breakfast
Cons
Short breaks
Good child focused agency
Program Development & Quality Unit (Director) (Former Employee) –  SudanJune 26, 2018
I had a line up of good bosses at the regional office and national office. Systems could be improved. Gives good learning opportunities due to size and breadth of programs.
Pros
Spread very wide in terms of geographical coverage and program coverage.
Cons
Weak systems
it was very fun and encouraging
Volunteer in Zaatari Refugee Camp (Former Employee) –  jordan mnJune 20, 2018
I learned the importance of volunteer work and teamwork , Enjoy when you see the smile on the faces of their help, a wonderful team and organization with a wonderful working environment
Horrible work/Life balance
Manager, Corporate Partnerships (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJune 18, 2018
Save HQ in Fairfield, CT is a terrible place to work. Their “continuous work policy” requires you to work if you are awake, including working weekends. Pay is terrible and there’s absolutely no work/life balance. Management is downright cruel. We had a “crying room” stocked with tissues. It took me a few months to work up to being able to wait until I got home to cry. There’s no training and the expectations to perform from day 1 are unrealistic. I stayed for 6 months until I could find a better job! The company is basically full of ignorant bright-eyed 20-something millennials who have no families and are willing to work 14 plus hour days for very low pay. Most Managers only have BA degrees. I have a MA degree with over a decade of Director level experience but was offered an entry Manager position with the promise to move up quickly, but it didn’t take long to see that there’s little chance to move up.
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
Awful management, overly corporate environment
Executive and fun place to work at
Application Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTMay 25, 2018
A typical day of work would start with a status meeting directed by the project manager. Tasks and schedule was reviewed and adjusted to meet priorities and goals.
People at the workplace were very friendly and eager to share experiences on such a diverse environment.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the ability to work remotely in hours in which the central equipment was very fast; and help from supervisors was always available. The level of collaboration between remote programmers was magnificent and that helped to keep a very efficient team.
Pros
Ability to work remotely. Latest technology equipment and software.
Cons
None to be mention
good
Advocacy Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 21, 2018
Definitely learned a lot and got to meet many people that inspired me. Everyone was so kind and giving and there were many lectures that were educational.
Great experiences with working with children / families.
EHS M H& D Specialist (Current Employee) –  Indianola, MSMay 21, 2018
This Head Start program like many other HS programs has it pros and cons. Experience has taught me to learn from mistakes and accept what cant be changed individually. The experiences gained from working with children and families who is accepting of the help provided is wonderful.
Pros
Great benefits, hours and opportunity to serve children and families
Cons
various program challenges.
Volunteer Specialist (Former Employee) –  VariousMay 14, 2018
Coworkers and management was always good, we worked on various projects together raising funds for charitable causes and everyone was always upbeat and positive.
ambiente divertido
monitora (Former Employee) –  madridMay 8, 2018
Aquí me desarrollé como monitora de actividades de ocio.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save the Children. Our community is ready to answer.

Diversity score

Comparably
Diversity Score

The Comparably Diversity Score tracks how positively diverse employees rate their experience at Save the Children.

Powered by Comparably