Save the Children Employee Reviews

I no longer donate to Non-profit companies
Procurement and Sourcing (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTFebruary 28, 2019
After working and seeing how the money was managed I cancelled my subscriptions to every non-profit organization, this should tell you enough... HR does not care for employee complaints. I was approached for a new position, then HR sat with me, thanked me and said it was not possible because "the paperwork and transition process would take months". My manager treated me horribly even when my performance evaluation was 100%. If you have another offer TAKE IT.
Pros
summer fridays, free online employee trainings
Cons
Miss-information, disrespectful management, HR does not care for complaints.
March 4, 2019

Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, we haven't lost any Procurement and Sourcing staff from the Fairfield office in many years, so it's difficult to pinpoint how we might best help. If you would like to discuss your concerns, we're here, and listening! Please feel free to reach out to me directly at tferrett@savechildren.org

Stc
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CT 06825February 22, 2019
If hired, there is potential to advance but it is limited dependent on your current position. Positions are sometimes overloaded with work and not much compensation.
Pros
Excellent benefits, health insurace and PTO
Cons
Loaded days, not much room for growth.
Not With DirectDialogue
Marketing Specialist (Former Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 14, 2019
Worked with direct dialogue as a fundraiser.
Save the Children is a great nonprofit while DialogueDirect is a horrible place to work.
Run similar to a pyramid scheme they are constantly changing management as no one stays for long.
Great environment to study and get experience
Project Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vietnam, PRFebruary 13, 2019
SCI at Vietnam has many intern positions for youths who eager to learn new things and get new skills
Managers were very supportive and sympathetic. When I had a medical problem and needed days off, the manager assigned another girl in the team help me share tasks.
Nice benefits horrible upper managers
Texas Program Education Manager (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 6, 2019
The company stole money from Harvey victims.Well it’s not a lot to say about this company the benefits were going to put the upper management was horrible I don’t care about diversity they treated people that were not a white differently so it was just not a good fit for a job again they stole and they came in the day after New Year’s I got rid of everybody and so that was a very difficult day
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
No job security
Horrible Management
worker (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJanuary 22, 2019
Bad national management, HR is a joke never came to help out the employees that were asking for help because of the education director and her managers being bullies, disrespectful and unethical behavior. HR came down to give lay-off notices because they budget had been overdrawn...by the same people causing trauma amount the workers, this could have been avoided if HR would have listened and if upper-level management would have been paying attention. HOW ARE YOU NOT GOING TO HAVE A DETAILED BUDGET CHART KEEPING UP WITH WHAT YOU HAVE SPENT AND PROMISED. It's an everyday life skill adults have to deal with, knowing how much you have in your bank account and what you can and can't spend. I don't understand how this international company has not to help upper-level management accountable only local workers that paid the price and are now unemployed. Most of the people in the Houston team were really there for the children and to help out those affected by Harvey, somewhere there for the check.
Pros
Good benefits, vacation time
Cons
everything else
Manager, Corporate Employee Engagemnt (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTJanuary 17, 2019
Save the Children is a wonderful place to work, The work/ life balance is an important part of the culture, and the entire organization runs on the mission to ensure children everywhere are healthy, learning and safe. The hardest part about working there is the low salary - but understanding it is a nonprofit, it is a sacrifice those should make if they wish to work in that role.
Pros
Friendly colleagues, empowering mission, benefits
Cons
Salary, little benefits for recent college graduates without children
Good benefit package.
Early Head Start Teacher (Current Employee) –  Drew, MSJanuary 14, 2019
Provided numerous opportunities for growth. Save the Children offered various training sessions to allow teachers and staff to perform better. Save the Children allowed employees to express their opinions without retaliation.
January 17, 2019

Thank you so much for your kind words! You know we love our Head Start team!

Save the Children
Fiscal Specialist (Former Employee) –  Russellville, ARJanuary 10, 2019
I liked working for save but the staff worked with each other for years and they had a problem with new people starting. I like i got to work independently and I got the job done.
January 17, 2019

Thanks for sharing your feedback... we know it can be tough for new folks to fit in to an existing team that's been together for years. Hopefully you enjoyed your time with us, and perhaps we'll work together again!

From an Intern
Data Management and Visualization Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 8, 2019
I was an intern with StC USA and I loved my experience. I was given a solid amount of work and was given the freedom I desired for my work. There wasn't a lot of shoulder hovering for my work and the team I was on was extremely supportive of what I wanted to do.
Pros
Good work environment
Cons
Seems like upward mobility would be tough
January 17, 2019

We're so glad you had such a great experience, and hope that you'll consider us for a future internship or full time opportunity!

