Saxbys Coffee Employee Reviews

Relaxed Workplace with Minor Flaws
Host (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMay 16, 2019
While my time at Saxbys Coffee was relatively short lived, I enjoyed my time there due to the workplace culture Saxbys has created. Most of the tasks assigned to a host were minimal and it was up to the host or team leader to assign him/her to whatever task needed attending. The typical day for a host was serving basic coffee based drinks and helping baristas make espresso based drinks at times, as well as ringing up customers on their Point of Sales system and greeting them with a smile. During my time there I received paychecks biweekly, however at times there were issues with payments and scheduling shifts. I hadn't been payed for two closing shifts and because of the amount of employees being brought in it was difficult to work for more than 14 hours a week. Management changes as new student CEOs are brought in and the newly created shift schedule can sometimes leave employees out of work for a good couple of days, maybe even weeks. The most enjoyable part of this job was easily the workplace environment. Consisting of mostly current college students the workplace environment was light-hearted and easy to adapt to, with friendly faces helping guide new employees.
Pros
Payed breaks, flexible schedule, good workplace culture
Cons
scheduling
Great
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 8, 2019
This is an incredible company, I would always recommend Saxbys. The company culture, the ability to rise in the company is something that makes the job even more fulfilling.
It was alright
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Ambler, PAApril 1, 2019
The Saxbys I worked at was just close to my house which was why I worked there. The work was not difficult and easy to learn after a short time. I worked alone in the kitchen so it got a bit boring when there were no orders coming in.
Great Place to start career
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 25, 2019
Saxbys is a great place for developing leaders. A place where you can harness your leadership skills and figure out a career path to pursue. Not a great place for established leaders.
Pros
Place for lerdership experience
Cons
Not great for growth
Good job with good discounts.
Barista (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 19, 2019
Make coffee, lattes, cappuccinos, and food items. Take customers orders. Clean back and front of house. Stock and prep all items to make coffee and food items.
Fun work environment, low pay
Barista/Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 15, 2019
For what is expected of you, the pay is simply not enough. The team is great but promotion doesn't also happen to the people that it should and not enough attention is paid to how they are handling their job.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Hard
They make it seem like the best job ever but they have a dark past and after being there for a while you start to see behind through the front .
Barista (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 24, 2018
When I first started in late 2017 I thought it was an awesome job with a great environment and fun culture. The cafe I started at didn't do as well as they hoped so they bounced me around to a total of 5 different cafes in the span of a year. Over that time you get to work under very different managing styles. The company refers to their management positions as CEO's (Cafe Executive Officer) and they're in charge of just about everything. Recently the company has had difficulty with keeping people in this position due to the pay and the amount of work they're responsible for. It's because of this these CEO's quit and the cafes are losing their in-house managers and have to rely on an area manager that's in charge of several cafes at once. This causes mass confusion and basically an utter lack of management and nothing ever goes right and you are always at fault.

and manage
Pros
Free coffee and some really wonderful employees
Cons
Horrible management
cool
Assistant General Manager (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 1, 2018
it was cool working at Saxbys. Not receiving benefits only if you're a manager was definitely an issue for me but i ended up getting medicaid. The pay isn't that great either but he does give 50 raises for hard work.
great people and good management. Great building step to learn people skills.
Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Durham, NHMay 17, 2018
I've learned how to work very proficiently as a Team Lead here at SAXBYS. I a host, barista, and kitchen trained now. I also became serve safe certified through saxes. I've learned how to become very hospitable through this job and have greatly developed my people skills and interpersonal relationships with fellow team members.
Great work enviroment
Manager (Former Employee) –  Haverford, PAMay 13, 2018
While at Saxbys I oversaw daily operations and managed the staff to ensure a great customer environment. I always enjoyed working for Saxbys and had a great work/life balance. The issue was there was little opportunity for advancement and the compensation was well below average for similar positions in other companies.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Small company with some growing pains
A great place to work
Customer Service and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 19, 2018
Saxby's was one of the best jobs I have ever had. I loved the early mornings, making sweet smelling coffee, teas and yummy pastries. I was in charge of the open mic night on Wednesday nights, which brought in a alot great talent and customers to enjoy the wide array of drink choices. It was unfortunate that the location I was at closed down!
Pros
everything about it
Cons
no compliants
Saxbys- Relaxed but fast-paced with excellent management
Barista/Hostess/Hospitality Industry (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 31, 2018
Saxbys is an excellent place for students to work in the Greater Philadelphia Area. Saxbys provides all of its employees with a great skill set that they can take to any other job. Saxbys is very considerate of their employees.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Limited Hours
Productive and Fun Work Place
Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 20, 2018
A great company to work for. They really take pride in the product and the experience the offer to the guests. You feel like a part of a team that is working to improve people's lives in a small way
Upbeat, fun active work place
Barista/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 7, 2018
A typical day at work consist of a steady pace of friendly guest. I picked up many skills such as working at overwhelming rushes, job culture keeps you up lifting and the hardest part was running out of coffee. Overall the most enjoyable part about my job was the guest interaction.
Pros
on shift drinks half priced food
Cons
15 min breaks on a 8hr shift.
Fun and exciting!
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHFebruary 28, 2018
Serving coffee is a fun experience. You get to meet a lot of different people and make a lot of fun friends in the process. It was worth the experience!
Pros
discounted coffee products
Fun workplace
Assisted the manager (Former Employee) –  Henrico County, VANovember 6, 2017
Would prepare the drinks for the customers and attend the cash register. Also assisted the manger in opening and closing the store. Work about 40-45 hours a week.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
short breaks
Its Cool
Barista (Former Employee) –  Washington City, DCSeptember 7, 2017
Working at Saxbys is cool. The owner can be pretty rude at times when something doesn't go his way and you have to tell him about himself and then he decides to apologize. You don't recieve benifits even as a full time worker! It's only for the managers. It is a fun environment to work in though! Barely get raises and if we do it's 25cent once a year.
Pros
fun
Cons
healthcare, pay
Good team members, but management is lousy
Barista (Former Employee) –  Lahaska, PAJune 23, 2017
Fun working as a barista, but management was a complete mess. 1st boss never told me they left so it took 3 weeks to get my job back for the Summer and I was let go this Summer because I couldn't offer enough hours, even though I explained to them that I was TEMPORARILY unable to work many hours because I was taking two community college classes for 6 weeks.

---I am speaking from my PERSONAL experience at ONE SPECIFIC location and am not in any way putting down the whole company---
Pros
Free drinks, good tips
Cons
Horrible management, short notice of schedules, ten minute lunch break regardless of working long hours
Basic hourly job, nothing special
Shift Lead (Former Employee) –  Lahaska, PAJune 18, 2017
Would not recommend to anyone looking for career advancement. Impossible to grow, no benefits. It's like pulling teeth trying to get help from upper management.
Laid-back fun environment
Barista (Current Employee) –  Centerville, OHMay 8, 2017
Great staff and customers, you work fairly hard for not a lot of pay, but tips can be an inconsistent bonus. Coming in is always good but standing for the entire shift day after day can become monotonous
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Low Pay