SCE&G Employee Reviews

Ratings breakdown
Customer relations specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCApril 23, 2018
It was a great place to work and room for advancement. Supervisors was very supportive as well. I liked how you got a raise every 6 months and that it was a great enviorment to work in and got along with everyone there. They look out for their employees.
Pros
hour lunches
Cons
no cons
Not to bad a place to work.
Remittance Accountant, (Temporary to Permanent) (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCApril 22, 2018
Couldn't really complain. If you work for a living all you can do is go in, mind your business, get job done, go home. If there is room for advancement, depending on your management, you can advance.
A lot of people got laid off due to corporate decisions
Plant Support Engineer Intern (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCMarch 18, 2018
I don't think this is the time to be working for SCE&G, with the ceased nuclear construction, it is a volatile time I would assume. SCE&G is not entirely to blame, and SCANA, it's parent company holds more of that.
Pros
Relaxed culture
Cons
modest pay
Abandoned Project
Nuclear Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCJanuary 15, 2018
Was a great place to work - culture, pace, challenge, etc. - but the project was abandoned - so job security became "0". Everyone was generally treated with respect and management did engage with employees.
Pros
Culture, Pay & Benefits
Cons
Project abandonment caused massive layoff
Typical
System Control Computer Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Cayce, SCDecember 21, 2017
I worked in the TOC and we basically did Help Desk work. The work you do there is very proprietary so if you're looking for a stepping stone to a new position this is not a good spot.
Pros
Nice people, good work experience, good pay
Cons
no upward movement
excellent place to work
Emergency Response Specialist I (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCNovember 30, 2017
I enjoyed my time with the company. Management was very supportive. There was a focus on working safely. There would have been opportunities for advancement, had the new nuclear project not been cancelled.
Pros
Supportive work environment
Cons
Layoffs due to nuclear construction cancellation
System Engineer IV (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCNovember 23, 2017
Great place to work. Good moral and work ethics. The pay is on the lower end of the pay scale. Decent benefits, but make sure to get promises in writing.
Great work enviroment
Customer Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  North Charleston, SCOctober 13, 2017
Great environment and offer great benefits! Management and policies aren't consistent but not unbearable. Hardest part of the job is maintaining monthly stats.
Low Morale, High Expectations
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCOctober 4, 2017
Working in customer service is challenging but believe it or not customers aren't but so difficult in this industry considering electricity and/gas is a necessity.
Working in both the contact center and the business offices, the expectations were ridiculous compared to EVERY other department. Employees are treated like children, not trusted and micro-managed.
There's very little opportunity for advancement because it isn't WHAT you know but WHO you know regardless of education and experience.
Pros
Competative Salaries & Stabalized Schedules
Cons
Gossiping co-workers, incompetent leadership, unrealistic expectations & hostile work environment
little supervision
SURVEILLANCE SPECIALIST II (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCOctober 4, 2017
Allowed you to work with little day to day supervision. The experience being involved with Nuclear construction was something I will never forget. The management team respected each employees opinion.
SCEG provided a very balance work load that was challenging and stimulating.
Engineer IV (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCSeptember 16, 2017
Review of Digital Instrumentation and controls for compliance with the certified design basis in terms of the scope of ITAAC. We reviewed requirement specifications, design descriptions, design specifications, and design outputs for AP1000 safety and non-safety control systems. The safety system was based on an ABB PLC configured in a divisional redundant configuration making it if more reliable than standard safety PLCs. The Non-safety systems (multiple) were mainly FPGA or Ovation based.
Learned the AP1000 systems, 10CFRpart 52, and part 50, all relevant IEEE, NUREG, and Regulatory guides associated with DI&C.

Management at SCE&G was very respectful of the employees and they valued contributions as well as the personal lives.

The hardest part of the job was adapting from manufacturing to the "Nuclear Safety Culture" and the most difficult part is the recent announcement that the construction project is being abandoned.

The most enjoyable part: Working with a team constructing the AP1000 Nuclear power plant, the first new nuclear construction in 37 years.
Pros
Always learning new things and great colleagues/management
Cons
Cancelling the project after spending 9 billion
Family like atmosphere, but cliqish.
Health Physics Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCSeptember 5, 2017
Mismanagement led to the layoff of my job on with the 2 new reactors being built. My manager was great to work for, it was the higher ups that lead to the disaster of 650 company employees being laid off.
very good place to work
Mechanical Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCSeptember 2, 2017
I enjoyed my time there, very relaxed. People were very helpful, too bad the project shut down. Other than that the pay was great and I only hope to find a job as good as that one.
LOVED my job
Senior Health Physics Specialist (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCSeptember 1, 2017
I loved my job at SCE&G. I wish I could go back. I was laid off after Units 2 and 3 closed. Best job I ever had. I did a good job for that company, but was let go due to where my pay was coming from.
benefits
Cons
Not working there anymore
Great Place to work
Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCAugust 17, 2017
The work environment is great. Everyone got along, and I particularly worked under a great supervisor. It is unfortunate that the project got cancelled.
1st class utility in the carolinas
Supervisor, Digital I&C and Electrical Systems (Former Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCAugust 16, 2017
Excellent place to work. Very customer orientated,. The employees are allowed to work safely and no one should get hurt at SCE&G. They encourage their employees to provide service to the community in which we serve.
Lowest Pay in the Nuke Industry
Operator (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCAugust 10, 2017
They pride themselves on their SACRED values, but did not do their due diligence in this New Nuclear Project. They didnt bother to get with other utilities to see if they were interested. They have tarnished their reputation with the rate payers and with the SC Government.
Overall
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCAugust 9, 2017
Colleagues and overall work environment are excellent. Enjoy working with student and various levels of management. Immediate supervision is accessible and have a true open door policy. Decisions and empowerment to make decisions rests at too high of a level, resulting in slow and uniformed decision making process.
My colleagues are some of the best in the industry and are very supportive.
Pros
Work life balance and compensation.
Cons
Lack of effective communication
I&C Maintenance Technician (Current Employee) –  Jenkinsville, SCAugust 2, 2017
Good place to work but cancelled the reactor project I was working on so had to find a new job, but good severance package was given, for all employees of South Carolina Gas and Electric (SCE&G).
Hard driven work pace
CONTRACT PROGRAMMER ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Columbia, SCJune 5, 2017
This job was to support the existing legacy system while a new DB2 based system was being developed. The existing legacy system was a hodge-podge of cobol, BAL, and fortran programs that constantly failed. We spen the majority of our time fighting fires.
Pros
Paid fairly well
Cons
Difficult work environment, much overtime while on call and one had to work the full day's complement as well.