Good people but big bureaucracy
Deputy Director (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTNovember 28, 2018
Save the Children does good work around the world but it is a huge organization so it can be challenging to navigate the structure and politics. They need to look at their performance evaluation as well as people seem to hang on to their roles and continually get promoted without merit which is frustrating to those around them.
Very fun with a lot of nice people
Assistant Cordinator (Current Employee) –  Lenwood ElementryNovember 26, 2018
I have learned a lot from working at save the children, many nice and kind people. i have learned a lot working with children and
i have many wonderful memories.
January 17, 2019

Five stars?? Wow! We appreciate YOU just as much! The work you are doing is so important in the lives of children. Keep it up!

Poor management
Supply Chain Manager (Former Employee) –  EgyptNovember 5, 2018
Save the Children vision and work is one of the best all over the world, however, I was working in Egypt Country Office which had a very poor management and staff were corrupted.
Pros
vision and mission
Cons
corruption
Good mission, Bad management
Manager (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTOctober 31, 2018
- Organization suffers from constant turnover.
- Far too many meetings where nothing gets accomplished.
- Not enough support for employees to get outside training.
- Not much room for advancement.
Pros
Great mission
Cons
Bad management.
January 17, 2019

Thanks for your comment, but regarding turnover... our turnover rate is actually quite low at 13%! Of course, change and losing any teammate can be tough, so we understand how it can be a challenge. Regarding meetings, one of the great things about Save the Children is how often we communicate and get to interact directly with our leaders. However, if you feel the meetings are ineffective, there's a great opportunity for you to bring ADI principles to your team.. just sign up for your own personal training via Cornerstone!

Temping There Was a Great Experience
Transition Accountant (Former Employee) –  Fairfield, CTOctober 27, 2018
Very congenial atmosphere. Remarkably welcoming and friendly environment. In the short time I was ther to work on a project, I met many very dedicated, professional, and competent people. It is a very nice place to work, with really amazing benefits for employees. Pay is under market, they make up for it in other ways.
Pros
Nice People Who Care About Children
Cons
No Permanent Postion in my Field
January 17, 2019

Aw, thanks! We appreciate you, even if we only worked together on a temporary basis! Definitely keep an eye on our job opportunities... accounting skills are needed in EVERY department here at Save the Children!

Company to Large to Adequately Manage All Programs
HEAD START TEACHER (Current Employee) –  ArkansasOctober 25, 2018
This company is too diverse in the work that they do and are not always able to take care of all programs equally. The US Programs seem to be at the bottom of their priority list.
It is not a good place to work.
Early Head Start Teacher (Current Employee) –  ArkansasOctober 22, 2018
I have not enjoyed working for this company. We experienced many payroll problems. Upper management was out of touch with local management. Policies and procedures were unnecessarily complicated.
Stressful
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 12, 2018
Embarrassing to flag down people coming in and out of shops and trying to explain to them why they should donate $20 a month. No job security whatsoever.
Hard place to work with very little work/life balance.
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfield, CTAugust 3, 2018
Hard subject matter combined with a top-heavy management style and a cut-throat culture results in unrealistic expectation setting, lack luster top-down communication and flawed and unrealistic strategies. Working extended hours is the norm and is very much expected (even celebrated!)-- every week (and some if not most weekends). Overall results in major burn out and not the best morale.
Pros
Doing something that does benefit children in need around the world.
Cons
Pretty much everything else.
January 17, 2019

We get it... the work we do in saving children's lives is hard stuff. It's not simple (if it were, everyone would be doing it), and requires an ability to shift priorities quickly and roll with the punches. Have you discussed your work/life balance with your manager or HR Business advisor? If not, that should be your first step, so someone can give you a hand... we don't always see these reviews, but when we do, we take them seriously. A "cut-throat culture" is not what we want for anyone, but we can't fix what we don't know... so again, please share your concerns and examples with your HR Business Advisor so we can help!

Productve Place to work
Web Designer (Former Employee) –  Westport, CTJuly 21, 2018
It was cool working there. I worked there for 7 years. I learned a lot about the non profit world and about different emergencies all over the whole world.
January 17, 2019

Well, we think you're pretty cool, too! If you ever want to come back, we're always looking for great IT talent!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Save the Children. Our community is ready to answer.

Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

100%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

100%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.

Powered by Fairygodboss