Saving Sight Employee Reviews

Making a difference everyday!
Donor Services Center Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 24, 2019
I love working for Saving Sight! The employees are very special and really care about what they are doing and making a difference in the lives of others.
Don't work there
Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 20, 2019
Management is selective as to who they will train and support. They will tell you the job entails one thing only to switch it to a more menial task if they hire someone they like better. If you go to management to ask about training or policy they will tell you they already discussed it even though you only know it exists because you overheard them tell someone else about it. If you ask for assistance they will claim they don't know who you should go to until after you leave and then blame you for not knowing more than they do. If they offer assistance they will renege on the offer if you actually take them up on it.. Not a good job for people with experience, consider somewhere else. I have worked in many hospitals and labs and this was one of the most poorly managed organizations I have seen.
The organization fills a need in the area and most of the actual employees in the other departments are extremely nice. If they could correct the problems with management and the cliquish nature found in certain areas this could be a great company to work for.
Pros
nice people to work for, not for profit, good benefits
Cons
management, cliquish nature, poor training, high turnover
Excellent Place to Work
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 18, 2019
I have worked in many different private practices and hospitals, but I have never experienced a work environment like this one. The culture here at Saving Sight is amazing. I know there are some negative reviews on here about work overload and difficult management, but that hasn't been my experience. We were understaffed for a time, so there was a bit more work than usual, but I wouldn't say that is the norm. There are definitely days where workload can get a little crazy, but that's how it is in any job. Plus, our managers jump in to help if they see we are swamped.

Management goes out of it's way to make improvements if there are any concerns. They encourage their employees daily and give them plenty of opportunities for growth. They are understanding of your life outside of work.

The benefits alone are insane. I have never worked anywhere that offers as much PTO to all of it's employees across the board. And, they offer the best health insurance plan that I've ever had through a place of employment.

If you work hard and put in the effort, you will be recognized. Your coworkers and bosses WANT you to succeed! I have never enjoyed working anywhere more than I have at Saving Sight.
Pros
Benefits, great work environment, opportunities to advance
Underappreciated
Donation Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 31, 2018
The management will blindside you everything you're doing wrong over a month after it happens and will never show gratitude for the service that you provide, and that's if you're the one they decide they do not like. Favortism is rampant in this company and because of this employees are not held to the same standards. The benefits and ample time off are still not enough to compensate for the overbearing and unappreciative management. Its unsettling when you decide to address the issue that I had seen a dozen employees (in a company site of maybe 40 people) leave this company and less than a year's time and it's regarded as par for the course. There is no room for growth or development. This, at its best, is a place holding job until something better comes along.
Pros
Great benefits, Pto, manageable schedule
Cons
Bias management, no room for growth, poor training
Do not work here
Eye Bank Technician (Former Employee) –  EverywhereNovember 17, 2018
Even though they work towards a great cause this company is nothing but full of lying people. They mistreat their best employees. No opportunity for advancement. Poor management. No recognition and talents are not recognized. Don’t waste your time.
Great company working for a great cause
Medical Review Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOJuly 18, 2018
I enjoyed my time at Saving Sight! The only reason I had to leave was because my job was relocated to Columbia MO...Or I wo9uld still be there! They understand that "life happens" and let me work around doctors appointments, etc.
N/a
Certified Eye Bank Technician (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 28, 2016
Very busy. understaffed. under appreciated. under paid. benefits are decreasing. all good employees are quitting. this should be telling management that there is a problem with how this organization is being ran.
Disrespectful management, company full of lies
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 5, 2016
A typical day at work consists of disrespect from management, running around doing multiple departments jobs, and wondering when the heck you can go home. Although I did learn about ocular anatomy, most of the knowledge I gained was through sitting by myself looking into a microscope waiting for someone from management to come back and help. They rarely did.
This company will lie straight to your face. When "promoted" to Lab Tech I lost $700 a month due to losing mileage but no longer had to be on call. I was told that the more I learned in the lab the more I would be paid. When I asked them about this later they denied it.One of their favorite sayings is, "That's just the way it is."
They have also RETROACTIVELY reduced the retirement plan by over half, reduced PTO, refused raises (while another department got raises out of cycle), and took away bonuses. Meanwhile upper management hires a "team" of 5 that are directly under the CEO making extremely good money. I got paid $10,000 under national average. And new employees were making more money than me after I had been there for 2 years.
"We just don't have the money." is what they will say. And then they turn around and want to spend money on extremely expensive equipment that we don't need. Buying a new centrifuge, flowhood, incubator (that has sat for a year and we use a box with a light to warm up tissue).
This company is extremely rude and knows nothing about keeping it's employees happy. I would not wish this job on my worst enemy.
FAST FACT: 63.5% OF THIS COMPANY IS A MANAGER OR HIGHER.
Pros
Going home at the end of the day
Cons
Working for Saving Sight
Rewarding Job!
Medical Review Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Springfield MOApril 13, 2016
I loved being able to go through patients charts and the knowledge that I was helping someone regain their sight through cornea donations.
Pros
Hour lunch, health care, vacation time.
Cons
My job is moving to Columbia MO
Company Executives are despicable
Recovery Technician (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MOMarch 18, 2016
Aside from the few good people there, almost all of the managers and company executives are terrible people. Being a recovery technician is dreadful and fun at the same time. The hours are killer, but you get to do something not everyone can say they have done.
Pros
Interesting work experience
Cons
Most management and company executives are terrible people.
Great collaborative work environment
Technician (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MOJune 19, 2015
The staff are all great, everyone is very nice, and the work environment is very collaborative. Management is also good and there is a clear passion for the work among staff and managers.