SC JOHNSON
58Below average

SC JOHNSON Employee Reviews

United States141 reviews
Good company to work in, you need to be willing to deal with lots of politics and slow decision making, work life balance is not what it used to be but still descent. Very risk averse, so do not get surprised if decisions are conservative and not taking necessary and measured risks. Systems in general are very behind the industry.
Pros
Great benefits, care about people, being private allows the company to see more longer term vs the immediate results
Cons
Strong politics, Systems are behind the Industry, lack of some processes
I discovered that they had contacting my current manager - without permission - before I even interviewed. They then brought up a question from this discussion in interview (based on a false statement my previous manager had made).
Very unethical
Official response from SC JOHNSON
April 14, 2020
Thank you for sharing your feedback. We have reviewed these details internally with our recruiting teams and HR partners and have been unable to identify a situation where this may have happened. Please know that reaching out to current employers or managers without an applicant or employee’s permission is not part of our process. If you wish to discuss the issue further, we would welcome any additional details or feedback to scjhr@scj.com.
Do your research before you take the job they are offering you. Watch what you say around the people around you and never take your job for granted. While you are working make sure you do it by the book or their will be repercussions.
Poor management. Cares more about diversity than employee performance. Very slow progression. If your looking for a career with quick advancement, keep looking. They start you in the warehouse and keep you there as long as they can, no matter how good or bad you are. Seems like someone is always out to get you for something. Swing shift is terrible. Takes years off your life. I moved on.
Una empresa con execelente ámbito laboral y buen ambiente de trabajo
Cons
Job seekers rely on your experience.
SCJ is a good place to learn corporate basics, and overall a decent place to work. It's very large and extremely slow moving. Being privately owned allows SCJ to pursue and adhere to values that may not be best for the bottom line, which is a cool thing.

Middle management is bloated but there are some absolute all-stars if you are lucky enough to work with them.

Advancement and raises are slow and favor those who talk and work the politics.

The culture is good overall, but at times lacks a sense of urgency and almost always lacks accountability - conversely, this means the work/life balance is generally very good. Telecommuting options and summer hours are a big plus.
Great company. Bad management. As of recent the company was amazing. We have had numerous transitions within the organization making things very tense
Need to do a lot better than what they are doing as far as keeping machine working and a little better on attitudes would be perfect to keep working..
Friendly atmosphere and everybody treat me with respect. No benefits and no comment on the salary since I'm a contractor . I'm happy with work schedule.
Work there as a temp worker. Treated very poorly by management and the employees on the job. Often left to do all the work on the floor while employees lounge.
They make promises that aren't kept. I believe in the company as a whole but our department is extremely toxic with micromanaging leadership and watchful employees. There is zero work life balance and the work from home policy is a farce. You should drive into the office in a snowstorm v. working from home. No trust in employees. I know not all departments are like this and some are wonderful. It's the luck of the draw. Beware!!
Overall good company to work with.
12 hour shifts, 3-4 days of work a week.

The manager at my employed time was very understanding / respectful to employees.
It's all about who you know and if you don't other employees and managers are out to get your job. Fellow employees will will keep a written journal of everything you do to report to the manager.
Used to be a good place to build a career but as the culture has changed it has become more of a place to get experience and move on. Hopefully everything works out for them and the goals they have set.
Certain groups of the company believe in intimidation and silencing those that leadership has targeted as someone that they do not personally like. Any sort of development or coaching that you attempted to receive early in your career at this company, is quickly removed once this stigma is placed on your name.

Try to stay in the leadership's good graces, otherwise you are shunned and pushed to the side until you voluntarily leave.
During the time I worked here, the company was under going a transition, which affected it's culture. When I left, the culture did not have that "family feel" and some managers practiced the values that made the company culture great, while others only provided lip service.
The job was well paying, but stressful and there was a lack of support from direct supervisor. Training for the job was passed off to a co-worker hired only a few weeks prior.
Fast paced work environment
Great collaboration between team members

Clear forecasting tools

DITL was well designed

Two designated days to plan production work without interruption
Very difficult culture to understand and hard to fit in to . place where everyone knows each other and very hard to fit in, learn the job, and concentrate at work.
I very much enjoy working at scj but I need to find bigger and better things. I have had many opportunities over the years of being here but 1st shift was never one of them, and that is the only reason I would be leaving this company
The shift they was hiring for left you with no transportation for work to home. But the work environment was food pleasant and fast pace. To work with a team was a good night.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at SC JOHNSON. Our community is ready to answer.
Women's ratings

3.5Fairygodboss Score

0%say women are treated fairly and equally to men

50%would recommend to other women

Fairygodboss provides free job reviews for women, by women.